Sunday 5 January 2014

Thankful for Blogger friends TAG

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all enjoyed the New Year celebrations and since this is the first post in 2014 - the start of a new year in so many ways, it felt as if it's just the perfect time to do the Thankful for Blogger friends TAG that I was nominated for. The first part of it tells you a little bit about my approach to blogging and some thoughts about blogging in general, and the second part gives you a few more facts about myself and I hope you enjoy it!
 Blogging and I:
1. How long have you been blogging? Almost 6 months, my first post went up in July 2013 - it's been an absolutely amazing time and I've got to know some wonderful positive and encouraging people along the way.

2. Are there any bloggers who helped you out/encouraged you when you first started your blog? Well, it depends on what you mean. I have a very positive experience of the blogger community, I've always received a lot of support and encouraging feedback from others and I try to do the same for others, but I also do believe that progress is in proportion to the effort you invest in your blog.

3. What Social Media has given you the most traffic to your blog? Is there a platform that you don’t use? Since not all social media give you a statistical overview of traffic, it's really difficult to say which platform is the most efficient one, but at the moment I promote my blog on Google+, Facebook and Twitter. I'm not currently on Instagram since it's not compatible with my Blackberry, but I'm very excited to be upgrading my phone in April and to start using Instagram, which I think will be great fun, especially since my friends call me the Happy Snapper - so after April you can expect to see a lot more from me.
  4. How often do you post? Do you have a regular schedule? I post every day, unless I'm away on holiday or doing something that forces me to do it less frequently for a short while.

5. Where do you blog? From my home office.

6. What camera do you use? What photo editing software do you use? I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ 28 that comes with me everywhere I go, but I don't use any photo editing software and it's definitely an area that I'd like to explore a bit more to create interesting effects with photos.

7. How did you come up with your blog name? As soon as I decided that I was going to try blogging I actually came up with the name more or less right away. I knew I wanted to use something with candle in the title since I love my candles, and after trying on a couple of names for size I settled very quickly on Makeup by Candlelight. 

8. Do you do any regular “series” posts on your blog? Yes, I have some posts that I do regularly throughout the month, and this year I'll also be introducing some new concepts which I'm very excited about.
 9. What draws you to a blog? For me it's very important that a blog expresses a well formed, balanced and genuine personal point of view, e.g. I don't mind reading a negative review of a product as long as it's clear why the product disappointed. I also really appreciate blogs where you feel that a lot of thought has gone into it and which uses quality photos taken by the blogger.

10. What turns you off of a blog? We all have different styles, which is also all part of the charms with blogs and I while I really do appreciate and know that blogging takes a lot of time, the only thing I don't like is when there's a lack of content, or the post is just one or two sentences - there are other social media that you can use for that. For me it doesn't matter how often there are new posts on a blog, as long as they have content that actually says something. I guess it's all about the quality, not the quantity.

11. How many blogs do you subscribe to? Are they all beauty related? I read several different kinds of blogs (food, lifestyle, fashion, beauty, travel), because it's like having the world at your fingertips and you can experience things through others almost as if you were there too - well, almost... But I also think it's important as a blogger to keep your finger on the pulse of what goes on in Blogiverse in general and I want to continue to learn as much as I can from the amazingly talented bloggers out there so I can keep developing my own style.
 12. When do you generally read blogs? In the morning before work, and also in the evening after work to catch up with the blogging day

 13. What is your favorite/least favourite type of post, and why? I don't really have a favourite or least favourite type of post and I'm curious to read about anything from mascaras, to recipes a book review or pets. For me it's again all about the content and that there's a clear point of view behind it.

Some facts about me:
1. Where do you live? Tell us a bit about your city! I'm based in Winchester in the south of England about 1 hr from London. It's a beautiful quaint university city that has a gorgeous cathedral and lots of interesting historical things to see - Winchester was even the capital of old Saxon England in the 7th century. 
2. What about your home? I'm the first to admit that my personal style can be a bit OTT, but our home is completely the opposite - it's minimalist and very inspired by my Scandinavian roots so it has big windows to let in lots of light, white walls, wooden floors and is very paired down. 

