Wednesday 8 January 2014

Winter skincare

As much as I like to experiment and try new products, by now I think I have figured out what my skin needs and when it needs it, so I have a fairly clear view of what types of products I need to have in my skin care kit even though I might change brands. Except for the occasional hormonal break out, I have normal to combination skin and my biggest challenge all year around is battling dehydration. As if it's not enough with the horrible weather we've had lately; storms, rain and the cold, I sit in front of a computer all day long, enjoying the benefits of central heating which sounds cushy and cosy, but it all takes a toll on the skin. So in the winter time this means I have to bring out the big skin care guns and use products that are gentle on the skin and that cleanse and exfoliate without stripping it back, but that also give deep hydration and nourishment to keep my skin supple and smooth. This winter these are the hero products that have helped to maintain my skin.
Like most of us I don't have much time to get ready in the morning, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I prioritise a couple of minutes of more sleep over a time consuming morning routine, so using a micellar water works perfectly for me. The Gatineau Gentle Cleansing Micellar Water (£19) is a very gentle solution that cleanses, moisturises and soothes at the same time. It's suitable even for very sensitive skin, so I know that it won't cause any irritation or make my skin feel tight. Just like Bioderma this product makes your skin feel as clean as if you had done a proper deep cleanse, and all that after a quick sweep with a cotton pad - perfect!

This micellar water also works to remove eye- and face makeup (including waterproof) so I've been using it in the evenings as to take off my eye makeup before using my Caudalie Instant Foaming Cleanser (£15). Micellar waters are great when you need a quick fix but for me there's no replacing a great cleansing product in the evenings to make sure the skin is nice and clean before applying all the night products. You may remember that I've mentioned this cleanser before - it has the most wonderful light and fluffy, cloud like consistency and it kind of "pops" on your skin. It contains grape extracts, sage and camomile that soothes and purifies the skin, and it's so gentle that you can definitely use it twice a day if you so choose, and the refreshing cucumber scent is a lovely pick me up after a long day.

Call me old school, but I like to use a toner after I've used a cleanser to make sure that there's no product at all left on my skin and Clarins Toning Lotion with Camomile (£18) works beautifully together with the Caudalie cleanser, and it helps to rebalance and stimulate the skin's moisture level. It's has a zesty sligthly peppery invigorating scent and a little tip if you don't want to buy an expensive facial spray is to pour some of this in a spray bottle and you can use this throughout the day instead and you'll get almost the same effect.
As you can tell, all these products are about gentle every day cleansing, but at the same time it's essential to get rid of dead skin cells to make room for new ones to push up from underneath, so a few times a week I exfoliate using Origins Modern Friction (£33) - "Natures Gentle Dermabrasion" (in the photo I show a limited edition packaging but it's the same formula as the original). What I like the most about this is the consistency, which is very fine and granular since it uses rice starch as the exfoliating ingredient and although it's gentle, you can feel that it definitely gets the job done. I prefer to use this on damp skin to get a lovely creamy foaming consistency but you can use it on dry skin as well. I find that it gives amazing radiance without any redness or irritation, and since it also has a great aromatic spa scent, this ticks all the boxes for me.

The perfect partner to Modern Friction is the well known, super hyped Origins Drink Up Intensive (£22) Overnight Mask. It contains seaweed that helps not only to repair the skin but also to retain moisture. Is it worth the hype? Absolutely 100% yes. For me this is THE Holy Grail product, that makes your skin look plump, supple, nourished and hydrated. I'll use this at least 3-4 times a week either after my exfoliator, or as a double intense night cream - applying one coat immediately after I've removed my makeup for the evening, and then another coat a few hrs later just before I go to bed, and I have even used this as a pre-moisturising treatment. It is FANTASTIC and the beautiful creamy orange peel candy scent just makes it even more lovely to use and the price for 100ml is more than reasonable. If you haven't tried Drink Up Intensive yet, it should definitely go on your list of products to try this year - you won't regret it!
 
I like to use serums and oils as part of my skin routine and during the winter there's nothing like Clarins Santal Face Treatment Oil (£30) for a mega boost of moisture. It's a fairly heavy oil, intended for dry or extra dry skin based on 100% pure plant extracts that soothe, tone, hydrate and decongest the skin. You only need a tiny drop to massage all over your skin or just a specific area that needs some TLC before applying moisturiser, and fortunately it comes with a pipette so it's easy to get exactly the right amount. It is a rich oil, but as long as you only use a tiny amount there's no need to worry about shininess during the day, and it immediately makes the skin look smooth, plump and it feels soft as velvet. Last but not least I have to mention the scent because I absolutely adore it. It's a warm, aromatic and slightly sweet cardamom scent, almost like something from a bakery it's so comforting and relaxing - and if this was a perfume I'd wear it every single day.

For the delicate eye area I've used Kiehl's Avocado Eye Treatment (£33) which is rich in ingredients to protect and nourish the skin and that builds up moisture. If feels heavy on the skin when you first apply it but it absorbs very quickly, almost turning liquidy and it doesn't leave any shininess at all. The eye area feels protected, bright and soft and you can also use this as a masque both around the eye area and the lip contour,applying a thicker layer and then just letting it absorb naturally for 15-20 mins.

