Thursday 16 January 2014

January empties

This might sound a bit strange for a shopaholic who shows no restraints at all when it comes to buying new things, but often when I get something new it take ages before I actually open it and use it - and that takes quite a lot of restraint I can tell you. Mostly it's because I want to finish something else up first and I also quite enjoy knowing that there's a "shiny new toy" waiting for me when I've been good and disciplined enough to use another product up first. That leads me on to the empties of this month, and since I've been quite good I think I can reward myself with finally opening one of my new goodies.

I don't think there will ever be a monthly empties post where I don't have a dry shampoo since it's a staple item for me, so let's get the dry shampoo out of the way first... I'm sure I'm not the only one who rely on dry shampoo to refresh the hair in between washes, or maybe even use a little for added texture, even if oil control isn't needed. The one I finished the past month was Batiste's Paisley (£2.99) which is quite a rich, flowery and slightly spicy scent. For some reason I can't find it anymore online, although I have seen it in Boots but there are of course so many other lovely Batiste scents to choose from and I've already got my next one lined up.
Last August I did a post on the wonderful Avon Apricot and Shea Butter product range, and since I quickly discovered that it was a very limited edition, I've cherished it and only used it every now and then to make it last as long as possible but the day has now come when I've finished the 2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioner, Shower Gel and Body Lotion. I only use 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioners every now and then as they can be quite harsh on the hair, but since this one contains shea butter it doesn't strip down the hair and I was surprised at how easy my hair was to detangle after I'd used it. I like a lot of Avon products but I also find that some of the products from the Naturals body care range smell lovely but don't always add a lot of moisture, however this is not at all the case with these. It's probably because of the shea butter, but both the shower gel and body lotion were quite thick and creamy to use and felt really luxurious especially since they made the skin feel very soft and hydrated for a good few hrs after the shower. But let's also talk about the amazing scent for a minute - it's a lovely soft and juicy mix of fresh sweet apricot and subtle vanilla from the shea butter, and it reminds me of a yummy and irresistible ice cream sundae. It's absolutely gorgeous and I so wish that Avon would bring it back - I would be first in line to pick up 10 of each product!

The lovely Caudalie Beauty Elixir (£25.59) has been a part of my daily beauty routine for a few years now and I finish both my morning and evening cleanse with a refreshing spritz of this amazing facial spray and I love it so much that I actually carry it with me in my handbag and use it throughout the day too. Why do I love it? - well I'm glad you asked... First of all the dispenser sprays just the right amount to add moisture but without making your skin wet, and it settles on your skin in a fine mist that adds radiance and hydration. Secondly, the scent is wonderfully aromatic with lovely zingy mint, warm rosemary, a hint of orange peel and subtle rose - divine, and lastly it really perks up not only my skin, but my mood too - so what's not to love? It's an indulgent treat but after all, we all need a little indulgence in our lives.

Over winter I've really focused on hydrating my skin and that goes for not just my face, but my body, hands and feet too. It's oh so easy to ignore the tootsies so I quite like to have a really pampering, lovely cream to motivate me to being nice to my feet, and the lotion I've used the most is Burt's Bees Peppermint Foot Lotion (£12.99) which has a lovely fresh and icy cool scent of menthol and peppermint oil. It's quite a milky lotion, and not as rich and buttery as I would usually go for, but it absorbs quickly, nourishes and hydrates the skin as well as locks in moisture. The feet feel so refreshed and energized after using it, and it's a great excuse to put on some cute socks afterwards to help the skin soak up all the moisture even more.
Since I wanted to make some space in the perfume drawer for any goodies that Santa might bring me in December, I made a real effort to finish up some perfumes that only had a little bit left in them. This meant that I had to do something I don't do very often - wear the same perfume several days in a row, and this herculean task meant that in the end I actually finished off my Marc Jacobs Honey (£33.15). Contrary to what you might, think this is a very sunny, playful scent with lots of fruity notes; fresh pear, sweet and juicy mandarin and orange with only a subtle golden honey sweetness to it. At the same time it's soft, warm and inviting and not sharp or zingy in any way. For me it's a lovely balanced and uncomplicated scent and while it probably is a typical summer scent I think it works just as well in the winter since the cooler temperatures really brings out the crispness of the fruit. It's a delicious and sparkling scent that I've definitely enjoyed wearing, but for me it's a little bit on the light side and for that reason I don't think I'll be repurchasing it at the moment. 

