Friday 21 March 2014

MUA Prime & Conceal - dupe for Benefit's Lemon Aid

As a beauty junkie I have drawers filled to the brim of products just waiting to be used, but still somehow mysteriously it does happen once in a blue moon that I run out of something and when that happens it seems as if everything runs out at the same time.... makeup kharma or what? This is exactly what happened a while back when my trusted Urban Decay Makeup Setting Spray ran out. Its sister product, the Urban Decay Eye Primer Potion must have felt that since it decided to give up the ghost a day or so later. So when I had to get a new makeup fixing spray very impromptu and got the MUA Fixing Spray (reviewed here) I also decided to get and test its sibling, the MUA Pro-Base Prime & Conceal (£1.50). As with all MUA products the packaging is a unglamorous as you can imagine - it's a very basic, plastic pan but it does contain quite a generous amount of product. 
This is a 2-in-1 product which can be used both as a primer, to help set your eye makeup and hopefully make it last a little bit longer during the day, and you can also use it as a concealer to correct any uneven tone. The formula looks like a matte velvety eyeshadow in a golden buff color and the texture feels lovely, smooth and creamy to apply. You can probably use a brush to apply it to your eyelids, but personally I find it easier to just swirl a fingertip in it and lightly dab it onto the eyelid. When you apply it as a primer, the golden color sets very nicely on the lid and the color looks subtle, even and natural. I did notice that if you apply a bit too much it does tend to crease a little, which isn't a good sign for a primer, so you're better off keeping it to a light wash and if you do the tone is so lovely that you could even wear it just as it is without any eyeshadow on top, on a "no makeup" day for a very fresh look.

The golden tone is a great color corrector to get rid of any redness not just around the eyes, but also on any blemishes or angry patches. Since the consistency is quite creamy, you're better off using it before you apply foundation, so that you can blend it in seemlessly and add any additional concealer on top if need be. The texture is so light that it sits very comfortably on the skin without clogging the pores and I really like to wear it under the eyes ,to even out the skin tone and it makes the whole eye area look bright and rested.

This is not a pretty or glamorous product in any way, but you shouldn't judge a book by its cover and it is in fact a great primer and concealer. As a color corrector it does a wonderful job of reducing redness and foundation and concealers sit really well on top of it all day long. When I tested it as a primer I thought I would really put it through its paces so I wore it when I was traveling, and it really made the little eye makeup I was wearing stay put all day long, and it also looked as good in the evening, after a long day of airports and travel and shifting climate as it had in the morning. To me this in every way is an excellent dupe for the much loved Benefit's Lemon Aid (£16.50), but considering the massive difference in price, and the little difference quality wise my prime choice will be MUA. 

56 comments:

  1. i'd like to try it ! ;D

    saralookbook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great product and it looks really nice on its own too :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. For £1.50 you can't really go wrong :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. great post, lemon aid is so expensive I'm definitely going to try this X

    http://istylethereforeiiwear.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is... and this for me matches it in every way :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. How cool you found a dupe for benefit lemonade I do not think anyone has yet till now. Great review.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I would never have even dreamed of giving this a go until reading your review! I think I will definitely buy this next time I see it in Superdrug.

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely surprise product and I didn't have high expectations, but it proved me wrong :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. Great review! I also use UD setting spray and eyeshadow primer but I use "Eden" which is slightly coloured so it covers my dark eyelids really well, which was what I used to use Lemon Aid for! I think a lot of people plump for the more expensive and are put off by the MUA packaging. I've found their products hit and miss, personally. I can't use their eyeshadow palettes as the colours just won't blend on my eyelids, but I love their nail polish although it needs about three coats, the range of colours is amazing and it lasts really well!
    http://thirtysomethingoap.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Simone - Eden is a lovely shade, it's my favorite :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. MUA seems to be a good drugstore band! it's shame that there isn't a brand like this in australia
    http://fullycurious.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that is a shame... although MUA does deliver worldwide so it might be worth checking out :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. Oh its really works when we add concealer in our Makeup it play a very important role to hide our dark spots after it we are confident with a charming and beautiful face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's a great budget bargain :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. I always want to buy EVERYTHING that you feature on your blog!!!


    Relationships.College.Love

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Absolutely - every penny counts :o), so we can spend that on something else. Xx

      Delete
  11. Sometimes products that aren't pretty or glam are necessary! Thanks for sharing!

    xo
    https://www.facebook.com/StyleWireBos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true Elissa, thanks a million :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. Great review, sounds interesting. Primer and concealer in one is practical
    http://glamupyourlifestyle.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it saves some space in the makeupbag :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. This sounds great for just £1.50! xxx
    The Jolly Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could really do with this it'd solve all my problems haha!! Another fab review & product I need to go buy :-) xxx

    www.stylapetite.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - thank you so much, it's well worth getting :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. I love MUA eyeshadows but from their face-base products only tried BB cream and I hated it - maybe I shall give this a go? X

    Mademoiselle-Lala.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I haven't tried any of the foundations either, but this is a nice little product :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. I was so close to purchasing the Benefit one but the price!!! Might have to give this a whirl, too freaking cheap not to!

    Halima
    Fashionicide

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooh wow this is exciting! Never new MUA had brought this out but I'm so excited as MUA are one of my favourite brands! xxx

    fernlaura.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. MUA is an amazing brand!!
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have so many great products, I especially like the eye shadow palettes :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. Perhaps something for the next shopping trip :o). Xx

      Delete
  20. I love to find great cheap products. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, since some of the raved about products are just a bit too expensive for what they are :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. Great review, I definitely need to try this! It's so cheap too! :) xx

    www.natalie-knows.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well worth a try and it gives a lovely natural color when you wear a little of it on its own :o). Xx

      Delete
  22. Sounds awesome dear ! xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much - have a great weekend :o). Xx

      Delete
  23. What a great dupe :) Thanks so much for sharing it hun. I haven't even seen this in my MUA superdrug!

    Lucie xx

    Fatbeautyx // Youtube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check it out online, sometimes Superdrug doesnt have the full range either... :o). Xx

      Delete
  24. I'm pleased you got on so well with this, I really hated it sadly :( it just wouldn't work for me! But £1.50 isn't a major loss! xx

    Gemma // Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, hope you find a primer that works better for you :o). Xx

      Delete
  25. You did a great review of this product! I haven't ever heard of this brand before! I will have to look for it, now!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Darcy, I know MUA delivers WW, so it might be worth checking out their website too :o). Xx

      Delete
  26. Hiya Charlotte!

    I've just discovered your blog and am looking forward to reading some of your old posts :) I saw that you're from Hampshire - me too! Good to find a local blogger!

    Jenny xx

    ramblingsofajaffacat.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Jenny, thank you so much for visiting! So lovely to meet another blogger based in Hampshire - for some reason there doesn't seem to be that many of us :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. Good to know!!!

    http://www.cindyslittleblackbook.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always useful with a multi purpose product :o). Xx

      Delete
  28. I love lemon aid! I had no idea MUA had a dupe, definitely going to have to check this one out! Thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow you can't go wrong with £1.50 x

    Http://mehshake.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  30. Im really beginning to find some hidden gems in the MUA range and this is one that I must have an invest in and since my eyelid primer has almost disappeared maybe it is time! :)
    Love this post - Thanks!
    Would be great if you could take a look at my blog and even follow!
    http://candidlychloe0912.blogspot.co.uk/

    Chloe xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!