Tuesday 18 March 2014

On trial: Maybelline's Illegal length mascara

If there's one makeup product that I rely on, it's mascara. While I'm lucky enough to have fairly long lashes they are as blonde as blonde can be and without color on them I'm not really to my advantage. So I've tried an awful lot of different mascaras, and there's few of them that completely sweep me off my feet with their increasingly strange looking mascara brushes, but in every mascaras defense I am VERY fussy, because I expect it all in one product: length + volume and if I can get flared, fanned out lashes with it too, its definitely a plus. By now I have a list of mascaras that I know give me all of those things, but still I keep trying new ones, because who knows - there might be an even better one out there. The most recent mascara to catch my eye is Maybelline's Illegal Length Fibre Extensions Mascara (£8.99) which promises to break every lash length law with its fibre formula. It comes in two varieties - black and waterproof black, and I decided to try the black one, but does it actually work, or have I fallen victim of a marketing crime? Let's put it on trial and see what the evidence tells us.
Exhibit A: The mascara comes in a stylish and sleek packaging which always helps to make a good and credible first impression when you're on trial and in this case it's also very functional and handy since it doesn't take too much space in your makeup bag.

Exhibit B: It's a well known inconvenience that a lot of mascaras start of being very wet, and don't really come into their own until a few weeks later when they've dried up. This is not the case with this one, instead it already from the start has a good consistency which makes it easy to get just the right amount of product on the brush, without smudging or flaking. I really like the consistency, however since I'm of a suspicious mind when it comes to mascaras, it does make me wonder if the mascara will be hopelessly dry to use after another months use or so. Time will tell, and innocent until proven guilty.

Exhibit C: The formula contains fibers that are up to 4 mm long that are supposed to extend the lashes as you apply a few coats of the mascara, and there's also a sealing element that makes sure that the fibres stick to the lashes. To help with the placing of the fibres on each lash, the long and narrow brush has 6 contact points with each lash. It's quite a stiff wand and brush, which is good for helping to shape the lashes and to comb them through to avoid spider legs. Maybelline claims that only a few strokes are necessary to build the length and that you shouldn't let the coats dry in between so that the fibres can latch on to each other. In theory this should add up to 4 mm's length on the lashes, which is quite a claim. The brush is easy to work with, it reaches all the lashes without any smudging, it does a really good job at quickly adding an even coat of color to the lashes, and it separates the lashes beautifully. Unfortunately the mascara doesn't add any dramatic increase in lash length for me and I have other mascara that don't claim the same but that give a much more noticeable lash extending effect.
From left to right:
Maybelline Illegal Length Mascara
Seventeen Falsifeye Mascara

Exhibit D: Even though I didn't go for the waterproof version of the mascara, it wears very well throughout the day and it even resists a good work out without any smudging or fading. This made me think that it would be very difficult to remove since I have tried fibre mascaras before where I've had that issue, but fortunately you can use any eye makeup remover to take Illegal Length off without any tugging and without being heavy handed.

Time for summary: Illegal Length is a nice and long lasting mascara that's easy to work with to shape your and I like to use it for a no makeup look, because of the lovely natural effect, however when it comes to adding illegal length I find it guilty of not delivering. I would have loved to be a lash criminal with long dramatic lashes and I feel a bit robbed of the 4mm extra length that it promises. If you want criminally long lashes, then you might be better off with either Maybelline's Volum' Express Falsies (£7.99) and with that I rest my case - mascara court is adjourned!

55 comments:

  1. Denna vill jag verkligen testa :) Är en riktig mascara-nörd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Den är jättebra för naturliga fransar :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. This look like a good mascara for a more natural look Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I just wish I noticed the extra 4 mm lash length :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. Haha, I love this fun review! Shame it didn't come up with the goods.

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Tara, it's a nice mascara I just didn't get the length I was hoping for :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. I love how looks that mascara!
    Kiss, Nati
    http://iampoliticallycorrect.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good for an everyday product but such a pity it didn't deliver on the lengthening claims!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emma, I completely agree - it would have been fabulous with 4 mm extra lash length though :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. I have this mascara and I really like it - although I didn't even realise it had fibres on to extend your lashes! It definitely isn't a noticeable difference in length but it does give a nice fluttery effect x

    amuchprettierpuzzle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also really like how it combs through the lashes :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. Amazing..........post......great choices... as always..:-)
    keep in touch...much kisses...
    http://styleinthessbiky.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say this, the way that you wrote this post was fantastic. I really enjoyed reading it this way! I am not a fan of mascara (please, no, don't kill me :P) infact I have never owned or tried a mascara, so I can't really comment on what I like/dislike...
    But I enjoyed reading this post a lot!

