Saturday 5 October 2013

Fave 5 Rimmel products

Rimmel London is a brand known for being very current, fashion forward and edgy - producing great quality products at affordable prices. They have lots of different items in their range that all aim to capture the "London Look", i.e. lots of individuality, style and quirkiness. What I didn't realise is that despite this emphasis on the here and now, Rimmel is actually a brand with a history dating back to 1834 when it was founded by Eugene Rimmel. At the time it was mostly a perfume store, but as we all know Rimmel has added new strings on their bow since then. My new found passion for Rimmel started with the Apocalips lip lacquers and since then I've just added more and more of the product range to my makeup bag and today I'm giving you a view of my current favourite 5 Rimmel products.

I know that there are lots of concealers on the market and the NARS Radiant Creamy concealer definitely has a bit of a write up, but I have to be honest and say that my best experience of concealers have been with budget version. First with the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer and now the Wake Me Up Concealer which is a fantastic product. I started using my Wake Me Up concealer in Ivory primarily under my eyes because of the lovely illuminating effect, but I'm now using it on other areas of my face as well now since my tan has gradually faded and she Ivory shade just works super at the moment. It's a great product that gives full seamless coverage but also brightens at the same time, so it gives a very dewy impression without being shiny in any way. It feels so light and lovely on your skin and it lasts all day long without having to correct it. So why spend a fortune when you can get an amazing product like this from Rimmel?
Another well loved Rimmel favourite of mine is the Stay Matte Pressed Powder in Transparent. I don't need or use a lot of powder so I'm definitely not a powder expert, but for me this is an excellent product that does exactly what it says on the tin. It mattifies the skin and controls any shine, and it gives a flawless finish that isn't cakey or sits heavy on the skin. It's wonderful to wear, and easy to touch up without any strong scent. The product does claim to control shine up to 5 hrs, but on my skin it's more like 3, although I have no problems to touch up during the day when necessary.

One of my most loved looks is the winged liner and despite having practised how to apply it for years - I'm still rubbish at it. One product that makes it a little bit easier to get that feline look is the Scandaleyes Thick & Thin Liner in black. The reason it's one of my favourite Rimmel products is that it gives a highly pigmented and intense thin or thick line depending on how you use it, that simply will not budge for anything. It's waterproof, sweat proof, flake proof - you name it and I'm sure it will resist it. It's a felt tip format with a very slight slant to it, that is so easy to use and I've been very happy with the results. Even though it lasts all day it's still easy to remove in the evening without having to special products for waterproof make up.

I've been a little bit old fashioned when it comes to eye shadows and have up until now always preferred to work with powder shadows, but there are so many other formats to dabble with and I've even surprised myself with how much I've enjoyed working with the Scandaleyes Shadow Paint. It's a wonderful cream shadow formula with a little bit of shimmer to it. I've been using Golden Bronze and Rich Russet and since the range of shades at the moment is very limited, these are my favourite ones. They are easy to apply, blend in beautifully and give a nice coverage. I like to apply and blend in 2 coats of the shade I'm using, particularly if I want it to have more of an impact and for it to last longer. The description says that they last all day, but to be honest I don't agree with that and I find that it creases (despite using primer) and at least on me it definitely doesn't last flawlessly all day. This doesn't take away from the fact that it's a lovely product to use and I will definitely get more shades eventually.
From top to bottom:
Scandaleyes Shadow Paint - Golden Bronze
Scandaleyes Shadow Paint - Rich Russet
Scandaleyes Thick & Thin Liner - Black
Apocalips Lip Lacquer - Aurora 

One of my favourite lip products this year has been Apocalips Lip Lacquers. They have been on the market for quite a while now, but if you haven't tried them yet, you simply HAVE TO. They give such an intense dash of color and sleek satin finish at the same time - they are absolutely amazing. The lovely creamy formula means that it feels as if the lip lacquer hydrates and conditions your lips throughout the day and it's so pleasant to wear. For me some shades don't wear as well as others throughout the day, but my all time favourite Celestial and this new shade Aurora  that I have started using for autumn,  both fade in an even way without leaving a horrible, dried lip contour. The newbie of my Apocalips family - Aurora is a gorgeous rosy mauve pink with a very subtle blue undertone and it looks beautiful with a neutral or metallic eye.

Are any of these Rimmel products also your favourites? Which brand would you like to see in the next Fave 5 post?

