Tuesday 8 October 2013

Guilt free chocolate treats

Chocolate, hmm - just the thought of it make chocoholics all over the world go nuts for it! We all know about the downside of eating too much chocolate, so let's not dwell on that, but fact of the matter is that dark chocolate can have some health benefits too if eaten in moderation. E.g. it can reduce blood pressure, lower cholesterol levels and eating chocolate also releases endorphines making you happy. To celebrate the beauty of the cocoa bean I thought I would do a post entirely dedicated to chocolate - but the guilt free way of enjoying where you can surround yourself with the amazing rich cocoa scent and enjoy all the flavours without any of the calories!

Let's start this chocolate bonanza with the Bourjois Bronzing Powder, Delice de Poudre. I am almost ashamed to mention this product again since I know it has figured in at lot of previous posts, but I guess that just shows how much of a staple item this bronzing powder is to me. The super fine texture makes it lovely to apply and I use it for sculpting when I'm a bit paler and as a blusher when I have a bit of a tan. For me both the shade 51 and 52 are great to work with and it gives color with a very subtle, barely noticeable shimmer of gold for a healthy look, without giving that dirty appearance that some bronzers can. The chocolate bar look of the packaging is so cute, and the dusty scent of cocoa that reminds me of an old chocolate bar is pleasant and a fun element.

Despite a bad experience with a Lush Fresh Face Mask, I wasn't ready to give up on the idea of them yet and I wanted to give them another chance. On recommendation I got the Lush Fresh Face Mask in Cupcake, and wow I'm so glad I did! The description says that the mask is more intended for younger, acne prone skin since it helps to absorb excess oil, but I have skin that tends to get dehydrated and it still works like a dream on my skin. When you open the tub you immediately notice the gorgeous scent of mint chocolate, created by the different mint ingredients that help to balance and tone the skin. Since this is a clay mask, the consistency is lovely and thick and it gives a really deep cleanse, getting rid of any impurities but it also feels gentle and soothing. Using this mask is such a pleasant sensation; you'll look and almost smell like you've smothered your face with Nutella and it feels heavy on the skin but cooling at the same time, and after you've wiped it off with a damp cloth, almost giving it a mini exfoliation the skin feels very clean and soft, and I will definitely be getting this again.

Sticking with Lush products, for me one of the most genuine chocolate body care products is the Sonic Death Monkey Shower Gel.What I like in particular about this, is that the rich and sweet chocolate scent is broken up with a zesty, fresh and invigorating scent of lime making it a tad spicy, lovely and decadent, but not sickly sweet or heavy - which many chocolate scented products can be. Since I like to keep to one scent when it comes to my body care products, we of course also have a body butter to go with the shower gel - the Body Shop Body Butter in Chocomania. I have tried lots of Body Shop body butters so I was a bit surprised to find that the Chocomania is slightly different than the others. This might just be me, but I don't feel as if it's as thick as some of the other ones I've tried. It's still very creamy, pleasant to massage in and it melts in beautifully, but I don't get the same sense of deep long lasting hydration as with most of the others, even though it's supposed to be great for dry skin. Chocomania smells yummy, a bit like Maltesers and I do enjoy using it, but personally I wish it was even thicker in it's consistency.

Now we're getting to the really interesting stuff, starting with a candle. Yes I know it sounds crazy, a chocolate scented candle, can that really work? I had tried many candles scented with chocolate before and never thought that any of them were any good. I found them synthetic, waxy and sickly - that is until I tried a Lily Flame candle in Chocolate Truffles - oh my goodness. This fills the room with a gorgeous warm, rich, indulgent and luxurious scent that smells exactly the way that chocolate truffles taste! I don't know how they've done it, but Lily Flame have definitely captured this scent perfectly. I've talked about Lily Flame candles before and for me they are the best - the range of scents is amazing, and most importantly they burn really well for about 35 hrs, straight down in the tin, leaving no waste at all. Delectable chocolate in a candle - who would have thought?!
 

My last pick for this chocolate feast is a Cologne Spray in Chocolate Chip Cookie from the fantastic Demeter Fragrance Library. Demeter has over 250 different colognes and body care products inspired by everyday objects and experiences. It's a completely unique perspective on fragrance based on clear, straight forward and uncomplicated scents that are familiar to everyone and that tap into feelings of well being and simplicity. Some of the top selling colognes include the following: Apple Pie, Tomatoes, Vanilla Cookie Dough, Basil, Gin & Tonic, Rain, Wet Garden, Grass, Laundromat, Marshmallow, Orange Cream Pop, Pina Colada or Raspberry Jam - I dare you not to be tempted by at least one of them.

