Tuesday 7 January 2014

A cheeky little beauty haul

The after Christmas sale is dangerous ground for someone like me, and I'm like a kid in a candy store looking at all the wonderful offers and discounts, trying my hardest not to get too carried away. Despite all the dangers lurking, I did tempt fate and braved the sales early one morning to beat the worst thing about sales - the crowds, and I ended up getting one or two things, well ok... maybe a few more than that...

After years of having played around with makeup but never really thinking about the tools that I was using, I fell in love with Real Techniques brushes last year, and I'm guessing I'm probably not the first one this has happened to. Previously I use to be content with using whatever little hard sponge applicator that came with the product, but having tried the amazingly fluffy, soft and pliable Real Techniques brushes, there's just no going back to anything less than this. Since I still can't quite get used to working with brushes to apply foundation. I decided that it would be better for me to invest in some more brushes for eye makeup and I ended up getting two of the Real Technique Shading Brushes (£7.99). I'm so looking forward to using these brushes with some new eye shadows that I got recently and I'm still completely enamored with Real Techniques brushes. and I have a feeling this new relationship will last for quite a long time to come.

One thing that I will do better this year is to take better care of my growing collection of quality brushes, so I definitely needed to pick up a brush cleanser, and I ended up getting the No 7 Makeup Brush Cleanser (£8). The cleanser is more of a quick fix between uses and it comes with a pump dispenser, so you can spray it onto some tissue paper and then wipe off the brushes. Sounds good to me and although I know I should cleanse the brushes properly at least once a month, this is a great stop gap for me and definitely a step in the right direction when it comes to brush cleansing - all I need to do now is to actually use it...
After these little essentials I passed the stand for Seventeen products and the range of mascaras caught my eye. I don't mind paying a bit more for a super quality mascara, however since I go through them at rocket pace I am always open to a bargain. When I saw what these picks from Seventeen promise to do for my lashes, for a fraction of the cost of what I would normally spend on a mascara, I just had to try them. I crave long, volumized, curled and preferably flared lashes. That's a tall order and that's what the Seventeen Falsifeye Mascara (£4) claims it can do - well I have actually started to use it and I'll do a review of it very soon, and we'll see how it did. The second mascara - the Seventeen Dolld Up Mascara (£4) also promises beautifully curved, volumised lashes for a wide eyed look that lasts 24 hrs and of course I just had to get that as well. I have never managed to get hold of a great mascara for less than approx. £8, but I'm keeping an open mind and let's see if any of them can give my beloved YSLs Baby Doll Mascara a run for its money.

The last product to hit my shopping basket in Boots was a cheeky little lipstick that I have been hunting high and low for, Estée Lauder's Pure Colour Vivid Shine Lipstick (£20) in the gorgeous shade Hot Lava. I love Estée Lauder lipsticks - they are beautifully moisturising, the shine is incredible and they have super wear throughout the day. Hot Lava is a creamy, glamorous, and timeless deep red wine shade that is simply stunning and despite the richness it's not too dark for Spring.
As you know for me no shopping trip is complete unless I get something new for my nails, and this time around I ended up with products that all speak to the OTT side of me (and believe me, there's absolutely no point in trying to quiet that side down). When I quickly browsed through Primark I accidentally spotted some very interesting caviar mixes and the price (£2) each was so low it would have been plain rude not to buy them. Both sets come with a base shade and a caviar mix and although I may not get much use out of the base shades or have very high hopes on the formula, at least I have two very interesting mixes to play with. The first one is a gorgeous and balanced mix of black, silver and gold and I just can't wait to try some different looks with this, and the second one is a lovely mix of different blues; navy, cobolt, deep sky blue, turquoise and silver. I imagine it would look amazing with a tan in the summer.

