Monday 10 February 2014

Manic.Monday: Ember Red

A few weeks ago I showed the first out the two Models Own Artistix Duo (£6) that I bought at the beginning of the year. It's a really fun nail art range in the same style as Revlon's Moon candy and there are twelve amazing duos to choose from. The first one I showed was Terra Crystal which is a lovely combination of coffee brown with pink crystal top coat that creates a really interesting and gritty textured concrete glam effect. Today's duo called Ember Red is a very different look, but equally lovely. The base shade Hot Red is a warm dark red, almost maroon shade and it's paired with the Ember Glow top coat, which is a glorious glitter polish with golden red, orange and bronze particles.
I've tried several nail polishes from Models Own before and I've always been very happy with the formula - it's not watery, it's quick drying, it's richly pigmented with a lovely glossy finish and it comes with a decent brush. Since Hot Lava is fairly dark, you only need one coat for a lovely rich coverage although as usual I've added a second coat for a truly opaque look. It's definitely a classic dark red shade and it looks very stylish and sophisticated on its own, you really don't need the amazing top coat, but since it is a duo product it would almost be rude not to use it - and we don't want to be accused of that now do we?

The formula of the top coat is a bit more thick than the base shade and it also takes a few mins longer to dry. Even though the brush isn't particularly wide you still get quite an even distribution of the glitter particles over the nail, although as always with glitters you may need to move some of the particles around on the nail before they set to get the look you're after. Ember Glow is an amazing glitter coat. I absolutely love the combination of the bronze golden glitters and it's not a color mix that you see very often. It's a perfect match with the dark red base shade and it really brings out the brightness of the orange and gold glitter but I would imagine that Ember Glow also would be a lovely combination with e.g. green, white or even a purple, so I'll definitely continue to experiment with it.

Since we all prefer different amount of glitter on our nails I've done exactly as I did with Terra Crystal, i.e. I'm showing you how the look changes depending on how many coats of Ember Glow you apply. With one coat only, you'll get a subtle and alluring look but it's still eye catching and interesting. Should you apply another coat you get a richer and more opulent look, that is perhaps more suitable for a party and with a third coat, you've definitely amped up the glitter but the coverage is so dense that you almost can't see the base shade.
From left to right (in natural light):
  Hot Red (2 coats)
Hot Red + 1 coat of Ember Glow
  Hot Red+ 2 coats of Ember Glow
Hot Red + 3 coats of Ember Glow

I'm not usually one to go for the minimal look when it comes to glitter, on the contrary I tend to shamelessly bling it on but in this case I actually prefer the look where I've only used one coat of Ember Glow since I think the base shade is so lovely on its own that it's a shame to cover it completely with glitter, and one coat gives just the right lovely balance of the smouldering golden glitter glow against the dark, warm background. Using one or two coats of Ember Glow will give you about 4 days of wear before it starts to chip, and if you go for a denser glitter look, I would say it lasts about 2-3 days so wear is shorter, although it's also easier to remove without having to use acetone.

63 comments:

  1. ..ahh..it looks like Christmas to me...beautiful colour..
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! It seems christmassie (is that a word?) but I think it is also perfect for Valentines! Hope you have a fun Holiday with lots of chocolate!
    Koko Baelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It's a great look - thanks a million :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. its a egregious color.love it!

    i hav started my blog recently.i wld br glad if u can chk out my blog amd lemme knw if we can follow each other....

    http://estuaray.blogspot.com/2014/02/eco-tools-six-piece-eye-set-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. It's a gorgeous classic dark red, very pretty and I would even get the duo for just this shade :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. That's really pretty - as you say the base coat alone makes it worth the purchase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, it's such a lovely shade :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. So pretty I think I may have to get this!:)x

    curlsandcometsblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both polishes are so pretty in their own right - it's a fab little duo :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. got ur comment at my blog.im glad u visit me.i am now following u at GFC and Facebook

    pls do follow me bak so we can keep updated.xoxo

    blog-http://estuaray.blogspot.com/

    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/pages/Estuaray/648121188549851?ref=tn_tnmn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the follow, that's really nice of you :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It's a great combination and I highly recommend it :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. The shade is so pretty! the perfect nail polish for fall-pure glam and so worth while!

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely - and I think Models Own even have a sale on at the moment :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. Love it! The colour is so amazing. Just perfect.
    xx
    http://www.thedutchcountryside.com
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11298797

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for the follow - follow you too :o). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous shade! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fab colour - I would have loved this at xmas!!
    Josie xoxo Fashion Mumblr

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow what a gorgeous color.
    Great blog by the way.
    Beautetude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's really nice of you and it means a lot :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. wow that looks super adorable, the nail polish is gleaming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful glitter mix, I'm definitely trying it with some other colors too :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. love the color ! so pretty :) xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Sweetie! I recently tagged you in My "7 Deadly Sins Of Beauty Tag" Blog post :) I hope you will take a look and join in on the tag :D
    Ava xox
    http://xovintagewayoflifexo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, that's very nice of you, it'll be a while until you see the replies but I haven't forgotten. :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. This colour combination is so cool! Really does look like glittering fire.

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never heard of this brand before, but the color looks awesome! I'm not big on glitter for my nails, mainly just because it is so hard to get it off! I do like it on my toes for special occasions though!!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, that seems to be the main concern for many :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. Such a pretty colour, looks gorgeous x

    daisy-drops

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, very pretty polish! Normally don't like the type with super chunky glitter but this one looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so lovely and I think it'll go with loads of different colors :o) Xx

      Makeup by Candlelight

      Delete
  23. this is such a pretty color and the glitter looks so good. sometimes glitters look really cheap or silly over nailpolish but this looks like it belongs.

    rae of lovefromberlin

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love how this looks with the matching glitter... the combo is perfect!

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - they are so well matched and really compliment each other :o). Xx

      Delete
  25. Oooo I saw that models own had a 50% off the other day but I left it too late! However I have just got my hands on some of Tanya Burr’s new polishes and glosses and have written a full review over on my blog!

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look beautiful, I got a delivery of lipglosses today but the nail polishes shades I wanted sold out before I could say Tanya Burr :O). Xx

      Delete
  26. These colours look beautiful and would look especially gorgeous in the fall when the leaves start to change colours! This also reminds me of the Hunger Games series and the whole Catching Fire :)

    -Shelby
    http://bittersweetshelby.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  27. The red is amazing! I am crazy about dark red at the moment. I'd maybe wear it with one coat of the glitter as well.
    x
    http://www.snowwhiteinwonderland.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it's just the right balance and it's such a beautiful combination :o). Xx

      Delete
  28. Love the colour especially with glitter xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really beautiful and I would definitely recommend it :o). Xx

      Delete
  29. That nail colour is to die for! Absolutely gorgeous! Love your blog by the way. One of my regulars! xx

    Mapped Out | A Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, that's so lovely of you and so nice to hear - it really means a lot :O). Xx

      Delete
  30. Love this Charlotte - with and without the glitter! I haven't used any Models Own polishes but have been looking at their pastels for Spring xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look amazing and I*m always keen to try out new gel formulas :o). Xx

      Delete
  31. I love this color with or without glitter. xox

    ReplyDelete
  32. Replies
    1. Love the finish, it does remind me of an Essie polish though! x

      find me on 9outoften.com

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!