3. Single or taken? Very happily married and celebrating 5 years anniversary in August.

4. Do you have children? No, just my fluffy 4 legged feline baby

5. Do you have pets? Well, we have a temperamental and proud tortoise shell cat, but the way she sees it - SHE has us, not the other way around... after all, Him Indoors and I are just ground staff...
6. Do you have a “day job”? Yes, very much so.

7. How tall are you? I'm an Amazonian 5.4 (a bit over 160 cms)

8. Do you have siblings? Unfortunately not, although I have always wanted an older brother - perhaps I can find one on eBay...

9. 3 words to describe yourself. Organised, Inquisitive, Animal lover

10. Who is your style icon, and why? This probably sounds really boring but I don't actually have a style icon and I take my inspiration from lots of different and unexpected places and people, but there are certain fashion houses and designers that I naturally gravitate towards and find very inspirational e.g. Gucci or Dolce & Gabbana - and from that you can probably tell that I'm not afraid of standing out when it comes to clothes!

11. 3 favorite bands or musicians. Adele, Emily Sande, Mindy Gledhill

12. 3 favorite movies. I love to watch films and have many favourites that I'll watch over and over again so this is a very difficult question for me, and also since I have a serious as well as a childish side I have to list 3 films for each I think; Shawshank Redemption, The Usual Suspects and Edward Scissorhands (who doesn't like a bit of Tim Burton's slightly skewed view of reality). And then we have the childish, bouncy side of me that loves films like How to Train Your Dragon (Toothless reminds me of my cat!), Ice Age and Madagascar and when we go to the cinema I seem to always laugh even louder than the kids.... hrmm... 
 13. 3 favorite books. The Pickwick Papers, 1984 and The Brothers Karamazov

14. 3 random/weird facts about you.
- I have named every car I have ever owned and so far I've been the proud owner of Frog, Sheep, Fox, Shark and Squirrel... I'm sure it's not just me doing this...
- I'm a complete addict to news and absolutely have to have SKY or another news channel on in the background all through the day so that I'm in touch with what goes on in the world. I think it's a side effect of working from home full time.
- I don't eat any type of meat or poultry - if you insist on putting a label on my way of eating it would be pescetarian, and no I didn't just make that word up...
It was really fun to do this TAG since it made me really think about what I appreciate and want from a blog. As usual, anyone is welcome to join in, but I also TAG the following:
Zara from Bows and Pearls
Ruby from Total Modisch
Rochelle & Natasha from Next Route Style
Christie from It's Christie Friday

I'm back as usual again already tomorrow with a new post and I hope we all have a great 2014! Xx

59 comments:

  1. your cat looks so much like toothless :) I want a cat so bad but my parents have this deep set hate towards them lol :)
    <3 victorique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too :O), and I do call her that sometimes, although for sure she was very sharp teeth :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. Everytime I see 'Winchester', I think of Supernatural!
    Would that be a bit scary if you could get a brother via ebay? (Human trafficking at it's finest!)
    THE CAT HAS CHOSEN HER HUMANS WELL
    Anyways, hope you had a fantastic start to the new year!
    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry ʘ‿ʘ | Makeup & Silly things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - definitely scary... Thank you so much! Xx

      Delete
  3. Great post! Your cat looks so cute :-) x

    http://lornaswishingwell.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, she's a character for sure :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, I love tags like this :)
    I'd love to visit Winchester, I love early British history!

