Saturday 26 October 2013

October favourites

It's almost the end of October and even though it's been a beautiful autumn so far and you still don't really need to wear warm jackets and coats, the colder times are definitely here. Just like most people my skin reacts in all sorts of ways to the changes in weather, but this year I'm taking a more pro-active approach. So instead of treating dryness and any sensitive areas when they occur come December time when it's really cold, I've started to plump my skin with as much moisture as possible to prepare, and this is also why all of my favourites this month are related to skin care in one form or another.

Moisture, moisture and moisture is the key to keeping your skin soft and supple. However it's not just a question of adding moisture - drinking water by the buckets, and moisturising your skin properly, your skin also needs to retain it. To help with that I use the Gatineau Aquamemory Moisture Replenish Eye Roll On. This eye cream uses seaweed extract which is well known for its water retaining qualities to not only drip feed the skin with moisture throughout the day, but also to lock it into the sensitive eye area. It's a very light cream which comes with a nifty little roller ball applicator to massage it into the eye area. It feels very soothing on the skin and also helps to get rid of puffiness or dark circles and I actually keep mine in the fridge for an extra cooling sensation in the morning. The packaging is very slim and lightweight so it's easy to take with you in your handbag and you can re-apply it during the day, even on top of your makeup to refresh your skin.

Another product which is perfect to carry with you for a boost to your skin and your mood during the day is the Caudalie Beauty Elixir - Limited Edition. It's exactly the same formula as before, but this one has a pretty design from L'Wren Scott on the bottle. This is an old time favourite of mine since with just  a couple of sprays, a wonderful fine mist adds moisture and radiance to your skin, as well as refreshes you with it's herbal aromatic scent of invigorating mint and warming rosemary. I always have one of these in my handbag, and when you're out and about it's a quick and easy way to maintain moisture levels, and your spirits too - accompanied with a skinny decaffeinated latte of course...

The next product that I have truly loved this month is the YSL Forever Youth Liberator Serum Foundation and it's also perfect for this time of year since not only does it give amazing coverage, it also cares for your skin at the same time, helping the skin cells to renew themselves. I'm not going to go into too much detail on this product since I've recently done a detailed review of it, but having used this product now for more than a month I am - if possible, even more happy with it than I was then. Despite being fairly full coverage it's so light to wear that it's not even noticeable, the longevity of it is great and I no longer worry about having to retouch my foundation throughout the day. I also think that its nourishing qualities are showing on my skin e.g. after removing my make up in the evening, my skin feels just as moisturised and smooth as it did after my morning routine. That is the sign of a quality product!

Since the YSL serum foundation is high coverage already I don't need much concealer, and my Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer is just perfect. I have used it previously to get good coverage on blemishes, but for me the best bit now is the illuminating effect it has. It's brilliant to use under the eyes to make you look wide awake and energised, and perhaps also around the nose to brighten that area a little. The concealer also has moisturising qualities and at least for now it's an excellent and a more budget friendly option to the YSL illuminating concealer which is on my list of things to try.

Since my beloved Rimmel Stay Matte Powder broke during my travels last month, I had a real reason (for once) to go and get a new powder and I already new what I was going to get. I'd read raving reviews of the Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot and am very happy to say that it fully met my expectations. It's an incredibly fine and light mattifying powder that absorbs oil and creates a perfect matte look. Just like my previous Rimmel powder it's transparent so it would work with any skin type or tone. What I particularly like about it is that unlike some powders it doesn't feel like a masque - not even after having re-applied it a few times throughout the day and evening, and it sits lightly and evenly on the skin. I was already a fan of the Soap & Glory body care range but this was the first make up product I'd tried, and now I will definitely try other things from their make up range and fingers crossed those products will be as great as this one.

Since I had to buy a new powder I thought I would also invest in a proper brush for it. I went straight to the isle where my new found love - the Real Techniques is, to find a new member for my brush family. I ended up getting the Powder Brush 1401 and I'm happy to say that the new family member fits right in and gets along really well with the others. The brush is so soft and supple and it's perfect to get a light and smooth coverage with just a simple sweep.

With all this focus on skin care products, I feel quite well prepared to combat the effects of any cold or snowy weather that might eventually hit us and actually I'm kind of looking forward to December - particularly since my Ciaté advent calendar arrived today!


64 comments:

  1. I have never tried any makeup products from Soap & Glory before but I'm also a fan of their body care range. This powder sounds amazing and I might have to check it out! I love real techniques brushes and I use the powder brush every day.

    Have a great weekend!
    allthingsglitterandbeauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice brush for a nice powder :o). I will definitely have a look at some of the S&G stuff too :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. Really want to try the Wake Me Up concealer. Sounds great. Great post.

    Rachael x
    All The Little Things x | Rachael McClenaghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, you're so sweet :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. I like the look of the soap and glory powder, I have seen other good reviews about it,will check it out next time I am in Boots.
    www.naomitalksbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naomi, it's definitely worth trying and I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do :O). xx

      Delete
  4. I like your favourits!! Last time I was in boots I had the soap and glory blotting powder in my hands but for some reason I didn't get it. I think I have to go back now.

    http://welldressed25.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's a great product and I don't think it'll disappoint you :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. I need the YSL foundation in my life!
    http://beautylovesbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very luxurious product, it'll make you feel very glamorous :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. The real techniques brushes are so worth the hype. They really are such good quality.
    Karen x
    http://silvermachine78.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you, I think I'll go for a blending brush next :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. rimmel wake me up concealer and the RT powder brush have also been some of my favourites this month! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeeay :O)! Well - they're such brilliant products and I'm glad others love them too :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. Nice products....I am lately hearing a lot of people praising Real Techniques brush! so tempted to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a great investment for getting that great finish to your makeup! Xx