67 comments:

  1. The lip lacquers look great. I have been meaning to try them.
    Great post :-)

    Rachael x
    All The Little Things x | Rachael McClenaghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - they are absolutely amazing, I don't think you'd be disappointed :O). Xx

      Delete
  2. Great choices. I love Stay Matte Powder too. I love the eye paint in golden bronze, it's so pretty! xx

    Kate | A British Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million - it took me a few tries to get the hang of how to blend it nicely but now there's no going back :O). Xx

      Delete
  3. I love Rimmel so much - I can't believe I still need to buy a lacquere! (It's because I can't choose a colour!) Xx
    thriftyskies | beauty and trends ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - you're right though, most of them are lovely! Xx

      Delete
  4. Rimmel was discontinued in Germany! :( That apocalips looks fantastic!
    xoxo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no - I'd heard that about other countries as well e.g. Sweden. What a shame, eBay it is then :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. Aaah, Rimmel just kills it when it comes to affordable, good quality products. It's by far my favourite high street brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely get that since they have so much to choose from :O). Xx

      Delete
  6. I forgot about that concealer! I ran out and never bought it again but I think I will rekindle my love with it soon!

    www.makingmeblushblog.wordpress.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started to use it I liked it, but now after a few weeks I absolutely love it :O). Xx

      Delete
  7. I've liked the look of the matte powder for a while, but wish it lasted longer than 3/4 hrs. I wonder if there is a powder that you wouldn't have to reapply during a working day? Would be fab if there is! Great selection of products.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, yes I know what you mean - most of the time I carry with me blotting papers to deal with it, but I'm also hoping that the magic powder will come one day :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. i got Apocalips after you suggested it...loved it...
    thanx!!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeay - I'm so glad, which shade did you get? Xx

      Delete
  9. Great post!! I definitely need to try out the shaddow paint! I recently got the apocalips too but tried them out and i'm so not brave enough for a bright lip!!

    www.SunshineMalone.blogsot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rohini and thanks a million for visiting and your lovely comment. The shadow paints are wonderful, the only thing for me personally is that they don't have very many shades to choose from at the moment, but hopefully Rimmel will add some new colors eventually! Xx

      Delete
  10. I have only tried the stay matte powder out of these products - the shadow paint cream eyeshadows sound great! x


    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Heather, the Stay matte powder is a staple item for me these days and I can't believe you can find such a great quality powder at such a low price :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. Wow!! Lovely post :) i love rimmel products a lot :)

    www.beautyfrontline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much that's really nice of you, hope you'll visit again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. Rimmel is great and has a good quality <3

    memoiresdecouture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree - super value for money :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. Great items!
    Love your blog xx
    http://aimerose.blogspot.dk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's really nice of you! Following you now and hope you'll come back and visit again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. I really wanted to try the wake me up concealer but the shades are all too light for me :'( and I want the Scandaleyes eyeliner now, and I already wanted the mascarra of scandaleyes haha

    http://daisychainprincses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bess, and thank you for visiting! The eyeliner is great, well worth the money :o). Follow you now and hope you'll visit again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. I need a new liquid eyeliner. I may try this one out because I haven't used a liquid in years and miss it! Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend!

    xx Easy Outfits, by Pip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Pip - thanks for stopping by :o). It's a great eyeliner and so easy to work with creating both very fine and thicker lines. Have a wonderful weekend :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. I'm guilty of neglecting Rimmel in recent years, I used them heavily as a teen but favoured more expensive brands in my twenties but have recently rekindled a love for them after trying a few of their lipsticks.

    I haven't seen the shadowpaint before and to be honest I might have ignored them as the product doesn't look as good in the packaging as it does on your hand, I might have to give it a go even if they don't last all day!


