Wednesday 4 December 2013

The scent of Christmas

What does Christmas smell like? Well, I think the answer to that is different for everyone but for me it has several different scents. There's the warm soft, spicy, citrus scent of food, drinks and goodies, there's the aromatic, deep green and earthy scent of the Christmas tree and there's the dry, cold, clean smell of snow. When I stocked up on candles for the month to come, this is exactly the mix of scents that I tried to capture, so let's have a look at what I ended up with.

There are several great candle makers that come up with wonderful tempting scents but my favourite brand is Lily-Flame Candles. Ever since I stumbled on my first candle in Waitrose - Fairy Dust, which I must have used about 10 of this year..., I've been a great fan and have tried quite a few candles from their range. Lily-Flame do scented tins in different sizes, candles in a glass and reed diffusers, but I especially like the scented tins. They have a super range of scents with something for everyone, and the candle in each tin looks so pretty with marshmallow type decorations in different colors - good enough to eat actually. The scented tins are very reasonably priced at £8.50 and for that you'll get about 35 hrs of burn time and they burn exceptionally well, not leaving a crater in the middle with lots of waste on the sides.
Jack Frost is a gorgeous cool, sparkling crisp and ever so slightly sweet scent of lemon grass and musk, and for me it makes me think about sunny, cold and snowy Boxing day when you've been out for a long walk and you come into the warmth to eat some more yummy food - oh.... I can't wait... 

From cool and crisp to something completely different with Winter Wood. It's a very distinct, warm aromatic and strong but fresh scent of Christmas tree and pine cones. I hadn't tried this candle before and I am a little bit apprehensive since in the tin it almost smells a little bit like a soapy bubble bath, but fingers crossed it'll warm up more forrest and less soap. 

Now we come to the more homely, foodie scents, starting with Christmas Spice - a warm, and aromatic hearty mix of cinnamon and ground cloves which creates a very spicy, almost slightly oriental smokey scent. This to me is the night before Christmas - you're all snuggled up in your best Christmas leggings and jumper in front of the fireplace with a Christmas tree, having mulled wine and mince pies.

The last candle is also of a foodie kind, smelling just like a scrumptious Christmas dessert. Festive Cheer has rich chocolate, roasted nuts and almonds, and spicy but sweet gingerbread. It's a wonderful piquant and very slightly peppery smell.

These are all very different but they're also all of them comforting, and reassuring in their own way. It'll be lovely to have the different scents of Christmas filling the house. I wonder which candle I should start with...?

52 comments:

  1. Aww omggg! Those scented candles look gorgeous! xx
    Kisses,
    http://flowersandlaces.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These candles are adorable! I absolutely love burning candles in the colder months! :)

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily Flame candles are wonderful, and I've actually started with Winter Wood and am VERY pleasantly surprised :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. Great review! They look so tempring :-D
    Bisou

    Viky --- MySecretFashionPoison

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure do love my scented candles :) I will have to give these ones ago thanks for sharing xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and if you're not into the Christmas scents Fairy Dust is another amazing option! Xx

      http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
  5. I have never seen these candles before, they look and sound amazing! Shall have to try them out sometime!

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really good value for money and have a super range of scents :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. I love having candles everywhere, we have lots of wooden wick ones, I love the sound of them crackling!
    Winter wood sounds lovely, I like that you mentioned they burn all the way, there is nothing worse than a candle only burning on one side or down the middle, a yankee candle (a large one!) did this to me last week!

