Monday 21 July 2014

Manic.Monday: She paints seashells on the seashore

Summer time is sunny time is beach time - warm golden soft sands, cooling turquoise blue waters, wispy palm trees swaying in the wind and beautiful unusual seashells waiting to be collected as a memento from the holiday. Somehow everything is better at the beach; even the most minimal tan looks gorgeously bronzed, wavy boho hair comes without having to use lots of hair products and bizarre looking styling tools and natural sunkissed skin smells lovelier than some of the most prestigious perfumes in the world. Now you can have that relaxed beach feeling everyday with the help of the latest of Ciaté's innovative textured manis; it's Ciaté's Shell Manicure (£20) so forget your pastels, forget your neons - this summer the coolest nails are covered with crushed seashells!
 
This latest ingenious look from Ciaté comes in sets of three different colors with one base shade and one bottle of shell fragments in a matching color; pink (She Sells Seashells), white (Wish Upon A Starfish) and this gorgeous muted lilac called Mermaid You Look. The base shade in this kit is Pillow Fight (£9), a lovely muted thistle color for a subtle and sophisticated look and although the formula is perhaps a tiny bit more fluid than your average nail polish, the consistency is still easy to work with for an even finish and it's also very quick drying, always a plus when you want to build a nice opaque finish. The pigmentation is nice and strong even with a softer shade like Pillow Fight, although for me personally one coat only is on the sheer side so as usual I prefer to apply two coats for some solid color blocking, especially to off set an effect finish like these seashells. On me two coats under a top coat lasts about four days, which is a bit longer than average in my opinion and it's still very easy to remove using a standard nail polish remover.

Now on to the fun bit - the seashells! As with all these manicure kits you can be as creative as you like and wear the textured effect on as many nails as you wish, but for me less is more and one or two nails creates just the right impact. I love the untamed, natural and ever so slightly rough look and feel of the crushed seashells. The color of the shells is a gorgeous pearlescent lilac and mauve with a silver shine to it, perfect with a tan for a mermaid inspired look. Pour a generous amount of the fragments over a nail that has just been painted, then tap the shards gently into place and repeat a few times until there's an even coarse and fairly dense coating of seashells. Once you've applied as much as you want, you could finish with a topcoat to seal in the fragments, and make the finish potentially last longer but personally I think it ruins the relaxed but interesting and eye catching effect. As unusual and unique as this look is, it does require some patience from the wearer since it's far from practical. Because of the rough edges and the different shaped fragments some of them will stick out more than others, resulting in a lot of things getting caught on them - hair, lace, linen anything really that has a slightly uneven surface, which also means that the look won't remain pristine and perfect for long.
Without a top coat the effect lasts about two days before the first flakes start to come off, although you'll still get at least two more days wear out of it, and it is very easy to cover up any areas with more seashells as needed. Not unsurprisingly this textured finish takes a bit of work to remove, but in my opinion it's well worth the effort for a one of a kind, remarkable finish. If the choice is between this and some of the other seasonal colors, I know which one I'd rather shell out on - bring on the seaside look, and embrace your inner mermaid.  


35 comments:

  1. Such gorgeous shades, love them both!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I love the uneven texture of the seashells! :o) Xx

      Delete
  2. Ooooh wow! That looks so pretty! The colours work so well together, although, I think I wouldn't have the patience to wear the shells. Great post, very detailed! x
    Olivia's Notebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Olivia, I really appreciate your lovely feedback :o) Xx

      Delete
  3. That shell polish is stunning! I love it!

    www.peonyandpeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's unusual but not too crazy so you can definitely work it at work too so to speak :o) Xx

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love this polish combo!!!
    Ciaté make amazing effect packs I love them!
    xo Holly xo

    HollyDolly. 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they do!!!! I want every single one of them :o) Xx

      Delete
  5. I love this duo! And the shade is beautiful, very chic!
    Ps. I'm glad you're back in Blogosphere:)
    http://mummysbeautycorner.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dagmara, that really means a lot. I'm so happy to be back and fingers crossed it'll be less manic now :o) Xx

      Delete
  6. Such a different idea to everything else on the market, love this set!

    Jen | BeautyFull Sparx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, I completely agree, it's very different from the other things you've seen this summer :o) Xx

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks a million Lauren, I'm glad you like it - I really love the untamed look of it and the natural pearlescent shine :o) Xx

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous polish! I got Pillow Fight free in Marie Claire last month and I love it so much. :D Gorgeous shade for autumn and winter.

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, it's very sophisticated on it's own - a gorgeous greige shade :o) Xx

      Delete
  9. This looks lovely, such a beautiful shade. xx

    Julie
    www.rainingcake.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Julie, I love this muted purple :o) Xx

      Delete
  10. Ciate always have the coolest manicure sets! I can't believe they do a crushed shells one now. It looks amazing! Such a cool creation haha! x

    Mapped Out | Fashion, Beauty, Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look soooo pretty together!!! Can't believe it's made of sea shell fragments!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! Just SO Ciaté to come up with something like this :o) Xx

      Delete
  12. I love it! but only in one or other nail though, just like you show here.

    http://strawberryleopard.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ana, I agree with you - also, it really stands out that way :o) Xx

      Delete
  13. I wasn't sure about it, but seeing your beautiful mani, I want this nail polish!!! :)

    Mademoiselle-Lala.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you don't get better feedback than that :o), thank you SO much :o) Xx

      Delete
  14. This effect is so cool! It'd be great for a special event or a night out :)
    BeyondBlush

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a beautiful combo Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super pretty nails, Charlotte! I hadn't heard of Ciate's 'Shell' manicure, only their pearly ones - I really like 'Pillow Fight', I love those muted shades. WIll have to try this kit out sometime!

    Meg at Meg Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! It's a fairly new kit, but so lovely and both the pink and the white are gorgeous too :o) Xx

      Delete
  17. What an amazing idea; I love it! xxx
    The Jolly Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm kind of skeptical on the texture top coats/caviar things, but shells is so unique?
    What will they think of next!

    x
    AmBlog - Life, Beauty & Anything In Between.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!