      Delete
  9. I want to try that Soap and Glory powder now! I'm sort of falling out of love with my Rimmel one. I've been looking at the YSL foundation but unfortunately can't find a good match for my skin. I've been informed that more colours will be released soon so I will try again later in the year!
    Tania x
    Make-up-maggie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that the YSL shades are quite limited and they're too expensive to get two of them. I'm lucky that I got a small sample of another shade too so I can blend them, but when that's done, I may need to look around for another products to blend with. Xx

      Delete
  10. I neeed to get my mits on the YSL foundation!

    www.notanotherbeautyblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabelle, it's definitely a splurge item, but sooo worth it :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. Great post, I really want to try that foundation, it sounds so nourishing, exactly what my skin needs right now! As for the Caudalie Beauty Elixir, if I'm perfectly honest, I think I prefer the normal packaging! Obviously that wouldn't stop me buying it though, I absolutely love it! xx

    www.peonyandpeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - it's completely addictive :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. I can't believe it's Favourites time again, this month has gone soo quick! I'm loving that powder brush, it looks a beauty! I'll keep my eye out for that one. Great post as always Charlotte, I love your blog x

    Claire | AgentSmyth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and for being so encouraging, that's really nice of you :o)! Xx

      Delete
  13. Such great products! So many I would love to try... especially that foundation it sounds so nice!

    sundaysgrace.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it's the best foundation I've tried, and the fact that it's got built in skin care is a big bonus :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. wake me up concealer is in my October favourites too!! It is such a great illuminating concealer and perfect for under eyes, L xxx

    maquillagemagic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree at the same time as it's light and pleasant :o). xx

      Delete
  15. Awesome favourites! I've been really interested in that new YSL foundation, it sounds incredible! :)

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million :o)! I highly recommend it, the only thing they need to improve is the range of shades. Xx

      Delete
  16. I am obsessed with Real Techniques brushes! Really good quality. Great favorites!
    http://tigerlovebeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chelsea! Thanks so much for visiting! I'm getting completely obsessed with them :o). Hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  17. I have my eye on the YSL Youth Liberator foundation, it sounds amazing.. You've just given me an excuse to add another foundation to my massive collection! x

    Rachael | overdosedemaquillage.blogspot.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy to inspire you :) - and I hope you'll enjoy it! Xx

      Delete
  18. That Soap & Glory powder sounds ideal, any powder I've bought this year has gone missing or felt too caked on, I just need something to make me feel a little less greasy, I think I'll have to go for this!


    Sharon xx

    Beauty, Miscellany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really nice product, and if you do get it - let us know what you think of it :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. I been meaning to use that Soap & Glory products forever as i've read nothing but rave reviews.

    http://www.annanuttall.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Anna, Thanks a million for visiting and for leaving a comment :o)! It's a great range of products and so far I'm really impressed with their makeup too :o). Xx

      Delete
  20. Some great items! I can't wait to try the Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot, I've read some great reviews on it :)

    lovefrombethan.blogspot.co.uk

    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so lovely to wear and I definitely recommend it :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. Replies
    1. It's so nice and refreshing and perfect to carry with you in a handbag and even small enough for a clutch :o). Xx

      Delete
  22. I haven't tried anything Soap and Glory yet, and I need to!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really lovely range! A great body care product to get you hooked is the Breakfast scrub - it's amazing! Xx

      Delete
  23. Oooh, I love foundations that moisturize your skin!
    That limited edition bottle design for Caudalie is gorgeous!! I love limited edition bottles--they're so much nicer! c:

    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry ʘ‿ʘ | Makeup & Silly things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a nice little collector's item :o). Xx

      Delete
  24. Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer is the most amazing thing out there for under eyes!!!!!!!!!! Love it :D

    X Sofia

    sofiaadot.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - and the purse friendly price is an extra bonus :o). Xx

      Delete
  25. Ahhh I really want to try the new YSL foundation, but I've given myself a ban from buying anymore foundations haha xx
    great favourites :) x

    laurathinksabout.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, ah I know what you mean, but sometimes we need to make exceptions :o). Xx

      Delete
  26. Very nice post! Loved it.
    www.makeupandstilettos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I need to try Caudalie Beauty Elixir and the concealer by Rimmel ! Caudalie Beauty Elixir isn't as expensive as I thought it was x
    http://remainreverie.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great facial spray, but a word of warning - you might end up addicted to it just like me :O). Xx

      Delete
  28. I've heard such good things about the YSL foundation, will look forward to hearing your thoughts x

    http://alittlebitofjenn.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely an excellent product - an investment but worth every penny :o). Xx

      Delete
  29. Hey Charlotte, along with the powder I now need to get that Gatineau eye cream, its sounds amazing!! Making a list now haha Very happy that you visited my blog, thank you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) - it's so lovely to apply mid afternoon when your eyes are beginning to feel a bit tired - thanks to you for dropping by :o). Xx

      Delete
  30. Really want to try One Heck of a Blot now! :) x

    sleeplesswithsienna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great product - I don't think you'll be disappointed :o). Xx

      Delete
  31. Amazing post. I find your writing interesting and a good reflection of your personality. Nothing you write can be boring. :) In Paris, there is a 25% sale going on so I think it's a good time for me to get the YSL foundation. Thanks for being a consistent reading on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - that's so lovely and kind of you, it means a lot to get nice feedback on your work :O). Lucky you for heading to Paris, I hope you get yourself some real bargains :o). Have a super weekend! Xx

      Delete
  32. So many things in your favorites are on my wish list. Glad to hear they are soo good, now I know I need to get them!

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million - always happy to inspire some beauty shopping :o). Have a great weekend! Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!