Wednesday 16 October 2013

The blue edition


If I was to ask Him Indoors what his favourite color is - he would without a nanosecond of a doubt say blue, just like most men and even women. Blue is a color often associated with harmony confidence, trust and loyalty. It's also very often linked with natural elements like the sky, sea, and coldness - all of them with a slightly melancholy note, but to me that doesn't give blue as a color full justice since it can range from the light, soft and cuddly baby blue to dark, vampy golden, glorious blue. I know that for many, even the idea of using blue as part of your makeup screams 80's garishness, but the updated and modern version of blue is cool, sleek and unexpected and today I'll show you some of my favourite blue products.

The first product in this line up of blue items is the The Body Shop Shower Gel in Blueberry. For me most shower gels are pretty much the same. If it offers a gentle cleanse without stripping my skin and leaves a lovely scent that lingers for a long time afterwards, I'm happy - and that's exactly what this one does. This shower gel is soap free but still manages to work up a good lather for that ultimate shower experience and the delicious sweet and sour scent of blueberry, very slightly reminiscent of the old classic Dewberry but with less musk, is uplifting and it lingers on your skin for a decent amount of time.
As usual I have to have a matching set of scents - shower gel and body lotion/butter so of course I've also got the Body Butter in Blueberry. As with all the Body Shop Body butters, the texture is wonderfully thick, rich and luscious to use. I love to scoop out a dollop, heat it up between my hands and then to massage it in. I find that doing this will release the oils, enhance the scent and help to effortlessly blend the butter into the skin for hydration that lasts a good few hrs after you've massaged it in. The blueberry scent is fruity and piquant, but without any sweetness to it at all. Instead it's slightly sour, crisp and very refreshing.

Let's move on to makeup and one of my favourite high street brands this year - Bourjois. This is an example of a palette that does the whole "painting by numbers", i.e. giving you instructions on when and how to use which shade - it's the Smokey Eyes Trio Eyeshadow in Bleu Rock. I love a smokey eye, and I don't know about you but I sometimes think that to always use dark natural shades gets a bit predictable, and to instead go for blue shades adds an extra little something. This trio contains shades of blue that includes pale alice blue with a subtle warm grey undertone, warm bondi blue with a golden undertone and matte UCLA blue with a slight teal-green shade. The eyeshadows are lovely and light, smooth, buildable and easy to work with. For me this is one of the best Bourjois trios and the combination of matte and slightly shimmery shades works really well for a twist on the classic smokey eye look.

My next item is another budget buy, it's an Avon Glimmerstick Diamonds Eyeliner in Twilight Sparkle. The glimmersticks are very popular products from the Avon range, and no wonder - it's a lovely creamy formula that is so smooth to apply, it's longlasting and waterproof. This particular shade is a dark steel blue with a metallic and sparkly element to it. This looks wonderful as an alternative to black eyeliner for a feline flick or even to fill in the lower waterline. Even though this is currently listed in the most recent Avon book, unfortunately I couldn't find a link to it for Avon online, so my recommendation is to either check with an Avon representative or go to eBay, where I know for sure that you can get it at a very low cost - so go on, treat yourself to an amazing sparkly eyeliner that will look stunning for the festive season!
From left to right:
Bourjois Smokey Eyes Trio Eyeshadow 07 Bleu Rock - Illuminating shade
Bourjois Smokey Eyes Trio Eyeshadow 07 Bleu Rock - Blend & Stretch shade
Bourjois Smokey Eyes Trio Eyeshadow 07 Bleu Rock - Sculpting shade
Avon Glimmerstick Diamonds Eyeliner - Twilight Sparkle

For me to pick just one single nail polish in blue is simply impossible. Partly because I am always on the hunt for that PERFECT blue shade which is why I have loads of them, and also because there are so many different shades of blue, all beautiful in their own right. As a compromise I have therefore chosen two different shades of blue from our old friend Barry M, which is probably one of the most budget friendly brands on the market that offers not only a polish range in all the colors of the rainbow, but also a great formula. The Barry M Nail paints as they are called, are easy to work with to get a streak free finish, they're fast drying and long lasting. Seriously, there are not many brands,  about which you can say all those things regardless of price point. Not only that, but Barry M really keeps up with the trends and you can find any type of effect you want - plain, shimmer, sugar-coated, crackling top coats, metallic, magnetic, foil, matte or concrete - you are spoilt for choice.

The first shade I have chosen is Navy which is an amazing, vibrant, true blue shade with a slight golden undertone to it. It's a stunning, timeless shade of blue with a lovely satin sheen that would work with any outfit or occasion and for me, this is a must have in a nail polish collection. So if we started at the classic end of the spectrum, now we'll move to the other end with more playful effects. The second shade I have chosen is Atlantic Road which is a light, soft and warm powder blue with a textured effect. With this type of polish you really need to apply at least two coats to create that interesting, raspy, grainy and raw concrete effect. I also find that even though it sets very quickly on your nail, it takes a few hrs for the effect to really come into its own. It's a fun way to add a lighthearted and spirited edge to a look or an outfit. 