After that accidental purchase I wandered on to Superdrug where I found a great deal on Models Own products - 2 for £8, which was just too good an offer to refuse, and I ended up getting something I hadn't tried before - the Models Own Artistix Duo (£6) in Terra Crystal and Ember Red. It's the same principle as with Revlon's Moon Candy products, so it's basically 2 products in 1 with a plain base shade at one end and then a different effect top coat at the other. In the first one, Terra Crystal, the base shade is a muted bark brown and the effect is a glitter polish with pink and black particles in different sizes and together they create a very gritty but sparkly look. The base shade in the second one, Ember Red is a deep maroon and the top coat a shimmer mix of lustrous  bright red, orange and gold - I'm so looking forward to experimenting with both of these.
My last stop of this little treasure hunt was Debenhams, where a big sales sign at the Lancome section made me go a little overboard and I ended up getting a few Lancome Ombre In Love Eyeshadows (limited edition - £9.50). The shades are all beautiful shimmering pastels in pink and green with tempting names like Romance Tagada, Pistachio Cream and Cosmopolitan Mint and they looked soooo pretty. The eyeshadows had been taken out of the packaging so what I didn't realise was that they come in a slightly flimsy paper packaging. I really don't like it and it's not at all what I would have expected from Lancome, but I'll just take that in my happy blogger stride hoping that the formula won't disappoint.
I haven't tried any eye makeup from Lancome in a very long time so I kind of look at this as research for the blog, which we all know has to be done - hrmm... and as you may have seen from the Spring & Summer collections 2014, these shade will be VERY useful and I've been very good to plan ahead. Despite my disappointment in the Lancome packaging, I'm still quite happy about what I got overall and I look forward to start testing everything out and I'm planning on publishing the first review in a week or so.

78 comments:

  1. Great haul! That Estee Lauder lipstick looks beautiful :)

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful, I'll do a separate review on it, but it stays on all day - it's FAB! Xx

      Delete
  2. the in love eyeshadows look so beautiful :)

    hobovogue.com . ღ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were so delicate but seemed to have good pigmentation, shame about the packaging - but never mind. A review of them is coming up in a few days :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. Great little haul, I can't wait to see some of the nail polish. I am really intrigued about the ones with the little balls in it.

    http://allaboutevesbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I already have some interesting designs in mind for them :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. Superb beauty haul and loving that it was needed for research. The Lancôme eye shadows look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This definitely isn't helping me with the impulse buys. :) That lipstick looks so pretty. x

    Girl+World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... I know exactly what you mean and all the great beauty sites have too many tempting offers at the moment :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. Its nice to see some Lancomé, its not spoken enough about in the blogging world!
    I adore their eye shadows and even their foundations!

    www.chlotalks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chloe, I agree - the only product I see mentioned really is mascaras, but not so much from the rest of their range :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. Some great choices! I've never actually tried the caviare-type 3D nails before - are they any good? I worry that I'd be dropping little balls everywhere!!
    Jayde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really so easy to do, just put a little bowl or something underneath that collects all the excess and you can pour it back into the bottle for next time around :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. Love love love those nail polishes! So cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great haul. I would love to see how those nail polishes turn out. I am far to clumsy to attempt the caviar nail effect myself x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and I'll definitely do a review of them eventually :o).

      Delete
  10. Oh lovely haul there. Real Technique brushes are the best aren't they... I think I use the domed shadow brush from RT for concealor and works a treat. I've also been using the eyebrow brush recently. At first I found it too thick but actually it applies the product more naturally.

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, I thought the eyebrow brush looked a bit too thick as well, but maybe it's just a question of getting used to something different :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. You've picked up some great goodies :) Hope to see some reviews :) x
    Sweet Dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - absolutely, the first one is coming next week :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. I wish we had 3D manicure kits in India! I am dying to get my hands on one of these babies! I don;t know why but I love hauls :3 I enjoyed this post!

    Relationships.College.Love

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need a new mascara!!! You blog makes me want to go and buy tonnes of make up! Love it xx

    Tatyana
    www.secretlittlestars.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to inspire shopping :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. Great haul!That's interesting!!!
    have a nice week, dear
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those 3d nailpolish sets ^^
    xoxo

    Novelstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to start trying them :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. Hello lovely, hope you are well?! I love the seventeen doll’d up mascara! I have written a full review over on my blog! Its hands down the best mascara of 2013 for me! In fact I just went out yesterday and bought a new one whilst it is on offer in Boots! :)

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing, now I'm really looking forward to trying it :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. Such exciting goodies! Can't wait to see reviews, especially for the mascara's. I think I'm going to pick up that No7 Brush Cleaner sounds really great!

