Sunday 20 October 2013

Tame your mane with hair oils

One of the most frequently sold hair care products in the world is hair oils and you can't open a magazine without there being some promotion about the latest miracle in oils. The reason oils are so great for your hair is that they contain essential fatty acids, vitamin e and anti-oxidants from various types of oil. Essential fatty acids help to control your hairs hydration and elasticity, vitamin e helps to heal damaged hair and anti-oxidants helps to reduce discoloration. Most hair oils are multi-tasking and can be used on both wet and dry hair; as a pre-cleanse, intensive conditioning, heat styling product or for finishing touches but regardless of how you prefer to use a hair oil it will sink into your hair, treating it and conditioning it at the same time.

There are so many types of oil available so I wanted to do a comparison to see if there was much difference between them, and how they worked on my hair. Most oils target different types of hair so it's definitely worth while doing some research beforehand to make sure that you get a product that is right just for you, and the products I've tested are all aimed at dry and/or damaged hair. As usual when I do a product comparison, I have a selection of products from different price ranges so let's get started - bring on the oils.

First out of these oils is Kérastase Elixir Ultime which contains ingredients that actively repair and nourish damaged hair. It comes in a large plastic bottle with a pump, and for me it's always a bonus when a product has a pump, so it's easy to get exactly the right amount of product - particularly important when it comes to oils since we don't want greasy hair! I use about two small pumps of oil - no more, heat it up between the palm of my hands so it absorbs better into the hair and comb it through my hair with a detangler, but never anywhere near the scalp. Elixir Ultime is a very light oil and it has the most amazing, sophisticated scent of exotic moringa which luckily stays on your hair for a while. Since the consistency of it is so light, it works great both as conditioner, treatment, detangler or as a styling product without leaving any greasiness or dullness at all. When I've used a tiny drop of Elixir Ultime, my hair feels silky and smooth and more well behaved, and it stays that way for several days afterwards. 
 
The second oil in this line up is a product you'll find on the high street, and I had some high hopes for it - it's the L'Oréal Elvive Extraordinary Oil, which is suitable for all hair types. Reading about it before I tested it, it sounded like a more affordable alternative to the Kérastase Elixir Ultime. It's marketed as a 5-in-1 "miracle hair perfector" which is supposed to give hair a glowing shine, nourish, make your hair silky and soft, smooth and perfect your hair. It comes in a stylish and heavy glass bottle which looks very nice, but may not be very practical and I'm worried it'll break on the floor of my bathroom at some point... Anyway, it comes in a very generous size and with a pump that dispenses exactly the amount you want, which is great. Another bonus for me is the gorgeous warm and floral scent of white flowers. So far this oil is reminds me a lot of Kérastase, but this is where the similarities end. The texture of L'Oréal Elvive is quite strange - it's definitely an oil, but to me it's much more like a serum with its gooey, syrupy consistency. I've used this as a conditioner and a detangler and it feels lightweight on the hair, distributes easily and it does add shine. Unfortunately I don't find it non greasy at all - it makes my hair look matte and unwashed and I just can't get used to the texture. Out of the oils I've tried this was the one I least enjoyed using, and to be perfectly honest I doubt that I will use up the bottle.

Next up is a product from one of my favourite hair care ranges - Macadamia Natural, and it's the Healing Oil Treatment which I got in a Macadamia Get Hooked package. This is a wonderful rich oil with quite a strong, but lovely nutty and slightly masculine scent. Because it's so thick I really enjoy using this particularly as a nourishing treatment before shampooing or added to a masque for that extra boost of hydration. I absorbs beautifully into the hair without leaving a greasy feeling and it's also light enough to use it as a styling oil for some extra finishing shine. Using this makes your hair feel silky and light and I've even surprised myself with how much I enjoy using it. The travel size also makes it very practical to bring in a handbag for any touch ups when you're on the go.