As you may remember I bought a lot of Lily-Flame candles (£8.50) before Christmas that have filled the house with different wonderful festive scents that I hadn't tried before. I love candles that have a very distinct scent and that really capture a mood, and Christmas Spice did just that. It's a homely, warm and welcoming scent of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves - absolutely lovely. I've raved about Lily Flame candles before - they have a great range of scents to choose from, look good enough to eat, are very reasonably priced and last but not almost most importantly, the burn so well. Burning time is about 35 hrs and they burn really REALLY well - from side to side, completely down to the bottom of the tin with no waste at akk as you can see in the photo, now THIS is how a candle should burn in my view. If you haven't tried Lily Flame candles yet I highly recommend them and have actually just placed a new order for more scents to take us into spring.
The last product of this month's empties is the Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray (£9), which over the party season has been absolutely brilliant at helping my makeup stay on longer. It's a nice, non perfumed spray that somehow mysteriously lowers the temperature of the makeup, so that it stays in place without any smudging or shine. It feels lovely and cooling on the skin and I've used about 4-5 spritzes of it both after foundation (but before powder) and once I've finished my makeup completely. The only thing I would say is that the spritzer isn't brilliant and instead of a fine mist, it's a bit more watery so I spray this quite a bit away from my face and then lean into it, if you see what I mean. Despite this I still really enjoy it and will definitely repurchase it and this time, I'll go straight for the big size.

That's the end of the empties, time to start over on the batch for next month and I've set myself a goal - to finish up even more products for February's post. Do you think I'll manage? - well there's always the prospect of starting to use a shiny new product to keep me motivated...

78 comments:

  1. Ooh I love empties posts. Love Caudalie elixir really refreshing.

    Mybeautysleuth x

    www.mybeautysleuth.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for using up your stash, I know what you mean it can also take me ages to use up my products especially when you have something new already.
    http://allaboutevesbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least my goal will keep me focused for next month :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. I am the exact same when it comes to taking ages to use up my products. great post!

    Rachael x
    All The Little Things x | Rachael McClenaghan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It's an absolute must have for me :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. Batiste is the only thing I have tried from your empties but I think they are amazing dry shampoos. They even have coloured ones that don't appear white. I believe they have one for people with brown and red hair and they are amazing! This was a life saver when my hair was Red as the white just would never totally come out and it would leave my hair a weird pink colour. Absolute must for those days when you're just too lazy to wash and style your hair, or you simply are just having a bad hair day. That bumble bee perfume bottle is just so cute by the way :) I would love to have that sitting on my dresser.

    -Shelby
    http://bittersweetshelby.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very cute bottle - I might keep it just as a collector's item :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. I got the Marc Jacobs perfume for xmas and I love it! :)

    Jemma
    www.thenameofbeauty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Marc Jacobs honey perfume, such a pretty scent! X

    Abby | Beauty and a Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need to try the Caudalie Beauty Elixir, everyone says very good things about it.

    xoxo

    Giveaway now on the blog!!! // Estamos de sorteo!!!! Link
    Style and Paper
    Bloglovin
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't be without it - it's wonderful to use :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. I have an unused bottle of Caudalie Beauty Elixir, I need to give it a whirl! I also love Burts Bees' products.

    Tara xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely, I hope you'll like it as much as I do :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. I really want to try Urban Decay's setting spray. I'm currently using their eyeshadow primer and it's fantastic.

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, the primer is lovely and for me it's the best one I've tried so far :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. I love this, your reviews are so awesomely thorough! Also, you've reminded me that I need more of my Caudalie elixir!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's such a lovely comment :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. I love this! I do the same thing with buying a new product to serve as a goal for finishing up something else! I have got to get a bottle of the Caudalie Beauty Elixir. It has been ages since I had some and I remember loving the way it felt and smelled! Thanks for the reminder! :) And congrats on finishing a perfume! Herculean, indeed! I am almost through with my bottle of Chloe and I can't believe it! It's one of the only perfumes I've ever owned that I loved so much I wore it every. single. day. I got Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Fresh for Christmas and I've been in love with that. I've really wanted to smell the MJ Honey, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great fresh and fruity scent and I do like Honey, it's just that there are so many other lovely scents to try too :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. I love caudalie ;-)

    www.mylovelyworld9.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite brands too :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. This post was really cool. I have never ever used half of the featured products. I will so try them now! Thanks for sharing, friend! :)

    Relationships.College.Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeay - always happy to give some inspiration to buy new products :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. I am so in love with Honey, it smells so good!
    -
    Ester @ Drawing Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done for using up your products, I'm terrible at doing this, I start using something else instead! x
    Sweet Dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's very tempting isn't it :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. Great post, I love to caudalie beauty elixir too - it is amazing x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved the limited edition sugar plum and vanilla limited edition range Avon brought out a couple of winters ago. Wish I had thried this one!

