Friday 13 December 2013

Dec 13 - St. Lucia

Today it's Dec 13, a very special day in the Scandinavian calendar when we celebrate Lucia which is probably one of the most popular traditions throughout the year, and an important part of the overall Christmas festivities. Lucia is celebrated with a procession, a group of girls and boys dressed in white who sing traditional songs and it's lit by thousands of candles. The celebration has roots in both pagan and Christian myths, but mostly it's about the principle of light overcoming darkness. Lucia is seen as the Bringer of Light and since Dec 13 is the longest night of the year, the procession marks a turning point to show that lighter days will return soon - and during the dark winter in the north of Scandinavia where we only have sunlight for a few hrs every day, we really need a reminder that the darkest days of the year have passed. It's a beautiful, suggestive and moving tradition, and all over the country in more or less every work place and school - there will be a candle lit Lucia procession that most people will take time out to watch.
 Traditional Lucia procession

It might not be as dark in the winter time here in the UK as it is in Scandinavia, but today is still a turning point of the year and I'm looking ahead to warmer and lighter days, when it would be perfect to wear this beautiful and summery Essie nail polish (£7.99), appropriately named - St. Lucia. Essie must be one of the most famous and popular nail brands in the world and I'm fairly sure that a lot of that has to do with the fact that Essie has an amazing range of shades to choose from, each looking lovelier than the other. I think there are more than 70 of them from the lightest, most subtle natural shades to deep, rich and hearty shades. St. Lucia is a gorgeous creamy and delicate pale misty lilac, as if you've taken one single blueberry, squashed it and let it drip into a milkshake.

The formula is quite thin, and personally I can find it a bit difficult to work with it, especially if it's a lighter shade since they are more sheer and you might end up with streaking (in my case I always do with the first coat). I would have liked the formula to be just a little thicker to make it easier to apply the lighter shades, including St. Lucia particularly since the brush isn't very wide either. The brush is perhaps slightly more narrow than the average brush, and for me it works better with the less sheer shades, since you have to worry less about getting an even coverage. Even if the formula is a little thin, it dries quickly so you can quickly apply as many coats as you need to get a lovely finish and in the photo I'm wearing two coats, without the nails looking heavy.
 With Nails Inc Snowflake effect (surprise, surprise!) as accent nail 

Even though I've read reviews of Essie polishes lasting up to a week without any imperfections, and perhaps it depends on the shade but unfortunately St. Lucia only lasts up to about 2 days on me before it starts to chip a little. I have had this issue with lighter shades of Essie before, which is why I tend to mostly buy the more pigmented shades since they are not only easier to work with, but I also find that they wear a bit better - however this shade is so graceful and sublime that I'm not going to hold a grudge, although ideally I would have liked it to last longer. 

Where there are Scandinavians in the world, there will be Lucia celebrations tonight, and Him Indoors and I are actually going in to London to watch the procession at St. Paul's Cathedral, and I'm so looking forward to it. I wish you all Happy Lucia!

39 comments:

  1. Happy Lucia Charlotte :D I had never heard of it before reading this post :) your nails looks so pretty, and that top coat is lovely xx

    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gemma, thank you that's so lovely of you - have a lovely Lucia :o)! Xx

      Delete
  2. Happy Lucia. Seems so festive! Fancy!

    Ayesha
    Defining Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you and have a wonderful weekend :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. Happy Lucia! Love the nails x
    http://www.lornaswishingwell.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - hope you have a great evening :o)! Xx

      Delete
  4. Happy Lucia! I had never heard of this before but it sounds so nice :) love the lilac xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely tradition and I'm so excited to see it at St. Paul's tonight :O). Have a wonderful Lucia night :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. This color is so tempting! Great effect on your nails ;-)
    Bisou

    Viky --- MySecretFashionPoison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gorgeous shade, it's just a shame that it doesn't last very long :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. I love that color!

    Federica
    http://www.thecutielicious.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful subtle shade and I think I'll Snowflake all of the nails now as it's started to chip :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. Ohh So lovely, Happy St. Lucia Charlotte!
    Adorable nailpolish.
    Kisses
    The Indian Savage Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and the same to you - have a great weekend :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. Ohh So lovely, Happy St. Lucia Charlotte!
    Adorable nailpolish.
    Kisses
    The Indian Savage Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and the same to you - have a great weekend :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. Happy St Lucia Charlotte like that essie has a nail polish name after your festivities and a beautiful shade.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's a lovely delicate shade, it's a just a shame that it doesn't last very long! Have a super weekend! Xx

      Delete
  10. I have never heard of St. Lucia but it sounds so lovely. I love how it is all done by candle light. Sounds amazing! Its something I would definitely love to see!
    Enjoy your weekend and the procession at St Pauls!

    Rachael x
    All The Little Things x | Rachael McClenaghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachael, thank you so much I will do - I wish I could take photos, but apparently it's not allowed in the cathedral... :/. Enjoy the weekend! Xx

      Delete
  11. Thank you, I think it's a nice subtle effect :o). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Hej Helena - tack detsamma, det ska bli så roligt att se ett riktigt luciatåg "live" för första gången på evigheter :o)! Xx

      Delete
  13. That looks like such a wonderful holiday, so magical! Loving the nail polish too!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's a gorgeous shade and I think it works really well for winter wear too :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. I never even knew this holiday existed! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a beautiful celebration!! Pretty nail color, too!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an amazing procession at St. Paul's last night, even Him Indoors was touched :O). Xx

      Delete
  16. The celebration for Lucia sounds really lovely and that nail color is lovely as well!

    Rowena @ rolala loves
    Enter my Blue Nile necklace giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a sheer wintery color, despite the name :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. Celebrations sounds lovely and loving that accent nail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) - I'm completely addicted to my Snowflake effect! Xx

      Delete
  18. Happy Lucia! + love that polish colour! L xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - hope you have a great weekend :o)! Xx

      Delete
  19. Amazing nail style! Great color;)

    http://theprintedsea.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely looking procession! I wished I had heard of it, we don't celebrate it here in Ireland :( I love the symbolism behind it too :) Happy Lucia :)
    lipstickandlightening.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautifully procession yesterday at St. Paul's and the singing was fantastic :o). Thank you and have a wonderful weekend! Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!