Monday 20 January 2014

Manic.Monday: Terra Crystal

One of my most recent additions to my nail polish collection is a cute little kit from Models Own that I'd never tried before. It's a duo product along the same lines as Revlon's Moon Candy, so you get a plain base shade in one end of it, and on the other is a fun effect top coat. The Artistix Duo (£8) is available in twelve different combinations where the top coats comes in a variety of different effects e.g. heavy glitters in varying shades and colors, crushed opal candy or pearlescent multi tonal shimmer. This duo is called Terra Crystal, and the base shade Terra Firma is a muted dark coffee brown with a slight red tint to it, and the top coat Pink Crystal is a glitter polish with beautiful pink hexagonal particles and tiny silver specks scattered throughout.
The formula of the base coat has just the right consistency - it's not gloopy but it's not watery either and it has a wonderful depth of color with a great high shine, without having to use a top coat. The brush is of standard width, but it seems to be of fairly good quality and doesn't streak or leave any pesky stray hairs in the polish. The polish dries fairly quickly and although the coverage is good enough with just one coat, I prefer to apply another coat for the shade to really develop and to get a solid opaque look. For me Terra Firma is a great classic and stylish brown shade, a softer option to black and you can definitely wear this on its own, however since I am a total magpie let's move quickly on to the lovely glittery top coat... ooooh, me like...

The top coat is a gorgeous glitter polish, very rich on lovely large pink shapes and tiny silver fragments which helps to get a fairly even spread of the glitter across the nail, although you may need to do some adjustments of the glitter placement. As you can see in the photos I've experimented a little bit with the amount of layers of the top coat, and the density of the glitter is so high that you can definitely use just one coat for a more sparse and sleek look. If you use two coats, you'll get a grittier textured look that reminds me a bit of what I call glam concrete - it's a coarse glittery texture with a very urban look and feel. Should you go for three coats, the nail will be almost completely covered in the hexagons, and it's a much heavier and opulent look than the other two.
From left to right (in natural light):
Terra Firma (2 coats)
Terra Firma + 1 coat of Pink Crystal
Terra Firma + 2 coats of Pink Crystal
Terra Firma + 3 coats of Pink Crystal
From left to right (in artificial light):
Terra Firma (2 coats)
Terra Firma + 1 coat of Pink Crystal
Terra Firma + 2 coats of Pink Crystal
Terra Firma + 3 coats of Pink Crystal

As with many effect polishes the consistency is a little thicker and it takes a few mins to dry so if you do decide to layer it, I would recommend that you let each coat dry properly before applying the next one, so you don't unintentionally end up moving the particles around before they've set properly. I haven't tried this on my nails yet, so I don't actually know how easy it is to remove the polish, but something tells me, it takes a fair bit of effort. If any of you have tried the Artistix Duo, please let me know in the comments what it was like to remove.  

All the looks are lovely in their own way, so which style you go for is really dependent on your personal preference. As you know I'm not shy with my nail polishes and I also really like contrasts so I would probably wear two coats for an urban look and feel - which one would you go for?

66 comments:

  1. You do nail layering well xx

    http://reallyliteral.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The glitter really makes this polish stand out, I have to have a look out for these. I need some more glitter polishes in my life!

    http://allaboutevesbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you can have too many of them :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. The terra firma colour is really nice. On the picture the pink flecks make it reminiscent of lava. I really like it. Your have to share the other colour at some point lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really interesting effect and it's such a pretty pink - I think I'll try it with some other base shades too :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. This looks really lovely but the problem with glitters is they're such a pain to get off that I rarely use them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - next time I'll try a trick I read about which involves soaking and tin foil... :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. ooh these are pretty! loving that bright blue! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Ciao Serena, thank you so much, it's a beautiful effect :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. I love those two nail polishes together! They look lovely! xx

    Mapped Out | A Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's glittery but gritty at the same time :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. This look lovely, i rarely wear glitter nails their hard to come off on my natural nails
    Shana-Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I don't know about this formula, but some of them (and especially if they've got graffiti like particles) are just terrible. Xx

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I think it's quite a cool effect and I*d love to try it with some other colors too :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. the glittery and polish combination is just awesome ! truly brilliant dear
    xoxo
    shreya

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous! Love glitter on nails!

    Viky --- MySecretFashionPoison

    ReplyDelete
  12. The look is amazing and I would probably rock it for a night out or a dinner party but glitters are just too damn annoying sometimes.

    http://thinkworkandgo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed these aren't too bad to remove, but you're right, some can be a real nightmare :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. What an amazing effect. Personally I think it looks best with just one coat of pink crystals. As gorgeous as the glitter looks I don't use it. It's too much effort to remove it :D
    Thanks for the like on BL. I liked your posts back <3

    xx Mira

    www.glamdevils.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mira, thank you so much, that's really nice of you :O). Xx

      Delete
  14. Ahh. if you do I hope you do a post on it - I haven't made up my mind yet if I like it or not and I would love to hear what you think of it :o). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I HATE waiting for glitter to dry between coats, so my mani is always messy. lol

    xo
    www.style-wire.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look so great, they're like the Revlon duos. I need to give these a go I think x

    fabheadtotoe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's exactly the same principle, but with these the top coat has so many different effects, not just the one - and it's definitely worth getting :o) Xx

      Delete
  17. love the versatile looks you can get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so pleased that it layered so well :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. These are gorgeous! I've mmm'd and ahh'd for ages before in store about whether to buy one or not! I think I will in the near future. ^_^

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, if I get another it'll probably be the Snow Mix or Boogie Dream :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. I bet this nail polish combo would look great in an ombre effect making it super opaque with the glitter at the top of the nail and slowly getting more sparce :)

    -Shelby
    http://bittersweetshelby.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never tried one of these before but I love the effect they create, I think I would got for 3 coats x

    daisy-drops

    ReplyDelete
  21. Replies
    1. It's a fun little duo and I'll probably pick up some more of these :O). Xx

      Delete
  22. they look lovely together. You are good in layering nail polishes.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this!! I love your blog as well! Its lovely :)

    http://ncolesnotes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole, thanks for visiting and for the lovely comment! That's really lovely of you and hope to see you here again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  24. Wow the colors are gorgeous! Gonna look into getting these for myself :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice - if you do get them I hope you'll share with us in a post :o). Xx

      Delete
  25. Ohhhh that's pretty! I love that it's sparkle in a minimal way.

    Now following! Follow back if you like :P
    Coffee Kisses, xoxo
    Alicia
    Lattes & Lacee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alicia, that's so nice of you thank you! Follow you too now and hope you'll visit again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  26. I love nail polish posts! The first coat of glitter makes the polish really stand out.
    xo Mia
    www.plushluxexo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised at the difference in the layering, but they're all nice in their own way :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. Very pretty! This looks really nice.The pink on the brown is a very interesting combination. And is that a Revlon duo nail polish I see? I have the same one!


    May from La Vie En May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted :o)!! They're so much fun to wear and I think I might get Revlon Milky way soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  28. I have one of the Revlon duos like this and the base shade is so thick and gloopy that it really has put me off trying anymore duos like this as it's unusable :( this does look very pretty though! Gotta love a glitter topcoat! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's a shame - at least you can use the top coat :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!