The last oil I've tested is the Body Shop Coconut Beautifying Oil which is a multi purpose oil, so it can be used both for your hair, face and body. It's a fairly light dry oil, which means that it absorbs straight into the skin so you don't have to worry about staining your clothes if you use it as a moisturiser, and it has an amazing warm soft authentic scent of coconut - delicious. I must admit that I find it difficult to understand how one oil can be multi purpose since at least my hair, skin and body need different things, and this is why this product doesn't work for me. As a body care product this is a lovely hydrating oil that illuminates your skin and I will definitely continue to use it like that, however I really don't like to use it either on my face where it feels far too heavy and almost fatty or my hair. I tested it using a tiny drop of oil at the ends of my hair and also to smooth down fly aways and kinks, but I felt as if it made my hair greasy, matte and weighed down and unlike the other oils this doesn't work for me as a product to perfect your styling. I still think it's a gorgeous body care product that I would buy again, but I wouldn't use this for hair care when there are much better options available.

Out of the different oils I've tested there are two products that stand head and shoulder above the others; Kérastase Elixir Ultime and the Macadamia Healing Oil Treatment, and I would repurchase both of these products faster than you can say follicle, however if I had to pick just one favourite it would be Elixir Ultime. 
It's a gorgeous, light and beautifully scented hair oil with just the right consistency for you to use it both on wet and dry hair. I have used Elixir Ultime since Spring time, and even though I found it difficult to get my head around all the different ways I could and should use it, it is now an essential item in my hair care routine. I also feel as if it's made a real difference to the quality of my hair and it's more nourished and tamed. As you may know I have long hair that gets put through a fair bit of wear and tear, but I have fewer split ends than before and it looks less frazzled after heat styling. I thoroughly enjoy using this oil and for me it's definitely the Ultimate Elixir.

51 comments:

  1. I do like oil for my hair but I have to be very careful when putting it on because if I put the TINIEST bit too much on my fringe then it looks like I've been deep fried! I like the sound of the Macadamia one
    xx

    www.salted-roses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Amya, same here. It took me a while to get the amount just right :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. I love using hair oils. I usually soak my hair in them for 10 to 20 minutes before washing and it makes my hair less dry, brittle and super soft and shiny. I do not like using them after washing because it makes my mane look like an oil slick. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, and I keep forgetting to use it pre-wash! Xx

      Delete
  3. I'm currently using the Keratase Elixir Ultime in the gold packaging. I think hair oils are just brilliant and this one is no exception. However my absolutely favourite hair oil has to be the Amargan Hair Therapy Oil - that one definitely leaves my hair the softest :)

    Lucy x The New Northerner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy, I haven't tried that so thanks for the recommendation :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. I love using hair oils and without them my hair gets very dry. I'm currently using the Moroccanoil treatment and want to try the Macadamia Natural Oil next.

    allthingsglitterandbeauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the Macadamia oil, and you need so little of it that even a travel size bottle will last a good while :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. I've been looking for a new hair oil as my current one is about to run out, and the Kerastase one looks lovely I think I'm going to have to buy it! Thanks for the reccomendation! Xx

    yespleasebeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad, if you do get it let me know what you think about it :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. I've never tried hair oils but you make a good point about a multiuse product, I think that many body oils really would make your hair greasy!

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Zoe, yes they don't work for me at least, I think I'll stick to separate oils :O). Xx

      Delete
  7. I love hair oils, god knows what I did before them!

    www.notanotherbeautyblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love hair oils and will never be without them anymore. I have tried the macadamia healing oil and really liked it. Have you tried maroccan oil yet? Out of all of them I like it the most??

    http://welldressed25.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't actually, but I guess that's the one that started it all, so I do want to try it. Not sure whether to go for the normal or the light version though - any recommendations? Xx

      Delete
  9. I'm a big fan of oil too! I have super dry hair so they are a must! :) Gret post!

