Monday 16 December 2013

Manic.Monday: Essie Raisinnuts

December is just flying by - yesterday it was already the 3rd of advent, which means that again it was time to light candle no 3, eat some ginger bread and crack out another bottle of Glögg. Some of you may remember that I have mentioned Glögg before in a post, but if you didn't see that one I can tell you that it's a traditional Swedish hot winter drink, quite similar to mulled wine i.e. it's based on red wine and it's rich with invigorating and warm spices like orange, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and cognac. You usually serve Glögg with raisins and nuts, so I can't think of a more suitable nail polish for this Manic.Monday than Essie's Raisin Nuts (£7.99).

I know I recently did another post on an Essie nail polish (St. Lucia) that wasn't entirely positive, but since I then also mentioned that for me the more pigmented Essie shades are - the better the quality is, I wanted to balance my previous review by showing a good shade with lots of pigmentation... and Raisin Nuts is a really good one.
There's no denying that the formula still is quite thin, but it does feel a little bit more creamy when you apply it. The brush is also still the same, i.e. quite narrow and when I apply it I need about 4 streaks to get a good coverage. Now had that been in a lighter shade, I know from experience that the first coat would have been streaky, however the pigmentation makes all the difference and with Raisin Nuts I get a really nice and even finish. Raisin Nuts is a warm, sweet dark red shade that creates a lovely satin finish. For me it's not opaque enough when I just use one coat and since I really want to bring out the lovely depth of the color, I always apply two coats with this shade. The formula dries very quickly and evenly without any gloopyness and in the photos I've also followed up with a high shine top coat.

I love to wear Raisin Nuts and the sophisticated deep wine shade really reminds me of the color of Glögg and for me it's a great soft shade for autumn and winter that goes with most outfits. This particular shade from Essie lasts about 3 days on me before it starts to chip even if I'm wearing a good base coat and top coat, so for me long wear is still an issue - but not a big one so let's call it an issuette. It's not going to stop me from getting any Essie shades that I really like, however I have to be honest and say there are other brands that I prefer to use. If you have any tips on how to get Essie nail polishes to last longer, I'm all ears!

59 comments:

  1. I feel Essie is pretty hit and miss for me as well! Even some shades you think would be super pigmented and one coat come out streaky sometimes. This is a gorgeous color though! Nice dark rapsoberry
    x atelier zozo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million - the shade is really lovely! Xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much a great option to a classic Christmas red :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. Hi!))Are you already following me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. overall, I am always satisfied with essie naillacks. Nice color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely deep shade, It's one of my favourites from Essie :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. This is such a gorgeous shade! so Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I really like to wear it as a red option :o)! Xx

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Aah, thank you - it's a beautiful deep dark shade! Xx

      Delete
  8. Hello (: Really pretty blog, good to read :)
    Would you like to follow each other on GFC and facebook? Let me know if you follow, I'll follow back immediately (:
    Kisses,

    http://lightsforana.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful colour!! Nice for Christmas!

    XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous color perfect for now. Happy Monday doll.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, hope you had a great weekend :o)! Xx

      Delete
  11. This is such a beautiful colour! I also find that Essie polishes can be quite streaky and sometimes the brushes drag a little :/

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me having some trouble with some of the Essie polishes, I rarely hear any issues about long wear mentioned :/. Xx

      Delete
  12. Nice color!

    Federica
    http://www.thecutielicious.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. work carried on Christmas Eve Kisses

    http://fotofashionfeelings.blogspot.ro/

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fotofashionfeelings/544500558969009

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great color!
    I'm always looking for a good nail color to wear around this time of year!

    www.atgatsbys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might be something for you then :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. I love essie polish nails! Now I saw one in metallic shade! I'm getting crazy for that!

    New post:
    bonjourchiara.blogspot.com
    Facebook Page Bonjourchiara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have a lot of shades to choose from :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. This color is so pretty! It looks like one that would be flattering on everyone!

    sundays grace blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, it's a very sophisticated shade too :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. I love Essie, amazing shade!!!!
    Kisses hun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks like a gorgeous color! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderfully versatile and easy to wear with most outfits :O). Xx

      Delete
  19. Love this color! Perfect for this season too! :) xx

    www.ruzinscloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful color. I have found that Essie polishes can be hit or miss with the formula - some are great and some are terrible.

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's such a pretty shade, perfect for this time of year. I love Essie polish, use the Nails Inc A&E base coat and Sally Hansen Insta Dri as my top coat and find the ploish lasts well that way xx
    www.dolleduplondon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try that, see if it helps, thanks for the recommendation :o). Xx

      Delete
  22. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, for me it's great for winter :). Xx

      Delete
  23. Hello Katherine, thank you so much for visiting and for your lovely comment, hope to see you here again soon. Follow you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this shade of polish! This a great blog! :)
    http://josephinejanethoughts.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely of you - thank you very much, it means a lot :o)! Xx

      Delete
  25. Love the colour/shade. :)
    Great blog btw.
    -Ru
    Glitter And Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, that's very nice of you :o)! Xx

      Delete
  26. Ooh another fab colour. Seen so many new and exciting nail polish shades this year...just need more clothes to match our nail colours now :-)

    x Roch & Tash x
    www.next-route-style.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that's the best excuse to go shopping I've heard in a long time :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. Your Glogg sounds most inviting Charlotte! I haven't tried any Essie polishes yet but it's on my list of things to try. Love this colour though - very warming and as you say bet it goes with most outfits. If you happen upon a superb base and top coat let me know, mine notorious for chipping! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very warming and delicious drink for sure, perfect for Christmas and the deep color really reminds me of this shade. I usually use the Seche vite top coat and the Sally Hansen Growth Miracle as a base coat - they are both great, but they don't seem to do the trick on some Essie formulas.. :O). Xx

      Delete
  28. So pretty shade! I haven't tried any Essie polishes, because they are quite price in Belgium.

    Laura
    Pink Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely understand :o), I feel like that about some of the Nails Inc as well, even though I absolutely LOVE them :o). Xx

      Delete
  29. Very beautiful colors! I usually love Essie because they have a greater variety of colors than other brands. I agree with you; it does take a few coats to get a really pigmented color. Thanks for sharing!

    http://www.lavieenmay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!