The scent of Chocolate Chip Cookie is like freshly baked cookies just out of the oven, made from a combination of light and dark chocolate, - sweet and light but slightly bitter as well, brown sugar and sprinkles of half melted chocolate chips. It's fascinating how incredibly genuine this smells! As it is a cologne it won't last very long, I'd say no more than perhaps 3 hrs, and there's definitely no risk of it being heavy or overpowering. But what a fun way to carry a favourite scent with you during the day and spray on when you need a pick me up or just to boost your mood.

After all this talk about chocolate I'm getting a bit peckish so perhaps some hot chocolate with a chocolate cookie - any takers...?

71 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I'm surprised my photo props survived long enough for me to get a photo LOL. Xx

      Delete
  2. I love chocolate, all of THEM!!! LOL... I have the Chocomania in the scrub and I like it. I only ordered the smallest size because I wasn't sure if it was going to be any good or not. It did not last long, but it did great job at exfoliating my legs and arms in the shower. My dog wanted to lick it, so I had to run and hide from her for she was using all she had to get to it!! LOL. I would love to try others with the chocolate scent, so what you listed will be added to my list of wants. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Joy - clearly the dog has good taste LOL. Thanks a million for your lovely comment! Xx

      Delete
  3. I used to love chocolate to the point I couldn't go a day without it. I have just gone off it though. This Cupcake Face Mask sounds good. Last Lush product I used I took a reaction to it so this might put me back on the Lush bandwagon.
    Great post Charlotte! As always :)

    Rachael x
    All The Little Things x | Rachael McClenaghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mask is so lovely and I definitely recommend it :o). Thanks a million - that's so sweet of you :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. I'm so hungry after reading this post and have a huge need to get some chocolate truffles now! :-P x

    mollysbeautyspot.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I might make a cheeky little chocolate stop as well on the way to work :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. Great post, all looks yummy! Love Bourjois Bronzing Powder!!!

    Stevie | Stevie Hearts Makeup
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stevie - thanks a million, that's really nice of you :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. Love this post idea!! Everything looks good enough to eat:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I hope I haven't tempted anyone from their good intentions :O). Xx

      Delete
  7. This post has made me so hungry! Hmmm I think I'll have some nutella on toast! Love the Body Shop Body butter and the bronzer! xx

    www.peonyandpeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - oooh that sounds amazing! Thanks a million! Xx

      Delete
  8. I LOVE this chocolate themed post, what a great idea! could just eat those lush products!

    www.champagnetote.blogspot.co.uk XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I know what you mean the cupcake mask is almost like mint chocolate cake :o). Xx

      http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It smells amazing and the Lily Flame candles are excellent quality! Xx

      Delete
  10. I know I'm in the minority here but chocolate bath and body products don't really do it for me...I prefer a more citrussy scent I think xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there's no denying that citrus scents are yummy too, and perhaps a compromise a bath with lovely lemon products eating chocolate :O). Xx

      Delete
  11. I have seen the body shop chocolate scrub and really want it, it smells just like a brownie!

    www.makingmeblushblog.wordpress.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work with the photo, it looks great! Wow, all of these products sound amazing! I'm definitely going to look into the Lily Flame candles! I love a good scented candle. I think the only chocolate products I have at the moment are a cocoa butter and The Body Shop's Chocomania Body Scrub which I really like, it smells lovely! I'm definitely going to be putting a lot of chocolately items on my Christmas list! Great post. :) If you like all sweet things, you should definitely enter my giveaway as there is a Candyfloss & Mallow shower gel up for grabs, amongst other things! x
    The Jolly Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Emma and thanks a million for visiting. Sounds amazing I'll definitely have a look! Hope you'll visit again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. love this post
    xx Vale
    http://simplywhatilike.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh no why'd you have to do this post.. now I'm gonna wana buy it all - I'm a chocoholic! ;) x
    I want that chocolate cookie spray thing! :) Xx

    laurathinksabout.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Demeter have some fantastic scents, but they can be tricky to get hold of so my my best bet is the So Lippy web site or ebay :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. All the stuff looks so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) - and it certainly took some will power not to eat everything before I'd even taken the photos :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. I absolutely love this post! I want to try all of these products now..which is bad since I live in the US and these are mainly UK exclusive...ooo the shipping for that lol!