    Sharon xx

    Beauty, Miscellany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Sharon, I know exactly what you mean. It's not until this last year really that I've started appreciating Rimmel again, and it was the Apocalips that got me started. Thank you so much for your comment and hope you'll visit again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. Rich Russet looks amazing! I have to try it!

    http://beautylovesbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got it by mistake LOL but now it's turned into a favourite :O). Xx

      Delete
  18. The gold and silver is super gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm glad you like them :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. Hello Vanessa! Thank you for stopping by and for leaving such a nice comment! Following you as well and hope to see you here again soon :o). Loved your inspirational photos for Halloween :o). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I started using the rimmel wake me up concealer not long ago and I'm loving it so far. it doesn't feel heavy or look cakey and so far hasn't made my skin react In any way (knock on wood). I would love to see a top 5 bourjois products! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saida - I agree with you, it's such a lovely light product. Thank you so much for the suggestion - I have actually already done a Bourjois post here - http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/fave-5-bourjois-products.html, but as they add new products I'll probably do another one in a few months or so :o). Have a super weekend :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. I'm such a Rimmel lover too, probably my favourite brand right now! Must get some of the scandaleyes shadows, been wanting them for so long.
    Tania x
    Make-up-maggie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, I hope you'll enjoy using them as much as I do :o). Xx

      Delete
  22. I really need to get my hands on some of those lip lacquers!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like them - I find the red and vibrant shades a little bit trickier to work with since you have to take care when you apply it - they're so strongly pigmented, but e.g. Celestial and Nova are softer and wonderful shades :o). Xx

      Delete
  23. lots of bloggers love the Rimmel stay matte powder it's meant to be amazing! great post xx
    laurathinksabout.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Rimmel! It's sells great quality products for the right price :D

    I hope you can check out my blog too, and let me know if you'd live to follow each other!

    Love

    Grace x

    my blog: http://blondiesstylefix.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HIya Grace, thank you so much for visiting and for leaving a comment. Have joined your blog and hope you'll visit again soon :o)! Xx

      Delete
  25. I use the Stay Matte powder and their Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal eyeliners everyday, they are the best products ever! I also have a lip lacquer in Celestial and it's super pigmented. Great post :)

    http://www.blogthiswithhannah.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - they really are fabulous! Have a great weekend ! Xx

      Delete
  26. Thanks for sharing this with us! I absolutely LOVE the Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer! It's nothing like all the other concealers I've tried! I haven't gotten around to trying more of their cosmetics besides the Wake Me Up Concealer and shimmer highlighter and the Fix&Perfect Pro Primer (LOVEEEE). Oh wait! I lied, I absolutely LOVE their Lash Accelerator too! Hmm.. is that enough to deem myself as a Rimmel fan =) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds to me like you're well in the Rimmel fan club LOL. Xx

      Delete
  27. I loveee most Rimmel products but those eyeshadow paints... ughh! The applicator makes me squirm so much, worst texture ever it freaks me out ha!

    http://itcantbeanotherbeautyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really, well they do take a little getting used to perhaps :o). Xx

      Delete
  28. While I love the idea or Rimmel, the products themselves are usually hit-or-miss with me. Their face products, 9 out of 10 times just don't work with my skin tone. Their eye and lip products on the other hand are perfect for me! I think I'll go ahead and try that eyeliner :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand how you feel, I'm the same with a lot of other brands and I also find it difficult to find the perfect match when it comes to skin tones. For me No 7 is the closest match for me so far :O). Xx

      Delete
  29. Great post! I actually don't use many Rimmel products (I have a bunch of the Rimmel Apocalips though) but I will keep a lookout for these ones now that you've recommended them! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's so lovely of you :o). Xx

      Delete
  30. Hi! Lovely post! I have Apocalips Aurora and I absolutely love it. :) I wan't sure about the liquid shadows...but after reading this I might give them a try soon. XX

    www.amkeupandstilettos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, that's really nice of you! Aurora is just beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing even more shades being released eventually :o). Xx

      Delete
  31. The gold look so beautiful, I have been searching for a while for something like this

    http://o-fata-simpla.blogspot.ro/2013/10/lets-be-serious.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really lovely, a bit different in the beginning but the result is really nice :o). Xx

      Delete
  32. Holy 'Golden Bronze' and Rich Russet is stunning @_@
    I'll have to get my hands on them asap and try an eyeshadow primer underneath them
    I've yet to find a decent liquid liner, so perhaps I'll pick up 'Thick and Thin' when I eventually find them!

    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry ʘ‿ʘ | Makeup & Silly things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll be happy with them, they work great together for a metallic look :o). Xx

      Delete
  33. The concealer sounds lush! I know a gazillion bloggers have been blogging about the Apocalips but I've never been tempted honestly, the colour looks gorgeous though x

    9 out of ten | follow me on bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you so much for visiting! That's how I feel about some products as well :o). Hope you'll come bacak and visit again soon :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!