Thursday 30 January 2014

Bon appétit!

I love food - not only to eat it but also to read about it and to drewl over recipes (now that's a pretty picture) for inspiration and ideas, so to receive a food box every month from Kitchen Nomad focusing on different countries with recipes and ingredients representative of that country is an absolute dream. For a while now I've had a longing to go to Paris so imagine how happy I was to discover that this month's theme was French food - oh yum. If I can't explore the arrondissements for fabulous little bistros, then at least I can try and bring a bit of France to our dining table.
Ingredients
Sardine Fillets in Sunflower Oil
Traditional Sea Salt
Clear Honey
Puy Lentils
Mediterranean Salad Croutons
Dijon Original Mustard
Walnut Pieces

So what French delicacies can we cook up with these ingredients?
Starter:
Tomate Slices & Sardine Paté -  sardine paté made with cream cheese, parsley, capers and lemon, served on slices of tomato 
Carrot Tarte Tatin -  tarte tatin with carrots, honey and thyme

Mains:
Chunky Savoie Salad - rustic salad with radishes, apple, cucumber, bacon, cheese and croutons with a walnut vinaigrette
Beer-Doused Ham Hock - beer and lemon infused ham hock, roasted in the oven with honey, mustard, onions, carrots and celery and served on a bed of puy lentils
Dessert:
Walnut & Caramel Tarte - walnuts and salty caramel on bed of puff pastry
I love the Kitchen Nomad concept and always look forward to opening the new box every month, however I have to say that I am a bit disappointed in both the recipes and the ingredients of this month's box. France has such a rich and fantastic food tradition but the recipes included are very middle of the road, they could be from any European country with basic ingredients that I can pick up from any corner shop in the UK. With the exception of the Tarte Tatin I don't get the sense that the ingredients or dishes are very typically French and I guess that for me the element of the new, different and exciting is missing. Oh well, one disappointment out of the five boxes that I've received isn't too bad, but fingers crossed that next month's content is more up my street.  

27 comments:

  1. Great post, love the products, thanks for sharing honey <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. These boxes sound so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a super concept - I'm surprised it doesn't seem to exist in other countries but the UK at the moment... Xx

      Delete
  3. Hi dear,

    would you like to follow each other? On facebook and GFC?

    http://lifeenthusiasm.blogspot.cz/
    https://www.facebook.com/lifeenthusiasm

    Let me know on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! The walnut & caramel tart looks delicious. France does have a lovely range of products/dishes. We love the fresh pastries, always tastes better in France though :-)

    x Roch & Tash x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree and with the Eurostar you could even pop over just for that :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to trying the tarte tatin - iI LOOOVE tarte tatin but have never tried it with carrots :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. That looks so wonderful!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good with some new recipe tips :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, this sounds awesome!! I had no idea this existed! (Have you blogged about it before, because I vaguely remember hearing about it....?) These boxes sound so fun and way better than the beauty ones! How fun!!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've shoed what I've received every month up until now :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. Oh that looks so yummy! Really happy I found your blog!

    Much love xxx
    http://christinanista.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Christina, thank you so much for visiting - that's so lovely of you and I really appreciate it, THANK YOU :o). Hope you'll visit again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. mmm I would love to try out those recipes! I am always keen on trying out new things! :)
    And yum for French cuisine!

    www.callmemaddie.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking about ordering a food box subscription... thanks for sharing this one!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This month's box wasn't a great one for me, but all the others have been really interesting with very yummy recipes :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. What a brilliant idea! I never knew such existed. A great way to sample delicacies from around the world!

    Keisha xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree and to learn something new :O). Xx

      Delete
  12. looks like a good box!

    www.mybeautysleuth.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post!! Looks like some great recipes there :) This is so great Charlotte :)
    Ava xox
    http://xovintagewayoflifexo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's so nice of you :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. I'm big into food too, that dessert sounds divine :)
    http://lipstickandlightening.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a big dollop of cream, it'll be perfect :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!