    www.peonyandpeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always risky with limited editions isn't it - and if you do like them, stock up straight away maybe :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. Lovely post! I have just ordered quite a few haircare products from Avon and two of them are from the Naturals range; one leave-in treatment with apricot & shea and one 2-in-1 shampoo with mango & ginger. Really looking forward to trying them!
    Ooh, looking forward to seeing which Lily Flame candles you've ordered! My Fairy Dust tin is nearly empty and I can't wait to get a few more. xxx
    The Jolly Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I adore Fairy Dust - it's my favorite candle scent, it's just wonderful :o). Xx

      Delete
  20. Great post! Congrats on finishing a perfume; that takes ages to use up! The Avon Naturals are so amazing. I have so many of their shower gels, and they smell delicious!
    xoxo Lauren
    www.willsingformakeup.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - time to open another one :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. I love urban decay makeup setting spray ! Enjoyed reading this post dear <3 <3
    xoxo
    http://beautyndbest.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best setting spray I've tried so far - thank you very much :o). Xx

      Delete
  22. Its so nice to open new products, I always leave a little bit just so I can get to them quicker! :) xx
    http://insaneaboutmakeup.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that's why I have to try and be disciplined, otherwise I would never use anything up :o). Xx

      Delete
  23. Awesome empties! I've been wearing MJ's Honey these past few days and I absolutely love it! :)

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice things, I really like Caudalie products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million - Caudalie is such a great brand :o). Xx

      Delete
  25. Nice post. I used Avon shampoo but it wasn´t good for me and the bottle of Marc Jacobs parfume is so sweet. :)
    fashionhappenss.blogspot.sk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found exactly the same - my hair really doesn't like any of the Avon shampoos except the 2-in-1s, but still they can be quite drying on the hair so I only use them every now and then :o). Xx

      Delete
  26. Such lovely products I would love to try some of these! :-) Need to try Marc Jacobs Honey!! xxx

    www.stylapetite.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the Marc Jacobs perfume!

    xx
    http://analeote.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love Lily Flame candles, they're so amazing! I also love the Honey perfume, the scent is devine x

    daisy-drops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised they aren't mentioned more often, but for me it's a great option to Yankee Candle :o). Xx

      Delete
  29. I'm a huge fan of anything by Avon as I used to be a rep for them. I love the lotions, although not tried this scent before x
    Heroine In Heels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'd be like a kid in a candy store :o). Xx

      Delete
  30. I really want the Marc Jacobs Honey perfume!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You've used up some great stuff! I want the Marc Jacobs perfume... whichever one comes in the red bottle!!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - I think that's Dot, it's a little bit too sweet for me but again the bottle is almost a collector's item :o). Xx

      Delete
  32. OMG I'm like you too. I actually end up waiting a while before using/wearing something too. That's so good to know someone else is like that. haha.
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) - it's nice to have something to look forward to! Xx

      Delete
  33. I'm dying to try Marc Jacobs Honey. All his bottles alone are enough to make me want them, they must look so pretty on a dressing table!

    Belle x
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree completely, they really are little works of art :o). Xx

      Delete
  34. Replies
    1. It's always said if it's a very loved scent or even worse a limited edition! Xx

      Delete
  35. You are the first I know to finish the Marc Jacobs Honey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) - I wore it so much during the summer, so I had a head start for winter :o). Xx

      Delete
  36. 1 or 2 dry shampoos always make it into my empties as well! I just finished up my Caudalie beauty elixir and was very sad to see the end of it

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you repurchase it, but if you're looking ofr a bore budget friendly option the Avene Thermal spray is great too :o). Xx

      Delete
  37. Honey by Marc Jacobs smells so good and the bottle is super adorable! I've been wanting to get Dot, but I already have around 5 perfumes, so I find it hard to justify buying another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean and that's why I won't repurchase it for a while :o). Xx

      Delete
  38. great products , i love the candle and Marc Jacobs honey
    The Inked Blonde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I definitely recommend the Lily Flame candles if you haven't tried them before :o). Xx

      Delete
  39. I love the Batiste dry shampoo... I just recently used it for the first time and was happy with how great it works!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great affordable option and so many gorgeous scents to choose from :o). Xx

      Delete
  40. I had no idea the UD make up setting spray was so cheap! I think I'll pick it up in Dublin this week! :) and I love the Avon shampoos and conditioners :)
    lipstickandlightening.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great little investment and it's the best setting spray I've tried so far :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!