Monday 7 October 2013

Manic.Monday - Models Own Green Fairy

Earlier this autumn Model's Own released their Velvet Goth Collection which has five dark and vampy jewel shades. As soon as I saw the previews of the shades, I knew I had to try them since I have a bit of a thing for textured nail polishes, and the shade that I most wanted to try was Absinthe. It's not just the color itself that appeals to me, it's also the connotations of images of Paris in the winter time in another era.

Absinthe is a ridiculously strong anise flavoured spirit, that should really be mixed with water before you drink it and it was very popular among artists and writers in 19th century Paris. If you're a literature buff like myself, you'll recognize that absinthe is mentioned in many classic novels where it's referred to as the Green Fairy. For me Absinthe conjures up images of bohemian Paris in the autumn time, eating roasted chestnuts in Montmartre - perhaps sitting on the steps of  Sacré Coeur... but before I lose myself completely thinking of Paris, let's move on to the nail polish!

The nail polishes in the Velvet Goth collection have a very unique finish which is slightly textured, matte but glimmering at the same time. When you apply the first coat of any of the shades, the polish goes on like any other product - glossy and easy to work with. After you've applied the second and maybe even a third coat, the polish creates an amazing and interesting multi dimensional effect created by different glitter shapes, sizes and slight differences in color.

The brush is a very standard size - not particularly wide, but since the formula is nice and easy to apply and the glitter is spread evenly in the polish you'll easily get a streak free and even finish. You'll definitely need to apply at least two coats to get that sumptuous effect, but even if you should decide to go for even more coats, you don't need to worry that it's going to long time creating the lovely finish, since the polish dries very quickly and evenly. Personally I like to apply three coats to get the really dense effect of heavy and shimmery velvet, and that's what you see in the pic below.
 

The shade Absinthe is a dark Persian green with a blue undertone which give it a shimmery slightly teal like hue, and it's broken up with different size glitter in various lighter shades of green like forest green and even lime green. Together it creates an amazing, rich, vampy and plush effect. I really like the final results and despite it being a very distinct look, it could definitely be worn as an every day polish, and I would probably pair this with an outfit in berry or plum colours or even the mono chrome trend. I like this so much that I'll get some of the other shades as well and have my eye on Sardonyx - a lovely rich burgundy red and Amethyst a glorious royal purple. Have you tried the Velvet Goth collection yet? Which is your favourite shade?

55 comments:

  1. Love the colour, I want to try the burgundy! Hopefully will get it soon and write about it!

    www.SunshineMalone.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please do, would love to hear what you think of it :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. Love this collection, my partner can't stand the texture of the bottles and won't hold them to do my toes though! I have this colour, I always go for green first along with the red (Sardonyx) and the blue (Valerian), I wish I would have picked up the Amethyst too though, actually I don't know why I didn't just buy them all! I was only slightly disappointed with the Valerian which I couldn't get to apply as evenly.


    Sharon xx

    Beauty, Miscellany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know, I'll stay well clear of that one then :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. OMG I LOVE THE COLOUR! I absolutely adore turquoisey colours :)
    Maddy xxx

    www.crystaltipsrandomblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Maddy and thanks for visiting :o). I think it's gorgeous too and I've already worn it so much! Following you and hope you'll visit again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. Wow what a gorgeous shade - perfect for Autumn and Winter :) love the lid too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gemma - I do love it and am very excited about trying the others now to see if they're equally fab :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. wow such beautiful shade! This would rock with the monochrome trend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I thought, will do a test later this week :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. I love it! So festive! makes me think of christmas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes you're right, well it's here before we know it :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. LOVE this colour, it looks so gorgeous on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful colour!!! I always find Nails Inc doesn't last more than a day on me without completely falling apart but the glitter ones tend to have more staying power so will give these a try! Great review :) x

    Claire | AgentSmyth

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful colour n u knw i have used this brand ...i love glitter nail poilishes a lot...
    will try this shade....looks lovely on ur nails too dear <3

    my recent one :http://www.vanitynoapologies.com/2013/10/mac-dervish-lip-pencil-swatches-review-fotd.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. This shade is so gorgeous! I'm not sure I could wear it on a day-to-day basis as it looks quite hard to wear! But I would definitely love having this in my collection, just because it's so pretty!

