Thursday 23 January 2014

Makeup by numbers with Avon

Hands up if you like makeup?! Yep - that's what I thought, far too many to count and for the avoidance of doubt, I put both of my hands up... Somehow I've stumbled my way through doing my makeup for years and even though I usually wear neutral shades most days, I love to experiment with different colors and looks and it's not unusual that I buy eye shadows, lipsticks and nail polish thinking that I'd wear them all together for a certain look. So I may be a beauty junkie, but I'm far from a skilful makeup artist. I'm definitely what you might call a happy amateur, a very happy one in fact - but still an amateur. That's why I'm a big fan of palettes with ready made combinations of shades, and little instructions on what to do with them - basically make up by numbers, and with the Avon True Colour Eyeshadow Quad (£9) available in 9 different color combinations, you just can't get it wrong.
The packaging is the standard basic black plastic that most of the Avon makeup comes in, so it's nothing fancy but it does have a great sized mirror in the lid and a generous amount of product too. Each of the shades are numbered from 1 to 4, and when you turn the packaging around there are instructions on where you should apply which shade; 1 is a highlighter for the brow bone and inner corner of the eye, 2 is a base shade for the entire lid, 3 is to emphasize the outer corner of the eye and the crease, while 4 is an eyeliner to add some depth to the root of the lashes - but obviously you can be as creative as you want with the colors.

I'd been wanting to try this quad for a long time but I couldn't decide which shade to get, so in the end I ended up going for something completely different from all the other colors that I have in my collection. This palette is called Jeans and it has four slightly shimmery shades in blue hues - all of them (even the more pastel looking shades 1 and 2) are very well pigmented, they are easy to work with, buildable, they don't crumble and they last really well throughout the day. I was quite impressed with the quality of this formula and would definitely try it in other colors too. Blue isn't always an easy color to wear and I can't say that I have many blue eye shadows, but as we're moving into Spring these blue shades might prove more useful and less outlandish than I initially thought and I can see myself using especially shades 2 and 3.

I've always thought that Avon do great lip products and this latest addition - the Avon Perfect Kiss Lipstick5) in Racy Raspberry is no exception. Unlike the very basic eye shadow quad it comes in a lovely, sleek and modern looking metallic packaging and I hope that Avon extends this shiny new look to their other makeup packaging, that frankly needs a bit of va-va-vooming. It's a gorgeous creamy and moisturising formula that contains essential oils and that gives super coverage with a plump satin finish. The finish lasts for hrs and fades evenly without any dry patches. Racy Raspberry is a wonderful French rose pink shade with a definite blue undertone, very soft feminine and versatile. 
Shades 1 to 4 as in the eye shadow palette Jeans + Racy Raspberry

The nail polish is the Avon Color Trend Color Me Pretty Wet-Look Shine Nail Enamel (£3) in Violet Freeze, and this is actually the second time that I've bought this color. As you can see in the photo, in the catalogue it looks like a fabulous cool and frosty Alice blue shade and in my mind it would look perfect with the blue and pink tones of the makeup, but when it arrived it was more of a lilac shimmery multi tonal color almost like the shade called Blue Morph. Never mind I thought and ordered it again, to find exactly the same thing! I can accept that there's always a certain subtle difference between the print of a swatch and reality, but the shade Violet Freeze is nothing like what is shown in the catalogue - I'm sorry Avon but you should fix this since clearly it wasn't a one off!

Moving on from this issuette, it's actually a really lovely nail polish. The formula has just the right consistency, it's quick drying and the standard width brush doesn't leave any streaks or marks in the finish. You easily get an even coverage although it is a fairly sheer polish, which personally I don't think works at all with just one coat, so I would recommend that you apply at least two coats and in the photo I'm actually wearing three coats. The shade Violet Freeze in reality is a sheer blue mauve with a pearlescent look, and despite not being at all what I was after I really do like the shade and think it has an interesting dimension to it. The formula lasts about 3-4 days before it starts to chip and it's very easy to remove. 
 
In the end I pretty much achieved the look that I was going for - frosty cool shades on the eye with a contrasting soft but intense lip color, and despite some minor bumps in the road getting there: all's well that ends well. And on the journey I not only discovered an interesting new nail polish shade but I was also positively surprised by the quality of the eye shadows and I definitely recommend this painting by numbers palette.

