Sunday 19 January 2014

Falsifeye mascara by Seventeen

A few weeks ago I was in Boots for the sales, not really looking for anything in particular when I passed the Seventeen stand and there was an offer on mascaras - which was perfect since my L'Oréal Butterfly (review here) is about to run out. I've never really tried much from Seventeen in the past, however they've re-branded themselves, vamped up their packaging and released some new products e.g. the lip crayons that have really impressed me. Since I couldn't decide which mascara to get and they had a great offer I ended up getting two, an one of them was the Seventeen Falsifeye Mascara. There are so many mascaras that promise to either lengthen or volumise the lashes, but just to be difficult I want my mascara to do both those things and if it also flares out the lashes - then even better. That's exactly what Falsifeye promised, so I was very excited to see what it was like. The mascara comes in 3 shades - blackest black, black and brown and I went for black, which gives enough contrast for me, although I think that blackest black would be really lovely for a more dramatic evening look.
From left to right:
Falsifeye Mascara Brush
YSL Baby Doll Mascara Brush
L'Oréal Falselash Flutter (Butterfly) Mascara Brush

Let's start with the packaging. Packaging definitely isn't everything and although I probably will be drawn in by a sleek, stylish looking product, for me in general it's not nearly as important as e.g. the scent of a product. Having said that though, if there's something about the packaging that effects the practicality or use of it, that will be a minus point in my book and that's exactly the case with this mascara. The packaging is quite chunky and because it's rectangular as well, it takes up a lot of space in your makeup bag or in your makeup storage, and more importantly - and this probably sounds like a silly detail, but the handle of the wand doesn't sit very comfortably in your hand since it's angular and pointy.

Most mascaras don't really come into their own until after you've used them for a good few weeks, but after almost three weeks of use, the formula of Falsifeye is still quite wet and in order to volumise the lashes, you have to work at it for quite a while, but this could also at least be partly because of the brush. The brush is very VERY thick, and personally I think it's too thick. In theory a really thick brush should give great lash coverage, but when it's too thick like this one and the wand is also very stiff, it's difficult to get to all the lashes from the tiniest ones at the inner corner of your eye, to the outer ones. In short the coverage isn't great and when you go back in to cover the inner corner lashes, you have to be very careful not to smudge all over, since the angle is a bit tricky and there is zero flexibility of the wand. With a brush of this width I think it could benefit from having some kind of flex function, to make it easier to work with. On the other hand, it's probably this stiffness that helps to easily extend the lashes and create a wonderful fanning effect that really opens up the eye, and is flattering on everyone.

Even though the mascara isn't water- or smudge proof, it still lasts really well throughout the day and it's very easy to remove without any pulling on the lashes. To sum it up, the mascara does lengthen the lashes and the fanning effect is lovely, however for a volumised effect you really need to put in some effort. Overall it's an OK mascara and it's an ambitious attempt at a product that does it all - lengthen, volumise and fan, but for me it does fall short especially when you look at competing products in the same price range from Maybelline and Max Factor.

33 comments:

  1. Loved the honest review dear ! So far for me Victoria Secret triple drama mascara was able to fulfil all the 3 claims.
    xoxo
    Shreya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shreya, I didn't even know that VS did makeup :o). I'll keep that mind next time I see a VS shop :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. great review dear I Love the packaging. New post on my blog =) Valentines outfit ideas =) hope you'll check it we can follow each other too if you like =) hugs http://anotsosecretlife2011.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, follow you now :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. I've been eyeing up this mascara and the Seventeen Doll eyes one but after reading this I think i'll steer clear of this one! Thanks for the honest review :) x

    Molly's Beauty Spot | A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a few tweeks of formula and brush it might be a very goo mascara, but at the moment it's not something I would repurchase :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. That's so lovely - thank you very much :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. I've only ever used one Seventeen Mascara and I really liked it, I find that most mascaras come into their own once they dry out a little. Lovely honest review x

    fabheadtotoe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me the mascara is almost perfect just before they run out LOL Xx

      Delete
  6. Great post, thanks for the honest review :)
    lipstickandlightening.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good honest review...a shame that it didn't work out for you. At the moment I'm really loving L'oreal Telescopic in Carbon Black. I've really had good results from it and it is now a staple in my beauty bag.

    Thanks for sharing
    Keisha xo

    www.chrysalisgals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Telescopic is another great formula, and definitely a mascara I would buy again :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for visiting me, I just followed you on BLOGLOVIN :) Would love if you followed back!

    http://www.fashionhypnotised.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much - follow you now :o).

      Delete
  9. great review and i love how u compared!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great view of the tips, really shows how the brush can make a difference!
    you could take a look at my blog! just started!!! eekkk
    https://www.bloglovin.com/butterflybeautydiaries
    http://butterflybeautydiaries.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, definitely and the biggest isn't always the best :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. Great review dear!! :) Lovely blog you have!
    Would you like to follow each other? Let me know :)
    Have a good week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, that's so nice of you - follow you now. Xx

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the review! I am a huge packaging person, and I really didn't like how this product looked. Had no idea Seventeen made makeup either. What do you think of the YSL Baby Doll Mascara? It's one of my personal favorites. The brush is pretty thin and so is the formula, but it works well with my lashes.

    May from La Vie En May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby Doll is one of my favorites as well, I've almost used up the one I've got but I'll repurchase it straight away - it's beautiful and the brown shade is a lovely option to black :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. great review!!!

    www.thestylebender.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really loved the comparison picture compared to other mascara wands. It really does show you just how much thicker the brush is. I have small eyes as it is, I'd be terrified of poking my eye out or something! Think I'll give this a miss and stick to my Max Factor Masterpiece MAX mascara for now. Love the honest and in-depth review!

    Kerry x
    dulltoglam.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's really nice of you and I always try to give an honest but balanced view of a product :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. I've never even glanced at Seventeen's display before and I didn't know they did anything other than nail polishes. I have such short and problematic lashes than lengthening and separation is so important. This Falsifeye brush does look slightly tricky to navigate.

    I've just started using the L'Oreal Butterfly effect mascara and I love it!

    Sej || What Would Grace Kelly Say?

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you - the Butterfly is absolutely amazing and for me it does everything that I need - volume, length and flare, what else could a girl want :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. I think I have this mascara lying around somewhere, the fact that I don't know probably means that I wasn't very impressed either!xx

    www.loobydoobahhdiidoo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - a further few weeks into using it, I've decided it's definitely not for me since the formula has dried and is really cloggy ... Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!