Saturday 14 December 2013

Kiss from a winter rose

Christmas time is the season for all things party, and it's a chance not only to dress up in glamorous outfits but it's also a time to be creative and have fun with makeup, trying on some looks that you might not normally go for. I'm definitely not a professional make up artist but I love to experiment and try on different looks, and since berry and plum shades are on trend I wanted to do a smokey rose eye look using some new shades that are a bit richer and darker and which would work well for an evening winter look. 
Usually I would start by applying my foundation however since I did a smokey eye, I actually left this to after I'd finished my eye makeup to avoid fall out and tedious corrections under the eye, so let's go straight to the eye shadows that I used. I started with applying a wash of The Body Shop Colour Crush Eyeshadow* (£7) in Grape Expectations all over the lid and even a little bit winged on the outer eyelid. It's a great silky eye shadow, that's very rich in pigmentation. You only need very little of this eye shadow, so I would recommend that you start lightly and then build it up and blend it out, which is nice and easy to do because of the lovely texture. The shade Grape Expectations is a beautiful truly matte, deep plum purple with a faint red note that I think would work for most eye colors. I also used what was left on the brush after all the blending and used that to line the lower lashline. To deepen the look I then added DAMS eyeshadow* (£16) in Damson Black to the socket line and also to the wing I created with Grape Expectations for more contrast with my blue eyes. The DAMS eye shadow is another creamy and very pigmented product where you only need very little for a dramatic impact, and I was positively surprised that there was hardly any fall out at all, despite all the blending that I did and the finish turned out very even and intense without looking heavy or cakey.

For definition I added Avon Glimmerstick Eyeliner (£3) in Blackest Black which is a wonderful smooth eyeliner that is long lasting and waterproof so you can also use it on your waterlines for even more impact. I applied the eyeliner on both the upper and lower lashlines and then it was time for the key to the smokey look - the smudging. In a way a smokey eye will hide all sorts of make up sins if you just smudge it enough and unlike blending which softens everything - smudging adds an edge, an attitude: "I slept in my makeup and I look fab" kind of feeling... I used The Body Shop Smudger Brush* (£9) which has a generous soft foam tip that is so flexible to work with and it creates that wonderful fused and slightly messy smokey eye look. I was really impressed by this brush and as much as I love my Real Techniques brushes I will definitely try some of the other brushes that The Body Shop offers. To finish the eye area I had to use the amazing butterfly effect mascara False Lash Flutter from L'Oréal (£10.99). I've mentioned this so many times before so I'll just say that it adds length, volume and flares the lashes all at the same time - perfect when you're going for a heavy eye look.
Having finished the eye area, it's time for foundation and I used The Body Shop All-In-One BB Cream* (£12) in shade 3 Beige. I had never used a BB cream so I don't have much to compare with, but it contains hydrating qualities as well as pigmentation to even out your skin, in short it combines skin care and make up in one products. From the tube the cream looks white, but as soon as you start massaging it in, the pigmentation is released and this will adapt to your skin tone. When I first saw the pigmentation appear on my skin - a rosy terracotta, my heart almost stopped because that is as far away from my natural skin color as you can get. Luckily it did somehow miraculously adjust and gave a light-weight even coverage that not only felt very pleasant and natural on the skin but it also looked very natural. It lasted well throughout the day without transferring onto white clothes and when I removed it, my skin felt hydrated and smooth, as if I'd just moisturised. The only thing I'm not keen on is the scent which gets quite distinct as you work on getting an even coverage partly because I don't find it quite synthetic and  also because it changes into a more dry and powdery scent. I do however like the BB cream and since the scent is fades quite quickly it won't stop me from using it.

I didn't apply any blusher because I wanted the eye makeup to all the talking, but that of course is a personal choice and you could easily wear a berry shade to match. For my lips I used The Body Shop Colour Crush Lipstick* (£10) in Innocent Pink which is a light pale delicate pink with a slight shimmer that gives an almost nude look, great for contrasting a heavy eye. The lipstick feels very moisturising and it fades well and evenly after a few hrs, without any horrible dry patches. 
A smokey eye isn't always easy to carry off in the day time, but depending on which shades to choose, it's less of a vampy look and using the berry shades give depth, without being too dramatic, so for me the look works in the day time as well. If you're looking for inspiration The Body Shop has a wonderful series of mini tutorials to create different Smokey Eyes; Intense, Nude, Subtle, Jeweled or Rose. What do you think - do you like a smokey eye and a nude lip or have you created another look recently that's your new favourite?

