Sunday 30 March 2014

The Body Shop Rainforest Volumising Shampoo & Conditioner

As part of Operation Rapunzel, I have tested a lot of products the past 6 months to help my hair grow, to improve the quality and overall I am very happy with the results and along the journey I have discovered products that now have an honorable place among my staple items e.g. the Lee Stafford Hair Growth Treatment. So what's next in Operation Rapunzel? Well, while I may have a lot of hair, I would have also like to have that amazing lift and body that lasts all day long, so let the search for the perfect volume creating products begin! The first volumising products I've tried are from one of my favorites stores - The Body Shop. I've been a big fan of The Body Shop for as long as I can remember, and what initially attracted me to the brand many moons ago was their campaign Against Animal Testing, which is one of their core values that I deeply admire. Since then I've learned more about the other values: Support Community Fair Trade, Activate Self Esteem, Defend Human Rights and Protect The Planet, which all underpin the ethos Beauty With Heart: "Beauty is much more than a pretty face. It's about feeling good and doing good too". It's a wonderful mission statement which I completely agree with, and also think it's important to be reminded of, especially in the world of beauty blogs.
Let's look at the products, starting with the The Body Shop Rainforest Volumising Shampoo (£4.50) which is specially developed for fine hair, and the shampoo is supposed to boost the volume, making the hair looking shiny with lots of body. Neither the shampoo nor the conditioner contain any silicones, sulphates, parabens or colourants and it has a gorgeous fruity strawberry smell. However, I thought it was quite difficult to work up a good lather, which I quite like when I wash my hair which is also why I ended up using perhaps a bit more shampoo than I would normally use, and if like me you like a good bit of foam another way of doing it of course it to double wash. The shampoo gave a really good deep cleanse, but I felt that it was a bit harsh on my hair and it did feel just a tiny bit stripped of moisture afterwards so I loaded up on the The Body Shop Rainforest Volumising Conditioner (£4.50) and left it in for quite a while before rinsing. The conditioner is of quite a light consistency but it still has creaminess to it, but since I'm used to quite rich and heavy conditioners again I used a lot more of the conditioner than I usually would have done. This scent is also nice, although it's sharper than the shampoo and more on the herbal side. The conditioner did make my hair feel quite soft, although not nearly as restored and nourished as I would have liked, so I will only use these two products together every now and then, and I will probably replace the conditioner with a very hydrating masque. I usually let my hair towel dry before I style to minimise the strain on it, but after I'd used my BaByliss Pro Perfect Curl my hair felt light, volumised and with a nice light bounce to it, and I imagine that had I also used a blow dryer, the effect might have been even more noticeable.  
All in all, I've got mixed feelings about the Rainforest Volume range; the shampoo gives a superb cleanse and adds volume, although it doesn't lather enough and worse - it a bit harsh on my hair, and unfortunately the conditioner isn't rich or nourishing enough for me to be a great match with the shampoo. It seems like the hunt for a great volumising shampoo and conditioner continues, so which products would you recommend that I try to get lots of volume?

Beauty with Heart http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/content/beauty-with-heart-infographic.aspx

55 comments:

  1. Love your review! I also like The Body Shop. I think they are a great brand, with principles. I don't use conditiones because I have oily hair. I prefer masques.

    Jasmine xx
    For a Real Woman
    So easy Spanish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love so many of their products so it's a shame this didn't work out for me :o) - oh well, there's always the banana shampoo and conditioner! Xx

      Delete
  2. Shame you weren't overly impressed, i love their detangler from the same range (: xx

    A Little Treat | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't given up yet - I'm sure there are other great volumising products just waiting to be discovered :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to try Body shop products. I think I'd start with this :)

    Relationships.College.Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have an amazing range of products and their makeup is great too :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. I have never tried body shop's products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh - at some point you should try a body butter and one of the amazing lipsticks :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. Sounds good! I'll try it!

    The Fashion Newbie & Co.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And The Body Shop always have excellent offers on too :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. Great review! I love the brand values too. I've been searching for shampoo & conditioner, may need to take a look at these!

