Friday 20 December 2013

My big fat Greek food box

I know that we're all looking forward to some lovely Christmas food and right in the middle of all the preparations, I get a delivery from Kitchen Nomad, my monthly subscription of a box of food from somewhere exciting in the world and this month the focus was on Greek food. Greece is a country very close to my heart since I've been very fortunate to not only travel around a lot in Greece but I've also lived there, on an island in the Cyclades called Naxos. It's not always easy finding good food that doesn't contain meat or poultry in some countries in the world, but in Greece it was a doddle since a lot of the cuisine is based on fantastic fresh vegetables and fish flavored with wonderful herbs and spices. So what's in the box to recreate some food memories this time around?
 Ingredients
Kalamata extra virgin olive oil - from the Kalamata region on Peloponessos (Southern Greece), known for its peppery and herbal flavor
Vine leaves in brine - essential for Dolmades, yum yum
Pickled capers - use in salads, or with fish or as a pizza topping. Oh, I love the saltiness of these!!
Orzo pasta - almost looks like a big grain of rice, but it is actually a type of macaroni and it's perfect to use in soups or stuffing
Kalamata black olives - dark purple olives
Cassia bark - similar to cinnamon but much more intensive, used for marinades and infusions
Organic pressed tomato sauce
Dukkah spice mix - spicy blend of nuts, seeds, herbs and spice used for dips
Dried Greek figs

What feast are we cooking up this time?
Starter:
Dolmades (Stuffed vine leaves) -  Vine leaves stuffed with rice, tomatoes, onion, parsley, mint and lemon juice - simple but incredibly flavorsome
Dip with dukkah spice -  you can sprinkle the dukkah over yoghurt or just dip bread in olive oil and the dukkah
Mains:
Youvestsi with orzo and cassia bark - protein (it's supposed to be lamb really), onions, tomato sauce, garlic, cassia bark, orzo and feta cheese
Prawn saganaki with tomato sauce - prawns in a garlicky olive and tomato sauce, sprinkled with feta cheese and baked in the oven
Tarte with black olives and capers - puff pastry covered with olives, capers, fresh tomatoes, basil and rosemary
 
Dessert:
Fig and walnut bake - figs and walnuts baked in honey, cassia bark and served with yoghurt
Cafe frappe - Ice coffee with lots of froth. I take mine medium sweet with milk - oh the memories...
This food box certainly brought back some lovely memories of the amazing tasty food that Greece has to offer, and after Boxing day when we're all fed up with Christmas food and leftovers, I think a big fat Greek buffet with lots of ouzo and wine will be a welcome change. We might even leave all the dirty Christmas plates and do some plate smashing... Opa!

27 comments:

  1. Love this idea... Never heard of Kitchen Nomad before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great fun concept to try different foods every month :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. Love this idea... Never heard of Kitchen Nomad before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great fun concept to try different foods every month :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. Wow this is so cool!..would love to try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fab and I've been so happy with the ingredients I've received so far :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. Great idea, would love to try, nice post honey <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way of trying foods from around the world! x

    amuchprettierpuzzle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, all the boxes have been great but the Mexican recipes are the ones we've used the most so far :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. Love this never seen it before would make a great gift!

    www.mybeautysleuth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree, and it's so much fun to learn about new cuisines every month :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. I love feta cheese, the olives! Great post!
    xoxo
    You are invited on my International Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh me too, I'll put feta over anything, including crumbling over a soup with some nuts and seeds - it turns anything into a delicacy :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh, so fun!! I definitely agree that a Greek buffet would be great after the holidays!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeeeay, I might even brave a bit of dancing on the tables :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. You know, I havent heard about this box so far, the concept is really cool and fun, love trying the kitchens from all around the world. Have a great weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my God, I love Greek food since I've been to Greece....:) I think the best oil, fruits and dairy come from there.


    www.lightsforana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, lots of lovely things to try and I think I need to find a great Greek restaurant around here for some more inspiration :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. great idea! this concept sounds nice!
    xoxo
    http://dailyfashiondream.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a super idea and I'm a bit surprised that we don't see more of these food boxes :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. Such a good idea, especially with the recipe cards. Which has been your favourite cuisine so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question - the Mexican actually because the recipes are so easy and quick to make and those are the ones we've recreated the most :o). Have a super weekend! Xx

      Delete
  13. this food box is such a great idea! don't think we have it here but love to order it



    xx
    bianca
    www.worryaboutitlater.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find something similar - it's a brilliant idea :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness. This looks awesome. I absolutely love Greek food. When we stayed in Greece, there was a little fast food stand just down from us and they did gyros for like 1.50 euros. Lashings of tzatiki. NomNom. And there was an awesome restaurant that did the best stuffed vine leaves. And don't even get me started on the grilled fish. I so want to go back to Greece. I love it. Must have been amazing to live there! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I miss the little gyros shacks - simple food but sooo rich in flavor! :o) Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!