I've mentioned some wonderful products already, but for me the real gem (if you'll excuse the pun) amongst these blue pickings is the fragrance from La Prairie - Life Threads Sapphire EdP. La Prairie is probably best known for their highly scientific and luxurious top of the range skincare, but they also do some amazing fragrances. First of all, let's take a few seconds and talk about the bottle. It's a gorgeous, strict geometrical shape with whimsical web like threads throughout it, and scattered gems in brilliant white and sapphire blue trapped in the web - it's like a tiny sculpture that deserves to be displayed on a dressing table.

The scent itself is a lovely warm, sensual and elegant floral with a very slight oriental twist to it. It's a rich mix of faint orange flowers, balmy rose, sweet and fresh lilac, seductive jasmine, soft animalistic, golden amber and dry, spicy wood. You might think that these are all too over powering, but the combination is so well balanced and subtle that none of the notes dominate or over power the others. For me this is a one of a kind scent that really stands out, and it's the height of sophistication. Since this is a high quality EdP, you only need very little to make it last all day and this captivating scent is perfect for this time of year, warming you up from the inside out.

This was a small selection of my most loved blue products, but of course there are so many shades that probably deserve an article of their own, e.g. teal, baby blue etc. Although plum and berry shades are all of the high street at the moment, I hope this has inspired you to perhaps introduce a few elements of blue into your A/W beauty and makeup routine, and that you're not left feeling blue.

Also, just a reminder of the international giveaway that is going on at the moment, which is open until Oct 25. 

29 comments:

  1. OMG I'm on the hunt for THE blue polish too! :D I need something more neon then Essie's Bikini so Teeny but still a pastel shade. I don't think something like that even exists :D

    Blu Button Box

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Zuzana, I think I know what you mean, is it something similar to perhaps the Bourjois Blue no blues, or OPI Can't find my Czechbook? Xx

      Delete
  2. I find most shower gels to be the same also, I still try out so many of them though haha, this one I definitely need to keep an eye out for. :) The navy nail polish is so pretty... need something like that!

    http://beautyblog.skylish.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Catherine, thank you so much for the comment! Yes for me the most important thing is without a doubt the scent and if it's lovely - then SOLD :o)! It's a gorgeous classic shade that is so practical :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. Love the swatches!! And the light blue is really cuteeeeeee :)

    Sofia X

    sofiaadot.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million - it's just a bit different and fun! :o)

      Delete
  4. ahh..the blueberry shower gel smells divine!!
    <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I specially like that it isn't too sickly sweet in any way :O). Xx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's lovely of you! Xx

      Delete
  6. love the textured Barry M nail varnish, never tried any of their nail effect nail polishes. L xxx

    maquillagemagic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are excellent and have so many lovely shades to choose from :O). Xx

      Delete
  7. I love your themed post, so much fun! I may have to try my hand at something like this, blue is such a lovely colour! That navy polish is to die for, I can't wait to pick up some Barry M when I'm in London this Christmas :D

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Zoe - leave plenty of space in the suitcase for nail polishes :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. beautiful collection

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cue themed post. I love the colour blue and some lovely products on there :) xxx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amy and thank you so much for visiting. I'm glad you like it and hope you'll be back to visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  10. Oh my, I didn't know The Body Shop sold a blueberry shower gel, I knew they had the body butter mind! I don't work well with the body butter from The Body Shop, but their shower gels I love so much!

    Think I know what I'll be buying for myself soon... :P

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great - it's nice to know I have inspired some items to go on the shopping list :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. Great themed post, like that you've included shower gels too! I have an Avon glimmerstick in and an seriously impressed with it, the colour is stunning, so might try that blue, its a gorgeous colour! Xx

    www.peachymakeup.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Emma, thank you that's really nice of you! The glimmersticks are great little products aren't they :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. Hey! I really love this themed post! It's so orignial! Plus blue is a fab colour :)
    That Navy nail polish is beautiful! Great for the colder months! :)
    Kammi
    xx

    http://beautybookblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kammi, that's so nice of you, thank you very much! I have done other color editions earlier looking at green, coral and pink if you want to check them out. It's a timeless gorgeous shade, that I think would look great on everyone :o) Xx

      Delete
  13. Great blues. Let us follow each other on GFC, FB and Twitter? Love
    New Post Fashion Talks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandy, thank you very much! That would be awesome, I'm following you and hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  14. Awesome post! That Blueberry shower gel sounds amazing :) I have The Body Shop's strawberry shower gel and I love it :)

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so lovely and fresh and definitely worth trying :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!