    http://jamiesessions11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Jamie - thank you so much, that's really nice of you! That's a shame, but at least it's easier for you to get hold of Demeter - they have some amazing scents :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. I love this chocolaty post! This post has made me so hungry! Love the Body Shop Body butter and the bronzer! Great post <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmm everything looks so tempting! The candle looks delish! :) x

    overdosedemaquillage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it smells delicious and so incredibly genuine and authentic - it's a mystery how they've managed that! Xx

      Delete
  19. Such a lovely post, if only real chocolate was guilt free :(

    itcantbeanotherbeautyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - just as well, we'd never get anything done, only sit around eating chocolate :o). Xx

      Delete
  20. OMG I love chocolate and this case... I love chocolaty products <3 <3 <3
    Kisses My sweet fashion and beauty blogger ;)
    The diary of a fashion apprentice

    ReplyDelete
  21. delicious post dear!
    love the cupcake face mask by lush...
    ..am yet to try the Demeter fragrances.. :) now you made me even curious about them
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million! They're absolutely amazing and definitely have something to suit everyone :o). Xx

      Delete
  22. Amazing post! I really want the Bourjois bronzer :)

    xo Mel
    Anxiety | Depression | Panic Attacks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Melane and thank you so much for visiting and for your lovely comment :o). It's a really great and affordable bronzer and I don't think you'd be disappointed with it :o). Xx

      Delete
  23. great post, chocolate products new for us!!
    take a look at our post, shall we follow?
    greetings from Holland
    http://www.we-heart-fashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kelly - thank you so much, I'm glad you like it! That would be great - I follow you on Bloglovin' and Twitter. Hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  24. Oh my that candle!!! What that looks like a dream
    Erin x
    Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, so indulgent and chocolatey :O). Xx

      Delete
  25. oh i love everything chocolately x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirsty - I hope I have tempted you with some of these yummy products :O). Xx

      Delete
  26. What a fun post! I love the Cupcake face mask - I've been using it for awhile xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's great and makes your skin so incredibly smooth - even Him Indoors like it :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. whoaaaaa chocolate over load!! love it!!

    http://malousssa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa - thanks a million and thanks for visiting :o)! Hope you'll be back again soon! Xx

      Delete
  28. Replies
    1. That's so tryue, it reminds me of Mississippi Mud Pie :o). Xx

      Delete
  29. Hi Charlotte, just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award! Check out my blog!

    allthingsglitterandbeauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, that's really nice of you, I'll get back to you in a week or so with the answers :o). Xx

      Delete
  30. I'm quite good when it comes to chocolate, I can resist it but that Lush cupcake mask looks so delicious I fear I would eat it! but I think I'll get it and take the risk.

    I love Lily Flame candles although I usually go for their spring/summer ones like grass/fresh linen. The chocolate truffles one sounds likely though, I think I may have to get it in as a present for a friend!


    Sharon xx

    Beauty, Miscellany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll be very happy with it - it's lovely to use :O). Xx

      Delete
  31. Er yum!
    Tania x
    Make-up-maggie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - I wonder if the avg chocolate consumption increased that day :o). Xx

      Delete
  32. Haha, loved this post! Great way to indulge in some amazing chocolate scents!
    I recently purchased the Bourjois Bronzing Powder, and I'm so ready to sniff it forever when it arrives in the mail!

    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry ʘ‿ʘ | Makeup & Silly things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy that product and I hope you'll be happy with it too - would be fun to see your review of it :o). Xx

      Delete
  33. This has made me crave chocolate lol. The candle sounds gorgeous!
    Kirsty x

    Prettybugblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really amazing, just like burning a chocolate truffle :o). Xx

      Delete
  34. I shouldn't have read this post: chocolate+beauty=love!
    I seriously love beauty products and candles that smells like food, cake, biscuits, and in particular chocolate, of course. I'm curious to try the Lush Cupcake fresh mask! Looks so yummy ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful mask - it cleanses the skin beautifully! :o) Xx

      Delete
  35. I got so hungry reading this post haha! Love the bourjois bronzer, it's one of my must have products.
    http://kahneee.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you can blame any accidental chocolate intake the next week on me :o). Xx

      Delete
  36. Awesome post! I love the Chocomania line and that Demeter fragrance too :)

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible how authentic it smells, a definite treat :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!