After the eye cream I apply the Gatineau Melatogenine Aox Probiotic Advanced Rejuvenating Cream (£76.25) - now that's a mouthful... It's a very luxurious, rich anti-ageing cream which is more for mature skin, and although I fortunately don't have any real issues with that yet, there's nothing wrong with starting well in advance to try and prevent wrinkles and sagging, or at least delay the inevitable as long as possible. It adds an intense boost of moisture and in the evening when I remove the day's makeup my skin still feels hydrated and nourished which is exactly what I want from a moisturiser. Another reason why I love this cream so much is because of the instant radiance that it gives, and my slightly blue tinted skin tone in winter all of a sudden looks glowy, rested and fresh without having to use any fake tan.

For night time I've turned to an old friend, the Decléor Aromessence Iris Night Balm (£34.50) which I've used during the last few winters and it's amazing for restoring skin that has been battered by the cold and wind. In the jar the balm has a very firm texture but as soon as you rub it between your fingertips, the essential oils heat up and as soon you apply, it just melts into the skin, making it feel very nourished and protected. The skins does feel a little bit sticky from the oils, although that is gradually absorbed into the skin and when you wake up in the morning the skin looks stimulated, rested and refreshed - a great intensive treatment.
The last two products I've used regularly, at least a few times a day starting with the wonderful Clarins Hand and Nail Treatment (£20) which a great moisturiser and softener for both hands and nails and it's almost like it forms a protective soft glove over your hands and it definitely helps to nourish and maintain the cuticles too. The finishing touch of my skin routine, morning and evening as always has been the Caudalie Beauty Elixir (£9.20 - currently on amazing sale from Escentual). This is the limited edition design by L'Wren Scott, but it's exactly the same formula and scent as the original Caudalie. I love this facial mist and find that not only does it help to boost moisture levels and add radiance but the lovely aromatic scent is so energising and perfect to carry with you in your hand bag for a little spritz every now and then to freshen up your skin and makeup.

My skin has actually been behaving quite well this winter (touch wood) and I'm convinced it's not just because the products are suitable for my skin type, but I think it's also down to finding a regular routine and then sticking with for a reasonable amount of time to give the products an actual chance to do their magic. What products have you used this winter and is there something you recommend that I try?

69 comments:

  1. Lovely post and such great products! The Origins Drink Up mask is something I've been eyeing for a while because my skin is SO DRY right now.

    http://thecosmeticeffect.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm sure it'll completely transform your skin after just a few uses, it really is amazing. Xx

      Delete
  2. Great post! Some fabulous products you have there! Love it :D
    Ava xox
    http://xovintagewayoflifexo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really work for me and I would repurchase every single one :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. What a lovely little selection Charlotte - great to hear the mix is really working for you. Would love to try the Caudalie elixir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In winter my skin always suffers becomes really dry, some of these beauties might help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I hope so :o)! I'm struggling with the same, but I find that good exfoliation really helps - even though the natural instinct might be to avoid that during the winter so not to aggravate already angry skin... Xx

      Delete
  5. I really need to have a morning routine! I just hurriedly brush my teeth, take a shower and rush to college. All for 10 more minutes of sleep!

    Relationships.College.Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, sleep is my no 1 priority in the morning, but then again sleep is also a big part of the beauty routine right :o)?! Xx

      Delete
  6. What a great post, I love seeing what other people use on their skin! You have the same skin type as me, also you have products that are on my wishlist such as the origins overnight mask, kiehl's eye cream and I really want to try the Caudalie beauty elixir.

    Paula at Beauty Lover x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I can' rave enough about the Origins Drink Up mask, it really is amazing what it does to the skin :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. The 'Origins Drink Up Intensive' overnight mask sounds a delight. Must try; thanks for sharing. You use such lovely products.

    x Roch & Tash x
    www.next-route-style.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, they've worked really well for me this season :o). Xx

      Delete
    2. Great routine
      I have combination oily skin
      I use gatineau products the gommage & some serums have you tried any

      Delete
    3. I'm a massive fan of Gatineau and have tried many of the serums and other products, at the moment I' loving the Aquamemory range :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. The products look great! Winter skin, hair everything, requires so much of care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, good thing it's so enjoyable :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. Amazing products, you have a very enviable collection going on :) x

    Claire | AgentSmyth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks - and still it keeps on growing LOL. Xx

      Delete
  10. This was such an interesting post to read!
    I love the sound of the Caudalie cleanser, and the Decléor Night Balm sounds amazing!