    Ineffable Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always a disappointment, even if the scent is amazing I kind of want more from the candle :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. Oh my god! They look so yummy. I would love to try them but unfortunately I don't think I can get them where I live. :/

    Blu Button Box

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get them from Amazon and eBay as well, so you might get lucky :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. Christmas smells like tangerines:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soo true - I wish I had saved some of my citrus candles as well :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. Think I will have to take a trip to Waitrose :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) - and I think I'll also get the Blue Hyacinth, since that to me is soo Christmasy :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. Festive Cheer and Christmas Spice sound AMAZING. If you get a chance for another browse of Lily Flame candles, definitely check out their Rhubarb candle - it smells exactly like Rhubard and Custard sweets and it's probably the most amazing candle I have ever sniffed! It's well and truly on my wishlist!

    www.ceejayell.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Carly - thank you so much for the recommendation, I will definitely get that :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. Oh my I do love candles and these look amazing, wish i could have a sniff ha ha! :) xx
    http://insaneaboutmakeup.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) - they really are wonderful, bring on scent-inet :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. I think I'm swaying towards Jack Frost and Festive Cheer, I'm not keen on the spicy scents and much prefer the sweet/musky. Thanks for sharing as I've never heard of this brand before x

    fabheadtotoe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to Jack Frost, it's such a zingy crisp scent :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. I enjoy candles and this collection its so pretty.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the little marshmallow decorations - so yummy! Xx

      Delete
  14. I smelt these the other day, i love them!

    Hannah Heartss xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are wonderful aren't they :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. I love christmas candles! My fave ones are the ones that smell like vanilla or cookies ^^
    xoxo

    Novelstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I really like cookie or candy smells too :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. Thank you very much, follow you :o). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW THEY LOOK GREAT ! i love candles no matter if its christmas or not :D

    Maybe we follow each other !?
    Let me know if you follow me & i´ll follow back :)

    Greetings <3

    www.YulieKendra.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post!! I absolutely love Christmas candles especially cinnamon!! :)

    Feel free to visit my blog as well! You will find topics such as health, NYC fashion, personal growth and motivation between others! <3

    Diana
    www.ManhattanImageandStyle.com
    New Blog Post: How to Buy The Perfect Winter Coat For You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, I'm quite partial to the warm spicy scents as well :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. Mmm these sound so lovely. It must be wonderful to be able to be so festive and celebrate Xmas in cold Winter weather versus the cooking hot summer here in SA makes it impossible to even consider burning candles etc this time of the year.

    xoxo One Stiletto At a Time fashion and beauty blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, of course - I guess it all depends on what you're used to as well, but it's always fun to see Santa go surfing on a wave :o). Xx

      Delete
  20. Hi Charlotte, the Jack Frost and Festive Cheer candles sound lovely! I haven't tried a Lily Flame candle yet but they're on my Christmas list. I really want to try Chocolate Truffle, Coffee Galore, Fairy Dust and Rhubarb! x
    The Jolly Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yes, they have so much to choose from and I'm sure they'll have something for everyone :o). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Christmas scents are the best! I love pine and evergreen scents :)

    xo Megan, LushtoBlush.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the sound of Jack frost. I've never tried Lily flame but they look so pretty. For me Christmas smells like cinnamon and pine mmm xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how you can create a completely different mood just by changing the scent :o)? Xx

      Delete
  24. I love the flavors, I think everyone should have in home holiday scented with odors winter. Kisses...

    http://fotofashionfeelings.blogspot.ro/

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fotofashionfeelings/544500558969009

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - I'm very happy with them so far :o). Xx

      Delete
  25. These look so cute!

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are almost too pretty to use up :o). Xx

      Delete
  26. Aaah I love these candles! I haven't got a christmas one :( need to take a leaf out of your book! I keep buying Blush over and over again because it smells so amazing :o) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy with Winter woods, even though I was a bit sceptical at first, but it's not at all as soapy as it seemed - and since we're getting a X-mas tree this weekend, the house will definitely smell of different types of trees :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. I've never owned a Lily Flame candle but the amount of times I've smelt Fairy Dust and wanted it, but I've yet to buy it! :(

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, it's in my opinion the very best one and it smells exactly the same when you burn it - it's amazing! Xx

      Delete
  28. Replies
    1. They are amazing and Jack Frost is so fresh and zesty but warm at the same time :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!