63 comments:

  1. You look pretty, love the makeup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, that's really nice of you :o): Xx

      Delete
  2. Loved the look and the lippy shade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a bit paler than I would usually go for, but I wanted it to off set the eye make up :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I didn't know they did a BB cream! Defo need to try it out I think :) Xx

    thriftyskies | beauty and trends ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very pleasantly surprised by it :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. Have wanted to try a BB cream for a while now. Might have a look when I get in to work this morning. You look lovely. Great post!

    Rachael x
    All The Little Things x | Rachael McClenaghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet of you, thank you it means a lot :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. That lipstick is lovely on you. It really suits you xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. so pretty, sweetie, love the eye make-up alot
    http://coeur-of-fashion-blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very nice of you - thank you so much! :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. That Body Shop shadow looks gorgeous, it really suits you x

    fabheadtotoe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look pretty and the eye look is gorgeous! I love to wear smokey eye looks for the Christmas season.

    http://allthingsglitterandbeauty.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet of you Amelie - thank you! It's definitely a great time to go wild and wear some daring makeup looks :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. I REALLY want to get my hands on the BB cream! It looks sooo good!
    I really enjoyed your post, friend!

    http://longdistancecollegelove.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I really appreciate that :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. You look beautiful. Love the smokey eye look, it really suits you. May have to purchase the 'Body Shop Colour Crush Lipstick' - compliments your eye look so well :-)

    x Roch & Tash x
    www.next-route-style.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lipstick is great, so moisturising and lovely to wear! Thank you so much :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. great look! the combination of the smokey eye and lighter lip really work well together. I am new to the body shop makeup but I have only heard great things about it :)

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I definitely recommend it and the range of lipstick shades is just amazing :o)! Xx

      Delete
    2. I have one but it's a different formulation. It's great but a bit dark for me. These Colour Crush ones are definitely ones I want to pick up next :)

      Delete
  12. I am looking for a new BB cream to add a little bit more moisture, maybe I will have to try this one out!

    jess | Quaintrelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have much to compare with since I've never used BB Creams before but it does feel very nice and moisturising :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. Hey Lovely blog, can we stay in touch?
    Can we follow each other?

    http://the-glamorous-diva.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just gorgeous, love the lipstick shade xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love different variations of the smokey eye! These plum shades look beautiful on you. And thanks for cluing me in...I didn't realize that the Body Shop had a BB cream.

    www.chrysalisgals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love experimenting with it, another lovely variant is using blue shades :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. I would love to try out that soft pink lip stick as I don't have any of those in my make up storage & it seems to look divine on you! :)

    www.callmemaddie.com
    Win a $150 gift card from Jollychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to try that Body shop BB cream, how long does it last on you? Did you set it with power?

    Ineffable Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually lasted all day and I didn't set it with powder, so it's really long lasting :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. I'm using for years body shop makeup-it's really good and their lipsticks and concealer are amazing! love your smoky eyes and the nude lips-suits you perfectly!

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really impressed by the new range of lipsticks and the shades are amazing! Xx

      Delete
  19. the plum shade looks so pretty on you !! i have never tried Body shop makeup ever ... looks like i need to try it :) xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's really nice of you :o)! Xx

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. Thank you - there are lots of pretty shades in the color crush range :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. Replies
    1. That's so lovely of you - thank you :o)! Xx

      Delete
  22. Amazing make-up! Really great:)

    http://theprintedsea.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your eyes here! I will do a smokey eye for daytime too, but I blend like crazy to soften it as much as possible. That pink lip color is so pretty too!
    xx Easy Outfits, by Pip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, you don't want it to be too dramatic :o). Xx

      Delete
  24. You look gorgeous! I love how you photographed your products. Beautiful!
    Lauren
    http://www.willsingformakeup.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren! That's so nice of you - thank you very much, it really means a lot :o). Xx

      Delete
  25. Hi Ana, thank you for visiting! That's very nice of you and hope to see you here again soon. Follow you now! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that look on you! The smokey eye is one of those things I haven't quite managed to perfect on myself but I just love them!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One day I might even brave the original look and do a really sooty, dark look :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. Replies
    1. That's very nice of you - thank you :o)! Xx

      Delete
  28. Love this look! That lip color looks gorgeous on you!

    sundays grace

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice post and beautiful makeup. I am a fan of smokey eyes ;)


    Makeup Demon blog
    Makeup Demon Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely of you - thank you very much! :o). Xx

      Delete
  30. The lipstick is a lovely shade, all the makeup looks so pretty on you :) xx
    http://insaneaboutmakeup.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that really means a lot :o). Xx

      Delete
  31. I didn't know that body shop has a bb cream !! x_x Thanks for the share

    http://jannatul12.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very welcome, I hope you find a shade that works for you :o)! Xx

      Delete
  32. Gorgeous! :) I love the idea of emphasising the eyes too!
    Saida xx

    http://saidacanephotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's so lovely of you :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!