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never come across anything like the cleanser, it's the lovelies feeling of the tiny tiny bubbles on your skin - very relaxing and luxurious :o). xx

      Delete
  11. I'm currently using Dermalogica but had a lot of problems with my skin since my braces were fitted, I think it was the constant anxiety I ha, trying to sort it out! xx

    Tia
    www.bellezzababe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My skin can play up as when I'm stressed, at least I think it's that or it could be the amounts of chocolate I eat for comfort LOL. Xx

      Delete
  12. Ps. now following you on Bloglovin as it turns out I wasn't before! #sillyme

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Charlotte, how are you? I hope you are well. That was a really in depth and interesting read, I been using the simple range and Orgins drink up daytime mask which been wonderful.

    http://www.annanuttall.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, that's really nice of you! Xx

      Delete
  14. Looks like a great routine I really need to get my hands on ORIGIN products!

    www.brightlightau.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are exactly as brilliant as you've read about :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. There so many products here that I would love to try. Esp. the Clarins Santal Face Treatment Oil. I can almost smell it. I feel ashamed that I don't even use half of the products you use. Btw I'm old fashioned too. Can't live without a toner. Wish you a happy new year Charlotte and all the best for 2014. May your dreams come true!!! Thanks for the like on BL. I like your posts back :)

    xx Mira

    www.glamdevils.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely comment and all the best for the new year :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. Great post, I always find I'm reaching for hydrating skincare during the winter months x

    fabheadtotoe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great products! I have been wanting to try Clarins and Caudalie for the longest time. Currently, I'm using the Jurlique rose moisture plus range and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I want to try Jurlique too - it seems amazing! Xx

      Delete
  18. I am dying to get my hands on some orgins products! I only ever hear good things about them. And I always hear good things about Caudalie. One of my beauty gurus on Youtube is obsessed with it!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soo many wonderful things to try - so little time :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. Clarins and origins are in my lust list already! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a good habit using good product, I like these!

    Viky --- MySecretFashionPoison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They work really well for me and they don't cause any reactions or breakouts either :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. I just started using a clarins eye cream a few weeks back and am loving it! I definitely want to try out a few more products from the line! Kiehl's is another brand I'm wanting to try out in the new year!

    Carly
    carly blogs here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great - fuss free, straight forward good skincare! Xx

      Delete
  22. I've been wanting to invest in some good skincare products so I will have a look out for a few of these! x
    thegirlsnextdooruk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get any of these products, you'll have to let me know what you think of them :o). Xx

      Delete
  23. Great post! Have been meaning to try out the Origins Drink Up Mask, sounds so good :) x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't be without it - amazing :o)! Xx

      Delete
  24. I'm very envious of your product collection!!!

    youngandfoolishhappiness.blogspot.co.uk xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) - thank you, I love to try new products, although it's always a bit of a risk when you've got a routine that already works.. Xx

      Delete
  25. Great post. The products look great.
    itsaleyna.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  26. We have the same skin type, and the Clarins range is fantastic, a real investment, I think Lush are great for skincare too, especially their face masks :)
    http://lipstickandlightening.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the fresh face masks, Cupcake is my favorite :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. Great post! I love seeing what skin care other people use!! :)

    If you ever have time i'd love it if you'd be able to check out my blog, im kind of new so any feedback/comments/suggestions would be amazing ♥

    http://xprincessjas.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasmine, thanks for visiting, it's always interesting and you always get some new products you want to try :o). Xx

      Delete
  28. Great skin care regime! I also like Decleor...their balms are amazing on the skin! I have just recently tried a sample of the Origins Drink it Up Overnight Mask and I find my skin nourished and radiant after use.

    Keisha xo xo
    www.chrysalisgals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, the Drink Up mask it so creamy and I love the smell :o). Xx

      Delete
  29. Such lovely products! I recently purchased the Origins mask but haven't had a chance to use it and I really want to try a Clarins facial oil. I have also been loving the Origins make a difference + treatment before my moisturizer to add some extra moisture.

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried that yet, so that's a great recommendation, thanks for that :o). Xx

      Delete
  30. Uhm Clarins is my favorite! I need Avocado eye!!!!
    Kisses
    The Indian Savage Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so rich and luxurious, but still it absorbs straight away so it's really lovely to wear! Xx

      Delete
  31. I agree Charlotte - it really is about finding the right products and getting into a good routine. De-hydration is my main concern too. Origins Drink-Up is on my list to try and definitely Decleor Aromessence Balm xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all, there's only so much water you can drink, so any extra help is always welcome :o). Xx

      Delete
  32. Wow, you have such a thorough routine! That's awesome, it really motivates me to put more effort into my own routine. I've also been meaning to try out some Clarins products - I'll have to go pick some up.

    I'm so glad I found your blog! If you'd like to follow each other, I'd be happy to keep in touch! Just let me know on my blog :)

    xo
    Dolce
    www.mydailysweet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million for visiting and for leaving such a lovely comment. Follow you now and hope to see here again soon :o)! Xx

      Delete
  33. I've heard such great things about Kiehl's skin care products. Maybe it's time to splurge-- this season my skin has been soooo dry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you do splurge, at least you'll know that it's great quality and you only need very little of it, so it'll last a good while :o). Xx

      Delete
  34. Aquamineralspa.com company is one of the most popular Anti Aging Skin Care products, depending on natural Dead Sea minerals, it has a lot of health and beauty values, hot spas, natural salts and black mud.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well, its a nice informative blog on skin care products. All the products you wrote about are seem to as good as Obagi Products. Thanks for sharing such piece of valuable infor4mation with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!