    AJ | TheAJMinute
    @TheAJMinute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AJ, thanks a million that's really nice of you :o). I hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  10. I agree with you on the body shop oil, i felt like it was a lot better being applied to legs etc to give them a nice natural shine but on the hair it felt like it was just too greasy and didn't sink in, it felt like it was just sitting on my hair.
    Really like the L'oreal though, nearly at the end of my bottle! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Saida - at least it's a wonderful body oil and so many gorgeous scents to choose from :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. Hi!
    Just wanted to let you know I've nominated you on my blog for the versatile blogger award!
    http://sophiejenner.blogspot.co.uk/
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie, thank you so much. It's really really nice of you to think of me, but since I actually did this last week I won't be doing it again at this point, I hope you understand. I'll be very happy to join another TAG later on. Have a great day! Xx

      Delete
  12. I love using the Josie Maran argan oil for my hair!

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, that's another one I haven't tried yet so thank you for the recommendation! Xx

      Delete
  13. I use the Loreal Elvive one and love it! dying to try the Kerastase one x

    http://britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cara and thanks for visiting! I hope you'll like it as much as I do :o). Hope to see you back here again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. Hair oils always scared me in the past because I feel like using them wrong can make a huge oily greasy looking mess of your hair! The keratase oil sounds like such a good choice though! I have long hair so my ends definitely need a bit of extra moisture! thanks for all the in-depth reviews!

    sundays grace blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carly, thank you very much, that's so sweet of you :O). Xx

      Delete
  15. Love using hair oils make hair super soft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they do - you just need to figure our exactly how much oil is needed to avoid greasiness :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. I love a good hair oil, they save my hair extensions too!

    Belle x
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Belle, oh I'm sure oils are great for that! Xx

      Delete
  17. Awesome post! I love hair oils, my favourites are from Agadir, Suave, and I love that Macadamia one too :)

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's really lovely of you :O). Xx

      Delete
  18. I have never tried Keratase oils, but I'd love to!)
    I am currently using Moroccanoil and Cristalli di Argan oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Irina - i think Moroccan oil will the next one for me, since I've heard such great things about it :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. always wanted to try that l`oreal oil, thanks for the post:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. i am going to try this :) following u here . hope you do the same
    http://www.ambifashion.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ambi, great I hope you like it! I am following you as well. Xx

      Delete
  21. Great post!! I was thinking of trying the extraordinary hair oil but am glad I held off as is does sound more like a serum than an oil and I don't want it to weigh my hair down. Thanks for sharing!xx
    http://stylewithgracehairdesign.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's so lovely of you! Xx

      Delete
  22. It's a shame the body shop one didnt work better! I love the thought of coconutyy hair mmm :)
    I have the macadamia one though & it's made such a differnece to my hair! Love it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was a bit disappointed, but I can still enjoy as body oil at least :o). Hope you'll come back and visit again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  23. I love the sound of the Macadamia package because I love thick hair products that are nourishing and that you can feel working. I've been a bit puzzled about what to buy hair-oil wise so the review has been really helpful
    Much Love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so great, thank you very much! Xx

      Delete
  24. I really want to try Kerastase products generally. So many products on my wish list.
    Karen x
    http://silvermachine78.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful oil and definitely worth getting! Xx

      Delete
  25. Great post as always Charlotte!

    I've actually being wanting to try a hair oil for ages but was so worried that it would just make my hair look ridiculously greasy. If it's not too cheeky to ask, how often do you use them? :)

    Louise x

    Confessions of a Secret Shopper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Louise, thank you so much! I use mine about 2-3 times a week, which works for me but my salon tells me I could wear the Kérastase every day if I wanted too, but to be careful with the amount. :o). Xx

      Delete
    2. Great post Charlotte. I just purchased the Body Shop oil in cocoa butter today, it smells absolutely divine!

      I find with hair oils u really need to be careful with the amount you use, like u say. The problem is, every hair oil is different in the amount you can use!

      Kinderhealthandbeauty.blogspot.co.uK

      Delete
    3. Great! I hope it will work well for your hair as well as smell gorgeous :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!