Friday 4 October 2013

What's in the box - Kitchen Nomad

I must admit that like a good monthly subscription box - I really do! There's nothing like these boxes of surprises, you're full of enthusiasm and excitement to see what has arrived and in a way it really is a little bit like Christmas every month, or as Him Indoors calls it - Big Box Day. I have tried a few different ones with varying success and joy, and we all know that there are lots of different monthly beauty goody boxes that you can get, but a few months ago I was inspired by the absolutely wonderful and lovely Amelia (xAmeliax.com) to subscribe to a slightly different kind of box - a food box! Before we talk more about the box I just have to mention that Amelia makes the most amazing videos on You Tube and if you don't already subscribe, go and sign up straight away for lots of fun and informative videos!

So back to the food - this particular box comes from a company called Kitchen Nomad and the whole concept behind it is that every month you'll receive interesting food products from a different country. Since I love to cook and I love to try different kinds of cuisine - this box is simply made for me. Together with the 7-10 ingredients every month, you'll also get a menu suggestion, i.e. recipes of what you can make with the products - and you also learn a little bit about the food and culture from that particular country.

The first box I received actually arrived while I was visiting my parents in Sweden, but as soon as I saw it I ripped it open and discovered that this month the food was from Pakistan - and here you can see all the ingredients that were included..... wow, not bad is it?


Here's a list of all the ingredients included in the box:
Red chili powder
Chaat masala
Coriander seed
Green cardamom
Basmati rice
Cloves
Chana daal
Gram chickpea flour
Cinnamon sticks
Cumin seeds
Pistachios
Desiccated coconut

All you need to do is to add the protein of your choice to make the following delicious menu of Pakistani food:
Starters:
Spiced aubergine and okra pakoras

Mains:
Channa dall with brown onions, red chili and cumin tempering
Chicken Yakhni Pullao rice (we'll probably make this veggie since I don't eat meat)
Crunchy tomato and cucumber raita

Desserts:
Carrot, coconut and pistachio halva (Ooh there's nothing like home made halva)

How brilliant is that?! So I'm definitely not stuck for ideas what to cook this weekend and I'll let you know how it turned out. This is such a great idea either for yourself or as a present for someone - remember Christmas is coming awfully fast... I've only had one box so far but I'm really impressed with the content, the quality of the recipes and the information included. I'm already excited to see what other exotic foods will land on my doorstep - we'll be eating our way around the world for the next 12 months!

31 comments:

  1. thank you for entering my giveaway doll! good luck!

    http://thisgirlloveschic.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have any desiccated coconut left over, use it to make some coconut cupcakes! They're absolutely delicious! xx

    www.peonyandpeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do love coconut, so what a great idea :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. That looks brilliant Charlotte, I wonder do they post to Ireland?! Off to check out the site...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they do, it's such a brilliant idea and I'm already looking forward to the next theme :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Charlotte, I didnt know about this box, is really brilliant and all the stuff inside looks good and healthy, it inspires me!:) Kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lilly and thank you so much for visiting. Absolutely, and it'll be so much fun having a Pakistani meal this weekend :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. Now this is different. I'm off to have a look.

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I thought it was time to mix it up a little with a food box instead of a beauty one :O). Xx

      Delete
  6. That is super awesome!

    You know what, you should check out vahchef on youtube for amazing recipes!

    He is too good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will - thanks for the tip :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. That's a really great box.

    Karen x
    http://silvermachine78.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something a little bit different and such a good idea :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. oh my gosh this is a brilliant idea. i love cooking too and generally stick to french.italian.chinese.korean. sometimes thai. sometimes indian so these sorts of boxes would be /awesome/ for getting those ethically unique ingredients for a good price. will look into this!
    jenn

    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow what an amazing idea - I'd love to subscribe to something like this :D xx

    Gemma | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great idea and it's something different from the other boxes around :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. Oh that box looks wonderful! Funny that your parents are in Sweden, that's where I was born.
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a super box and I'm so happy with it :o). That's interesting I'm from the South - where were you born? Xx

      Delete
  11. This sounds like a great idea! I'm such a lazy cook, but if I had something like this, I'd have to be more creative and cook something new. Actually, I'm very tempted to sign my boyfriend up for his Christmas present...it's just the sort of thing he'd love!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfect to me, there's nothing like being treated to a nice home made meal after work :O). Xx

      Delete
  12. That's so nice of you - thanks a million :o). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I've never heard of this box but it sounds amazing!

    Hannah x
    http://b-l-a-b.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't see it mentioned anywhere really which is why I wanted to give it a mention, I think it's a really good deal :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. I'm not too great with spicy food but I loooove daal and most things with lentils. Those aubergine and okra pakoras sound amazing, this is making me very hungry. That box is such a fab idea, will have to check them out!


    Sharon xx

    Beauty, Miscellany


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daal is my favourite Asian food as well, I could eat it all day long. If you get it, let me know what you think of it :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. Never knew they did food boxes, fab idea! I bet we don't get them here in Australia though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya and thank you so much for visiting! It's just such a nice change from all the beauty boxes out there :o). Hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  16. This is such a fantastic idea! I'd love to get a box like this, since I'm always stuck in a cooking rut with using the same spices. I love how they provide quite a variety of spices--I see several in this post that I don't own! Jealous!

    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry ʘ‿ʘ | Makeup & Silly things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're trying it out this weekend, and I'm so looking forward to it. The instructions are so good as well that I might even get Him Indoors to do some of it ;o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!