Monday 3 March 2014

Manic.Monday: NYC Raindrop - dupe for Dior Trianon Porcelaine

If you've read my blog the past month, you'll know that I have had a bit of a thing for Dior's fabulous Trianon spring collection 2014. The collection has such a beautiful, soft and feminine range of shades and the packaging is absolutely adorable with patterns of little bows. Despite all this finery the very first thing in the collection to catch my eye was a humble nail polish (surprise, surprise), Dior's Trianon Nail Polish (£18) in the gorgeous Porcelaine - a truly stunning cool, pale Alice blue. But there was something vaguely familiar about this shade, and for once I actually listened to the alarm bells going off at the back of my mind, before I happily threw it in my shopping basket. I decided to have a good look in my nail polish collection, and sure enough there it was; the perfect dupe in an unassuming little bottle - the NYC Minute Nail Polish (£1.49) in the shade Raindrop.  
NYC (New York Colour) is a budget brand which we in the UK can find in our local Superdrug, and they have a pretty good range of nail polishes in about 50 different colors and effects, priced between £1.49 and £2.99. The formula is surprisingly good with just the right consistency that makes it easy to pick up enough product on the brush for an effortless application. The brush is of average width and it would probably take three strokes to cover the whole nail side to side, but it is of good enough quality that the bristles are all even and well formed, not causing any streaking or pesky unevenness in the finish. The pigmentation is also good, although with a pastel shade like Raindrop you definitely need two coats for a nice opaque finish. This particular formula is marketed as a quick drying nail polish, and that is definitely the case - I would even say that it dries in about 45 secs, brilliant for busy girls on the go. Another thing that I'm very impressed by is the beautiful glossy high shine finish, and you really don't need a topcoat if you're in a rush, and the photo shows the nail polish without topcoat.
So far so good, but the one thing that isn't so great is the wear, and on me the polish starts to chip after about 1.5 - 2 days, and that's having applied two coats on a basecoat but no topcoat. It might be that the finish is longer lasting if you apply a good topcoat, but let's face it - it's a cheap and cheerful nail polish and for a fraction of the price of Dior's Porcelaine, it's a really REALLY good dupe. I absolutely love Raindrop with its graceful and gentle color, and since the color difference between it and Porcelaine is almost non existent, the choice for me is easy - I'm sticking with NYC. If you love blue and green colors, NYC has a very good selection in different shades and I've already picked up quite a few and I would recommend that you do the same! Which is your favorite high end dupe?

58 comments:

  1. Oh my... this is the most perfect blue shade ever! I need it, NOW!

    Blu Button Box

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i love blue shades

    http://prettypurple92.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, I have so many of them, and this is a lovely crisp shade :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. Hej Maria - thank you so much, that's so lovely of you. I'll head right over :o). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this nails color, i think it's so chic!
    Kisses

    NEW POST

    www.angelswearheels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - I agree, and it's a very clean and fresh look :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I do too it's soo lovely, and a fabulous dupe :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. I love this shade and wow it dries pretty fast!! Too bad it chips off so fast but considered the price it's still a good one!! My favorite high end dupe nail polish is from p2 (german drugstore brand) (looks like Dior's Destin)

    xx Mira

    www.glamdevils.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mira - completely agree with you. It's a cheap and cheerful range and the color is fab, so I'm not too hung up on the chipping. Aaaaah - thank you for that, will definitely have a look at it - Destin is such a sophisticated color :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. :o) - you're right in so many ways :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. love baby blue!!

    xx

    isa

    www.un-likely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great for spring and summer :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and it's a great price too :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. That's very lovely of you - thank you, I really appreciate that and follow you now :o). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a pretty shade of blue!
    xx Lexi, Glitter, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to know, thak you! I think Kiko has a dupe too but maybe it's a slighty more dark blue.

    Arianna, Nymphashion ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love dupes - it's great to be able to save money sometimes :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. Is it bad I want that Dior shade?? I just went and looked at swatches from the collection and they're so pretty! I'm really feeling blues this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it's gorgeous but if you want to free up some cash for something else you're lusting for, then get the dupe :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. Don't you love when you can substitute a cheap alternative like this?! Although, I hate doing my nails, so a longing wearing polish tends to be worth the extra cash!

    ~Alexis Grace of North On Harper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true - although I guess I can't complain too much since it's only £1.79 :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. I've heard nothing but lovely things about this polish and it looks gorgeous too. :D

    I can see me picking it up for my nail polish collection very soon. It'll look gorgeous for the summer, especially with some holographic or blue glitter on the top too. :)

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choice - and so affordable too :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. Lovely colour!
    Www.theforeignergirl.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shade of blue, so pretty!

    Keep in touch on BLOGLOVIN

    Love,
    FASHIONHYPNOTISED

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, perfect for the pastel trend :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. such a good dupe! i love the shade too, it's the perfect soft blue

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. you can win nearly £150 worth of high-end skincare on my blog right now :) click here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very generous - I'll definitely have a look at that :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. That baby blue is perfect for spring!!

    http://www.cindyslittleblackbook.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely shade, and I've really enjoyed wearing it with my Trianon makeup :o). Xx

      Delete
  20. This is a really cute blue lavender shade! I'll have to checkout the NYC nail polishes, never thought they were actually good enough quality!

    xo http://byourbself.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not very long lasting on me, but for that price overall they are surprisingly good :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. I love NYC, their products are often brilliant as so cheap too. Pastel polishes are my favourite :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried anything from NYC but the nail polishes, but they are definitely a nice surprise :o). Xx

      Delete
  22. Such a beautiful shade, I love pale blues <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too - I just can't stop buying them :o). Xx

      Delete
  23. What a gorgeous shade! I find it very unique too :)
    xx Anine
    redlipsandbeautybits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's a really good formula for that price :o). Xx

      Delete
  24. This is such a beautiful colour thanks so much for sharing! I love quick dry nail polishes and for the price I can definitely ignore a bit of chipping here and there :)
    emmasbeginning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the spirit, I'm completely with you :o). Xx

      Delete
  25. Such a stunning blue and very affordable x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely, they have some lovely greens too :o). Xx

      Delete
  26. Gorgeous colour nail polish!!! I need this nail polish haha! :) Lovely post as always Charlotte :D
    Ava xox
    http://xovintagewayoflifexo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Ava, thank you so much, that's really lovely of you :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. This is a very pretty colour. LOvely & fresh
    http://www.letstalkbeauty.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is a lovely colour- so fresh and surprisingly feminine for spring! X

    What Liv Loves | Beauty, Fashion, Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!