Friday 14 March 2014

March empties

Can you believe it's time for empties again? What ever happens to the days I wonder, and I'm convinced that the bad economy and inflation these past few years even has impacted time - an hour is somehow shorter than it used to be. Again I have tried my hardest this month to finish up as many products as possible and in the end I'm quite pleased with the results - 8 products that can go in the bin, which equals the right to buy 8 new products, that's the rule isn't it?
Let's start with some skin care products. Ever since I finished my beloved Gatineau Floracil (£29.50), a strong contender for the world champion title of eye makeup removers, I've been using the L'Oréal Skin Perfection 3 in 1 Purifying Micellar Solution (£4.99), the well known dupe for the original micellar solution - Bioderma. It's a great, effective and gentle all-in-one product, removing both face and eye makeup without stinging your eyes, and it also acts as a toner. The only thing I seriously dislike about it is the packaging, or more specifically the fact that there is no effective dispenser at the top of the bottle - just a big hole. This means that if you drop the bottle, or you're not careful with closing the top, the solution goes everywhere. That should be easy enough to fix and hopefully L'Oréal will do something about it eventually. Even though I prefer to use micellar solutions from other brands as part of my morning routine, I still like to use the L'Oréal 3 in 1 solution as an eye makeup remover, and at such an affordable price it's super value for money.

On to the St. Grape Aqua Bliss Natural Face and Body Scrub (£12) which is an amazing luxurious bath scrub containing natural mineral sea salt, essential oils and vitamin e. The formula is light, fluffy and creamy and the salt grains are so fine that they start to melt immediately when you scoop it out of the jar. The scrub is so delicate and gentle on the skin, leaving it smooth and supple with a gorgeous and quite strong scent of delicate jasmine. You can use this both on your body and face, but since I'm cautious of using strongly perfumed products on my face I stick to using it as a body scrub. It's a fantastic indulgent product, perfect for a pampering evening and I will get another one as soon as I've finished some of my other body scrubs.
We've come to the section of hair products for this month starting with the Avon Naturals Apricot and Shea Leave-in Treatment (£2.50). It's a lovely light cream, almost of the same consistency as a conditioner, that you apply to towel dried hair and it makes your hair very silky and so much easier to detangle. But the best thing about it is the incredible scent of sun-kissed juicy apricots and luxurious shea butter that stays on your hair and if you apply it in the evening, you'll still smell it in the morning when you wake up. This is one of the few Avon hair products that really works on my hair, and the smell of  a creamy fresh apricot smoothie is just irresistible.

Of course we have a dry shampoo as well - the TRESemme Instant Refresh Radiance Dry Shampoo Translucent Formula (£5.25). It's a slightly revamped version of the original TRESemme dry shampoo that doesn't leave that white powdery residue on your hair that some dry shampoos can do which is great, and it has that lovely recognizable fresh TRESemme scent that lingers on your hair. It's a decent dry shampoo however personally I don't find it quite as effective at oil control as some of the others I've used from Batiste or Dove, and I can't say that I've noticed that it adds any radiance as it promises either. Since it is a bit more expensive than other brands, but it doesn't have the same effect on my hair I won't be repurchasing this.

If you've followed my posts on Operation Rapunzel, you'll know that I have been using the Lee Stafford Hair Growth Treatment (£7.99) faithfully since October last year to help my hair to grow. The treatment is a protein enriched masque that you use after shampoo but before conditioner, and it helps to nourish the scalp and follicles for healthy hair. It's a gorgeous creamy formula with a delicious nutty scent that reminds me of the Macadamia range, and it makes the hair feel extremely soft and nourished. After more than 3 months of use, my hair had grown almost 6 cms, and although it might not be down only to this lovely treatment, it's certainly helped to keep my hair sleek and glossy. I can't recommend this wonderful masque enough, and in fact I would say - buy two at the same time to make sure you don't run out.