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely place, definitely worth a visit :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. This is a lovely post, you write very well and are super positive, no wonder you are doing so well :)
    Http://alittlebitofjenn.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so so sweet of you, thank you VERY MUCH. Have a nice and relaxing Sunday :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. This is a lovely post, you write very well and are super positive, no wonder you are doing so well :)
    Http://alittlebitofjenn.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so so sweet of you, thank you VERY MUCH. Have a nice and relaxing Sunday :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. Awh your cat is cute. I have a tortoiseshell cat too and she can be very feisty and also thinks it's here house. Toothless is so cute. I love how to train your Dragon. Great tag xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :o). I've always thought that whoever did the animation of Toothless must have a cat at home, it's almost the same body language LOL! Xx

      Delete
  8. Can't wait for your new blog projects!! Happy new year dear!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah, thank you so much, I expect them to trickle through little by little in the next few weeks :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. It's always nice to get to know the person behind the blog a bit better! And you know what.. I also name my cars or this one I have now one of my sons named so it's called Egon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not the only, and Egon such a great old Swedish name, perfect for a car :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. Lovely post. I love reading these kinds of posts and getting to know bloggers much more xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really nice - thank you very much! Xx

      Delete
  11. I hope you keep blogging forever because I love this blog! <3

    Relationships.College.Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah, thank you so so much, that's so sweet of you, you've really made my day :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. I really enjoyed reading your answers. I used to live fairly close to Winchester, it's a beautiful place <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I do like Winchester, and it's close enough to London to go in for a great day out :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for the tag Charlotte. It's a brilliant tag. Enjoyed reading your answers; love answer 7, blog name!

    We'll try & complete tag asap & let you know when our post is up.

    x Roch & Tash x
    www.next-route-style.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ladies, thank you very much! Great!! I look forward to seeing your answers :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. Really interesting post.... I love these tags!!!!
    Have a lovely sunday doll!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mille grazie, have a great day - can't believe it's Monday already tomorrow... Xx

      Delete
  15. Looks like the perfect way to start a New Year :D
    I have been blogging for just a little under 2 months but can relate to most of the things you have said !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, and best of luck with your blogging in 2014 :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. what a cute post to know a little more about you! It's nice that you like a range of different type blogs x

    LauraThinksAbout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) it's always nice to learn a bit more about the bloggers that you read, so a good way to start the year :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. Awesome, we started our blogs around the same time! Social media has been tricky, mostly because I always forget to post something on it, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) - well it's not easy keeping up with it all! Xx

      Delete
  18. This is such a fun tag! I love the Shawshank redemption as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million - it's a real feel good movie :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. Thanks for choosing me! I'll give it a go tonight- it should be up sometime this week x

    www.totalmodisch.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeeaay, thank so much for joining in and will be fun to read your answers :o). Xx

      Delete
  20. This was super fun to read! I love the fact that you've named your cars! That's actually a cute idea!
    Also, I agree with the fact that there are so many types of blog and I, as well as you, am following so many types of blogs!
    Love the tag and that you thought out what you wanted to say and didn't just say anything without meaning… if that makes sense?
    Anyway, loved it!
    xoxo,

    berrybloomxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really really nice of you, thank you so much for the lovely comment :o)! Xx

      Delete
  21. Interesting, well thought out answers. Tags are fun and we get to find out so much about each other.
    Barbara @ www.allmylivesnow.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, hope you've had a great weekend! Xx

      Delete
  22. I love this tag. Your cat is adorable. -Hanna Lei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet of you - THANK YOU :o)! Xx

      Delete
  23. Fantastic post!
    I follow your blog.
    Love from http://miescueladetacones.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely post! your cat is cute!

    mybeautysleuth x

    www.mybeautysleuth.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a fun tag! I definitely agree that content is important on a blog :)
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I simply love your blog .... your reviews are really honest and worth reading .
    Wish you a lovely new yr and lots of success
    xoxo Shreya
    http://beautyndbest.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a nice thing to say - thank you so much and it makes me so happy to hear things like that. Have a wonderful 2014, with lots of success, fun and adventure :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. Love your answers especially those about blogging. I agree that content is king!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Instagram is so addictive, you should upgrade your phone soon! I love the fact that you post every day! It is such a hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's really nice of you :O). Xx

      Delete
  29. This is such a great and informative tag. Your blog is incredible and you can definitely tell you put a ton of work in it. I will have to take a few pointers from you and hopefully have even more success with mine in 2014 :) I always enjoyed themed posts or series but haven't done any yet!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hiya Zoe, that is such a lovely thing to say, thank you very much it really means a lot :o)! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!