    Christina | Passion Obsession

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's certainly different for every day wear, but if you get it, let me know what you think of it :O). Xx

      Delete
  11. Not a massive fan of green nail polish in fact I hate it! but this is pretty and looks lovely on you, I like the diferent blue/green Tones.
    www.naomitalksbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the colour! Great post

    xxx
    http://myrunwayfashionworld.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much that's really nice of you :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. It's definitely a favourite this season :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. It looks nice and I think you may use it as top coat on another polish to add the glitter.
    x
    Stella from a A Shiny Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Stella, thanks a million for visiting and for leaving a comment! I do like teal nails and the multi dimensions make it that little extra interesting! Your blog is amazing with so many inspiring outfits! Hope you'll visit again soon :O). Xx

      Delete
  15. Very nice post! I liked the introduction about Paris:) Polish-wise I have an Essence polish called "Choose me!" That is very similar to this one in colour if not the same. Except it doesn't have bigger glitter particles.
    www.makeupandstilettos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's really lovely of you :o)! I've never tried anything from Essence, but will see what other shades they have :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. Hello Karima - thank you so much for visiting and for leaving such a lovely comment! Assolutely, I have joined you and hope you'll visit here again soon :o). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The colour looks even prettier on the nails than in the bottle. I would definitely choose the same colour or/and the purple one- Amethyst since I love purple :) Thanks for your visit. xx

    Maja
    http://modern-muffin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maja, thank you so much for visiting and for your lovely comment. Hope to see you here again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. That's a real stunner of a shade Charlotte - it's mesmerising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Emma - thanks a million, that's so sweet of you! Xx

      Delete
  19. That looks beautiful on you :)

    Karen
    http://silvermachine78.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and for your nice commen! Hope you'll be back here again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. I love Models Own, I ordered mine and should be getting them soon! Love this post!

    http://ronnielodge.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Which colors did you get? I hope you'll like them as much as I do :o). Xx

      Delete
  22. I love this colour! I got a really nice looking Models Own nail varnish once, but it's really bad as a nail polish, but I love all the glittery ones they do!:)xo

    libbyjade26.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a shame. I've been lucky with the ones I've got. The glittery ones are also nice but a pain in the neck to get off your nails LOL. Xx

      Delete
  23. Hey there, loved your blog, that shade is beautiful. just followed you on GFC (181) , would you mind to follow back?

    mandyshareslife.blogspot.com

    MandySharesLife FACEBOOK PAGE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mandy, thank you very much - that's really nice of you! Of course, follow you as well now. Hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  24. Ooooh, I love that green!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and it's not nearly as outlandish on an everyday basis as it might look :O). Xx

      Delete
  25. So pretty!

    itcantbeanotherbeautyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much I highly recommend the Velvet Goth collection :o). Xx

      Delete
  26. This is beautiful!!

    http://evithefashionista.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very mich for the nice comment :o)! Xx

      Delete
  27. Olá!!!, Deus seja contigo boa noite tenha uma ótima semana, amiga esmalte encantador amei, bela cor,SUCESSO AMIGA,
    já estou te seguindo aguardo retribuição
    Blog: http://arrasandonobatomvermelho.blogspot.com.br
    Canal de youtube: http://www.youtube.com/NekitaReis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting! I'm following you back, but if it's not too much trouble it would be wonderful it you could please leave a comment in English next time since I don't actually speak Portuguese... Sorry... Xx

      Delete
  28. Looks amazing!

    EverythingJoyce.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Joyce, thanks a million that's so nice of you! Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!