    Stevie | Stevie Hearts Makeup
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything that's quick and easy to use is a plus in my book :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. awesome haul! Can't wait to hear more about those Lancome products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the shades and the will be a review in a few days :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. This is a great haul! Keep it up :)

    http://beautflection.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great haul, I also love the RT brushes x

    fabheadtotoe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm completely addicted to them now :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. Fab haul! I would love to know more about the Lancome products! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, I'll start with reviewing them I think :o). Xx

      Delete
  22. Oh wow what an amazing haul - I can't wait to see the Lancome reviews, Lancome is a brand I've not tried very much from! xx

    Gem // Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither actually, so it'll be so much fun to try :o). Xx

      Delete
  23. Such amazing products - I want them all :-) xxx

    www.stylapetite.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - that's I how I feel when I see people's wishlists :o). Xx

      Delete
  24. Ooo I really like the look of those caviar nail sets from Primark and for £2 each they sound like a bargain! I know now if I want to try the caviar sets I'll grab a set from there. :)

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely, and if you do - please show us the end result :o). Xx

      Delete
  25. Great haul! Looking forward to your individual reviews especially for the mascaras and the EL lipstick!

    www.peonyandpeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be too long until you see them :o). Xx

      Delete
  26. What a haul!! :)
    I really want to try out the Models Own Artistix Duos - they look really great! Plus the new seventeen line really intrigues me - I need to try some of their concealers asap!

    http://ellistuesday.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seventeen definitely has stepped up the game in terms of quality so it will be really interesting to try :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. Woo what a haul :) looking forward to hearing what you think of the seventeen mascara's.
    Maybe Its Megan Leigh xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried one before so it'll be something completely new for me :o). Xx

      Delete
  28. I saw the Lancome eyeshadows on Debenhams website and thought the packaging looked a bit strange and not very luxurious, such a shame really. I hope the formula makes up for the paper box!

    http://ambertypes.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, and it was a bit cheeky to take the pan out of the packaging too - maybe they knew it didn't look very attractive... :o/. Xx

      Delete
  29. great haul! =D
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great haul, you picked up some very nice products:)

    Paula xxx
    My beauty & lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amazing products! Estee Lauder lipsticks are really good. I missed out on Lancome In love collection this spring and I am so sorry about it!
    http://beautylovesbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore the Estée Lauder and from what I can tell this is another beautiful lipstick :o). Xx

      Delete
  32. Love your blog! Also I haven't tried the real techniques brushes yet since they've only just come to Australia but is there any of the collection that you highly recomend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgina and thank you so much for visiting! The first kit I got was the Starter kit since I prefer to use my fingers for foundation, so it kind of made sense to invest in the eye makeup stuff first - it's a brilliant little set and my favorites in that set is the base shadow and crease brush, they are just amazing to work with :o). Hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  33. I've heard some great reviews on the SEVENTEEN dolled up mascara - great choice! :D
    Ellie,xx
    Elephant stories and more

    ReplyDelete
  34. That's so lovely of you, thank you very much and hope to see you here again soon! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. I wonder if brush cleanser is a good investment, I always use warm water with shampoo and conditioner, I might look into the No.7 cleanser, I love No7 :)
    http://lipstickandlightening.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good tip, I'll try for the deep cleansing :o)! Xx

      Delete
  36. Can't wait to see your review of the Lancome purchases!

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, it'll be up next week :o). Xx

      Delete
  37. Great haul! :) A lot of goodies! I discovered Lancome for myself this year and I love it!

    Laura
    Pink Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I do want to try the mascaras too :o). Xx

      Delete
  38. Oh my goodness! How can you afford all these hauls? Hehehe. I did one and I'm close to bankruptcy! Love the products though and Estee lauder lipsticks is LOVE! They are sooooo nice to wear!! ANd lancome! I love lancome so great haul! hehehe Well, I love your blog too so you've a new follower now! :D
    Also I'm new to blogging and i'm trying to meet some fellow bloggers so I'd love if you had some time if you could check out my blog and let me know what you think! it'd be greatly appreciated! And maybe even follow me on bloglovin or gfc if you like the contents and want to!
    Thank you and looking forward to more of your posts!
    Eneshai
    http://thebeautifulcloud.blogspot.ie/
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, that's very nice of you and follow you now, Xx

      Delete
  39. Wow, that s a great haul.. YSL & Real techniques brush... Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it was great fun:o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!