    Relationships.College.Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet of you, thank you very much :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. Hi Charlotte, whatever happen to you coming to the London Beauty Blogger meetup? I was looking forward meeting you. I really need to buy some new Mascara.
    http://www.annanuttall.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anna, I had another thing on at exactly the same day that I had to prioritise. I was really looking forward to it though and will definitely try and make the next one :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. Sometimes I don't like waterproof mascara because it is so difficult to get off, I like to be gentle to my eyelashes at times.
    Thanks for sharing
    xx, Jodi
    http;//highheelsandtutus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jodi, I'm the same so I rarely go for waterproof mascaras :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. This sounds like the perfect mascara for me. I also have blond long lashes and am always looking for a mascara that gives volume. I think this will make it into my basket soon!!

    http://allaboutevesbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great for a natural look, and let me know what you think of it :o) Xx

      Delete
  12. I need to try this I've been struggling to find a decent mascara that works for ages!! xxx

    www.stylapetite.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, maybe I should just stick to what I know works - but where's the fun in that ;o). Xx

      Delete
  13. I used to love this mascara, it was such a favorite. I am a fan of the Rocket by Maybelline but it's quite different. Thanks for the great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely comment :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. It's definitely worth trying out :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. I think that most non waterproof mascara stay pretty well all day , this one sounds really interesting !! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's easier to remove as well, so for me personally I rarely go for waterproof :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. haha, I love the title of this post! Very creative! Thanks so much for sharing. If they have a waterproof version, I might give this a try. I noticed my lashes curl better with waterproof mascara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, I've never really noticed a difference, but perhaps I should try that and see... :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. I want to try this mascara! Last 5 times I've bought myself a mascara, all of them were bad. :(



    http://juulja.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no... I hate mascara disappointments. I've been quite unlucky too recently but this one is good for a natural look,, even though the lash length didn't meet my expectations :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. I love most of Maybelline mascaras, my favourite being the falsies x

    daisy-drops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my Maybelline favorite as well - it just makes my lashes long, volumised and flared - PERFECT :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. I don't use Maybelline products but I do like the packaging of this mascara. X

    Mademoiselle-Lala.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice and sleek and not as plasticky as most :o). Xx

      Delete
  20. That looks nice!

    http://shareasecretmag.com/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Replies
    1. :o), that's so lovely of you - thank you! Xx

      Delete
  22. I have this and I don't love it. I think Maybelline has much better mascaras on the market such as the Mega Volum' and Falsies. Great review! xx Rena Kiss and Make Up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, it's not Maybelline's finest for me either. Xx

      Delete
  23. Great honest review, thanks for sharing ! I will try the other mascara you mentioned as I like my mascara to give a lot of drama effect to my lashes :) Kisses

    Fashion and Cookies
    Facebook / G+ / Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, and still it's difficult to find mascaras that do it all :o). Xx

      Delete
  24. I have such short baby lashes. I bet this would do wonders for my lashes. Thanks for sharing :)
    Jessica
    the way to my Hart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do try it, let me know if you manage to get the extra 4 mm lash length :o). xx

      Delete
  25. I had wondered want this was like as I love maybelline mascaras the rocket is one of my favourites.

    www.mybeautysleuth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't get any volume with this mascara at all, but you might be luckier when it comes to length... :o). Xx

      Delete
  26. Replies
    1. I had no idea... I know it's not easy get all brands in every country, but you haven't missed out much on this product :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. That's so sweet of you - thank you very much, that means a lot to hear :o). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice review!
    Add me on G+, I will def add you back <3
    yourclosetdiva.blogspot.in
    Hugs & Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Excellent review!!

    http://www.cindyslittleblackbook.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am so picking with my mascaras and want them to both volumize and lengthen. Good to know to stay clear of this one.

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I - why do we have to choose?! :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!