    Yasmeen x
    http://themirroraffects.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Yasmeen - that's so lovely of you :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. I have not tried these for myself, I used to love the Banana conditioner/shampoo back in the day, not sure if it is still available?
    www.naomitalksbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES IT IS!!!! It's another favorite of mine - they both smell incredible and make your hair so soft and silky :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. A lovely honest review. I too am hunting for the perfect shampoo. I love the body shop products but I love a good foamer so might give these a miss.
    Clare
    Xoxo

    www.onestopsavvy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, somehow it's not quite the same for me when there's hardly any lather :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. I have the moisturising one from the same range and it is NOT moisturising at all. Although it is great for once a week usage to remove the product buildup. Conditioner in this rage is not any good as well...

    xx
    Blue Velvet Addict

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How strange that the conditioners seem to miss the mark in the Rainforest range... the best conditioner from The Body Shop I have tried is the banana one... :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. Nice to see an honest review. I was sold on the shampoo until you mentioned that it doesn't foam - what a let down! Pity they don't do what they say on the bottle.. Great review though :)

    Ellie xx | http://theleobeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ellie... I had high hopes for the product but unfortunately it's not the magic one for me :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. Love body shop products and i've tried this shampoo!
    Alessia

    THECHILICOOL

    FACEBOOK

    Kiss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I don't have to wonder if it's great - now I know that unfortunately that it's not the one for me, but if you don't mind the lack of lather and perhaps have slightly oily hair, it might work better :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. I love the Body Shop but havent tried any of their hair products yet as they never get the best reviews. It must be difficult to create hair products without sulfates and things, because you just dont get a decent amount of lather without them! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Stacey - I agree with you and although I know that it's a common issue with these "clean" products, my hair just doesn't feel clean if I haven't had a really amount of foam, enough to make crazy hair shapes preferably! :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. Great review as always Charlotte. I have started working as a TBSAH Consultant so it is good to hear some reviews!

    Rachael x
    All The Little Things x | Rachael McClenaghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachael - that's fantastic news, congratulations! Hope you get decent discounts... ;o) Xx

      Delete
  14. wow! wanna try them soon!!
    http://fetish-tokyo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are luckier with them than I was :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. Great review! It's been a while since I've used any hair care from The Body Shop!
    I really like Lush's Seanik, it's a solid shampoo bar but it gives me a lot of volume :)
    BeyondBlush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great recommendation, thank you so much for that :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. Great review Charlotte! A pity that this didn't work out for you. I am also a fan of the Body Shop products...I love their body butters.

    Keisha xo
    www.chrysalisgals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they're wonderful and so many gorgeous scents to choose between :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. I think this was the one I tried a couple of years ago and I had the same feelings. My hair still felt really knotty after conditioning! Unfortunately, I haven't got any recommendations at the moment!

    Tara xox
    www.headlinebeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm "glad" it's not just me not completely loving it... :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. And the makeup range just keeps getting better and better :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. I love the Body Shop Lotions/Body Butters, etc. I had no idea they did shampoo and conditioners actually, but I'm so glad you reviewed this. I'm very fussy with my hair, so I'll know to maybe not try this stuff out..

    I would be grateful if you would check out my blog. I'm a newbie and would love a professional like you to have a look ^_^ alannaiona.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The body butters are lovely, I'm planning on getting satsuma soon - it's such a fresh scent. Ha ha - flattery will get you far - hardly a professional, but thank you so so much for the lovely comment :o). Xx

      Delete
  20. I like you need a thick rich conditioner I don't really like thin products they don't feel like they work. I also like to mix up my shampoos every few months. Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's almost like your hair needs a new boost from another product :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. Hmmm...I thought Aveda's Invarti and Scalp Benefits conditioners were very moisturizing; the effectiveness reminds me of those conditioning packets that come with boxes of hair dyes. Also, if you can find Enjoy haircare brand in your area, their conditioners are definitely worth a try! Chic and Alluring Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great recommendation, thank you very much for that :o). Xx

      Delete
  22. The banana shampoo and conditioner are so lovely and rich on the hair, for me that's the best hair care from The Body Shop at the moment :o). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have both very fine and very thin hair as well, but actually have never tried these! I am a big fan of the Pantène volume shampoo and conditioner, they're amazing!

    xx Anine
    redlipsandbeautybits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll put those on the list of things to try :o). Xx

      Delete
  24. I use the moisture version of these and love them but you're right, they don't lather much due to being sulphate-free so I end up using more than I should. The leave in conditioner is fantastic!

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara - I'll try that to add some nourishment back :o). Xx

      Delete
  25. I have oily hair and The Body Shop shampoos never seem to work for me. I always end up passing them onto my boyfriend to use up!

    Joey xx
    www.asecretshopaholic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least someone is enjoying them :o). Xx

      Delete
  26. I hasn't used The Body Shop shampoo in aaages! The rainforest one sound really appealing as you imagine tropical waterfall climate surrounded by nature, well i do anyway.

    http://www.annanuttall.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does - that's a pretty picture :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. I love herbal-smelling shampoos, but I suppose if it's harsh it would probably be a skip for me too. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great, informative review as always, Charlotte. :) I'll probably give these a miss, which is a shame because the strawberry scent sounds lovely! xxx
    The Jolly Fashionista

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!