When I first got the L'Oréal False Lash Flutter Mascara (£10.99) I had some mixed feelings about it, that you may remember from a separate review I did in November (see here). Although the formula starts off quite thin, it does add a wonderful length, and as the formula thickens it also adds quite a lot of volume to the lashes. Another plus point is the fabulous fanned butterfly wing effect on the lashes that the very scary looking brush creates and the mascara also wears great throughout the day. What I found most difficult to get used to is the brush - it's big, sturdy, heavy in the hand and the shape makes it difficult to reach the inner lashes and to get a nice even coverage of the lower lashes, at least until you get used to is and you find a way to use it that works for you. Despite my initial struggles with the brush I absolutely love the dramatic lash effect this mascara creates, and truth be told I have already bought another one, and can't wait to start using it again.
This month I've finished another fragrance, Flora by Gucci - Glamorous Magnolia EdT (£48.50) one of the amazing scents from Gucci's Floral Garden range. I'm a massive fan of the original Flora scent, but the Floral Garden range is far from your garden variety of perfumes and Glamorous Magnolia is a fabulous, fresh, soft and sensual modern scent. It blends delicate white flowers with lots of character like magnolia and freesia with warm peony, invigorating citrus fruits and warm, earthy musk and wood. It's such a cool, crisp and glamorous scent and it's perfect for warm, sweltering summer days. Glamorous Magnolia - you will be sorely missed... at least until I get bottle of you, and this time I'm going large!
Last but not least is a candle that I bought just before Christmas, and I know what you're thinking - what, that's months ago? But the reason for not showing it sooner is that it burns up to 170 hrs, so it's lasted me aaaages. I had never tried this brand before but the Village Candle in Mulled Cider (£17.25) smelt so delicious of warm, sweet fruity and slightly spicy cider that I just had to have it. It came with two wicks and burnt really well from side to side, deep into the glass jar, with next to nothing left of it. The Village Candles look and smell so similar to the Yankee Candles that you can easily mistake them for each other, although the Village Candles might be slightly lower priced. With 170 hrs burn time, these candles are excellent value for money and I would definitely try this brand again. If you have tried both Yankee and Village Candles I'd love to hear if you think there's a difference between them and which you prefer?

41 comments:

  1. Great empties post I am definitely with you if you have used eight products time to buy some more. I like the sound of the body scrub Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The consistency is like nothing I've ever tried before - light and fluffy and creamy, very indulgent :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. That hair treatment sounds great, I have wanted to buy that for a while, and 6cm of hair growth is a lot! Mine only grows about 1cm a year!!

    Joey x
    www.asecretshopaholic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) - try it and see if makes a difference :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. I want to invest in some 'hair food' to keep my locks healthy, it grows quickly but it's not the best at the ends!

    Tara xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my problem too, and I hate having to trim it every now and then... :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. Avon leave-in treatment sound great! I might pick it up :) xo's

    Laura
    Pink Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely silky product, I hope you like it :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. I also use the Loreal Skin Perfection solution! I've always thought that as well about the packaging and the poor dispensary system. Especially since I DID actually drop it and lost a good 1/4 of it to my floor :( haha x

    http://iisforiz.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sooo easily done, at least it's not made of glass... but I really hope the fix it :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. I love candles!! ill try that one! last so long!!

    xx

    www.un-likely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, 170 hrs is pretty good :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. I'm buying products although I haven't emptied anything at all haha. I need to try that mascara from L'oreal and the candle. Happy Friday Charlotte!!

    xx Mira

    www.glamdevils.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mascara is wonderful - have a fab weekend :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. I have so many products on my shelves that I have hardly any empties ever. It's really annoying! I really want to try all these products but i have banned myself from buying more tell I finish some!

    Relationships.College.Love

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like that you pointed out the distinct tresemme scent cause i do like that fresh scent! And this rarely happens because i have sensitive nose :P wish we had the dove dry shampoo thought or any dry shampoo for that matter. its rare to find one here in my country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's a shame - I can't be without them :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. I just bought the L'Oréal 3-in-1 Micellar Solution and I've already fallen in love with it. I agree about the packaging though, it's a bit of a drawback!

    Popping Pout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it's affordable and effective :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. Wow congratulations on finishing all these products! I love the TRESemme Instant Refresh Radiance Dry Shampoo Translucent Formula too :)
    emmasbeginning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always wondered whether the Lee Stafford products actually worked but it obviously does xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely does and I'm very curious about trying others from the range :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. I love the whole Lee Stafford range, everything smells amazing and makes my hair look and feel so healthy and shiny xx

    Gemma // Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really good to know - perhaps a shampoo and conditioner next then :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. I Love avon naturals! .. Great stuff..
    Im follow you..
    Plase visit my blog :) http://www.ylieby.blogspot.mx/

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are really selling the Lee Stafford treatment to me! My hair already grows pretty quickly, but I want it a bit longer at the minute and am feeling impatient! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel, I want it long and I want it NOW :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. Lovely post :) I really want to try a few of those products!! X

    candyflosstrees.blogspot.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's really nice to hear - if you do, let me know what you think of them :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. I'm currently using the Avon leave-in treatment and I'm enjoying it so I plan to post a review of it alongside the mango & ginger 2-in-1 shampoo & conditioner. I'd love to try the St. Grape body scrub, it sounds lovely! xxx
    The Jolly Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avon certainly has some wonderful scent combinations :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. Great post! Flora is such a lovely scent! I always pick it up for a sniff in Sephora, but have not yet caved on buying it yet. (too many to finish first!)

    xo Brianna | Glazed Over

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love that Gucci`s scent it`s awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad the Lee Stafford mask worked for you, I may try it because I'm trying to grow my hair too. Mane N Tail shampoo is supposed to be good for hair growth too :) x
    http://lipstickandlightening.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of that so thanks for the recommendation :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. I really love the L'Oreal butterfly mascara, I agree it does get better as it dries a bit.

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing isn't it, the effect is wonderful :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!