58 comments:

  1. It's seems as easy as paint by numbers. Great colors

    www.highheelsandtutus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really impressed by the quality and I might even get some more shades in this :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. I feel scared of bright eyeshadows, but does blue one I have to say look really nice to wear this spring. Maybe its time for me to go and get some and start experimenting.
    http://allaboutevesbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean and usually the only color pop I add is with an eyeliner, but it's fun to try some new looks :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks a million, I'll check it out and I'm already a follower :O). Xx

      Delete
  4. I've just order the palette and waiting for it to arrive. I'm terrible with eye make up so I'm hoping it is as easy as paint by numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So exciting waiting for a delivery :o). I hope you enjoy it, there are so many lovely color combinations to choose from :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm surprised myself at how much I like, despite it being a disappointment at the start :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of make up by numbers! This palette is a little too bright for me but the polish is so cute!

    Tara xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a lovely blue lilac shade, I'm really happy with it now :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. Love Avon products! Soft blue shades are so pretty.

    Jasmine xx For a Real Woman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen quite a lot of soft pastel blues in the spring palettes, so I think I'll get a lot of use from it :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. so nice, love the colors :)
    xx

    http://losaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the palette and the lipstick is so lovely too! Love Avon lipsticks :) xo's

    Laura
    Pink Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really lovely to wear and feel so moisturising too :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. Lipstick is so beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those 'by numbers' type palette, make it so easy!!
    xxx | daisydaisyxxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the colours you chose, especially on your nails!

    Hugs&Kisses,
    Sel | SheJustTalks | Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got some nice shades. I've never tried Avon before but their products seem reasonable x

    fabheadtotoe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think the makeup range is well worth trying :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. I,ve never tried Avon but it seem rather nice! thanks for sharing!

    xx

    Isa

    www.un-likely.com
    http://www.un-likely.com/2014/01/fringed-cardigan.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the colours, nice to see something different from the standard browns and greys.

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The eye shadows and the nail polish are beautiful !!! love the pale purple on you!

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely of you - thank you :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. I love it when makeup gives you a guide like that! I've never tried the Avon one, but I'll have to look into it. Thanks for sharing!!

    xo Megan, Lush to Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great little product and I'll definitely try some other combinations too :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. I've had some really decent thing from Avon too. I love your nail polish :)
    Thanks for dropping by my blog by the way. I am now following you on blogger so, hopefully your already doing the same for me! If so thanks a bunch :D

    Hollie x
    holliefurniss.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Hollie, thank you so much and hope to see you here again soon. Follow you too :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. Looks great. I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to blue shadow but this looks great on you.

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the idea of the numbers, however I don't think I will be able to pull off blue eyeshadow as well as you do x

    daisy-drops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) It's definitely not a shade I'm used to wearing but since I've seen pastel blue in some of the Spring & Summer makeup collections I thought I'd give it a go :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. LOVE LOVE LOVE your colour palette! I love how baby blues look on a blonde! I'm a blonde too and I LOVE blues, browns and sparkles on my eyes!!!! FABBBBB babe! And grrrreat nails!
    kisses
    xoThe Beckerman Girls

    www.BeckermanBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's all very... blue. And it took me a looooong time to appreciate blue. I still find pale blue tricky to work with, but I have to admit that I do like your overall look :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look lovely! I've never tried avon makeup before :) xx

    I am having a giveaway on my blog and would love for you to enter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sadie, thank you so much, I'll check it out :o). Xx

      Delete
  24. This looks great, I've actually just made an Avon order\1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeaay - hope you'll share with us what you bought :o). Xx

      Delete
  25. love when eyeshadow is made easy! crazy about the polish though, that is so far off from the catalog!

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - pretty, but not at all the same and I still want THAT particular color :o). Xx

      Delete
  26. Nice colors, Avon really step up the plate. I don't even remember when was the last time I used Avon but this looks promising. Thanks for sharing.


    Xo
    Sam
    Http://fabulouspetite@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, it's worth checking their range every now and then since they add new things so often :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. Great colour palettes!

    Krissie - http://pearlsofstyle.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Replies
    1. Thanks a million, it' s a a really lovely pink shade :o). Xx

      Delete
  29. Nice nail polish. Love the colour :))

    http://prettypurple92.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Replies
    1. Ah, that's so lovely of you - thank you I really appreciate it :o). Xx

      Delete
  31. Looks fantastic, I love the colours, especially the highlighter. I miss Avon, we don't have it anymore in Ireland. :( It was replaced by Oriflame x
    http://lipstickandlightening.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I've heard that Avon has been withdrawn from some countries... shame really, but there's always eBay :o). Xx

      Delete
  32. What a lovely nail polish colour. I really like the colour of the lipstick too.

    Lorilee

    xxx

    http://lorileeslondon.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't at all the shade I hope it would be, but I've really loved wearing it this month :o). Xx

      Delete
  33. You look gorgeous! The blue really suits you :)
    L xo
    Head-full-of-flowers.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet and I really appreciate that - THANK YOU :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!