Thursday 10 October 2013

Starstudded - Constellation eyeshadow palette by Dior

I recently went a little shopping crazy at the duty free, and came home with some wonderful things that I've been trying out since then. One of the items that I was most excited about wearing was the Dior 5 Couleurs Mystic Metallics Palette. When Dior launched the metallic collection I wasn't quite sure which of the two palettes to go for to be honest - but since I'm really trying this year to wear more seasonal shades e.g. plums, berries and richer colors, I decided on the Constellation palette which contains five gorgeous eyeshadows in charming, delicate purple and silver shades with a metallic finish that are embossed with a pretty star pattern.

As with all Dior products they are such a treat to get and everything about them says: style. The packaging is glossy, shiny and sleek, and of course also has a small mirror - essential for on the go touch ups. What I didn't realise was that this also comes with a pretty velvet pouch with the CD initials to keep the palette in, protecting it from scratches - what a great little surprise!

As you can see in the photos, the shades are all very subtle with varying amount of shimmer to them and you could create quite a few different looks depending on how you mix them:

Top left - a lovely soft ecru with a subtle wearable shimmer to it which creates a nice satin finish. I've used this almost every day as a base shadow combining it with one or two of the other shades.
Top right - a pale straw gold shade with a with faint green undertone and a fairly heavy shimmer to it. For me personally it's a bit too shimmery for day wear, but I've used it a lot as a base in the evening. 
Middle - a very pale blush color with a slight pink or even purple sheen to it. I've used this both as a highlighter or as a base shadow, but out of the five shades this is probably the one I've used the least. 
Bottom left - a vibrant plum purple with gorgeous luster, and out of all the shades it's definitely the one with most shimmer. I would even say that it's more sparkly than metallic. Perfect for evening wear.
Bottom right - a faded purple with brown undertones that makes me think of a paler version of redwood. Works great both for day and evening wear.

The texture of the eye shadows is very fine and light and they give a nice velvety, smooth finish. I haven't had any fall outs from even the really glimmery ones and they settle well on the eyelid. The pigmentation is OK, not exceptional but not rubbish either but then again the metallic shades could impact the pay off. On the other hand, since the texture is so smooth and easy to work with, you can easily keep building until you get the intensity you're looking for.
From left to right:
Top left
Top right
Middle
Bottom left
Bottom right

For me the biggest let down is that it's these are not very long lasting. Fair enough, I have oily eye lids and use both a primer, powder and setting spray to get my make up to last longer, but on me I start noticing that the color has faded, and even creased a little already after a few hrs. This could of course again be since these are metallic and fairly sheer and as such fade quicker. I don't really mind too much about having to touch up my make up throughout the day because at least that way I might actually hit the pan for once with a palette, but you can't be blamed for expecting a bit more from a Dior product.

To sum it up - it's a gorgeous palette with colors that are versatile and lovely to apply. I have been wearing this almost every day since I got it, and my favourite combination is using the ecru as a base, and then either the vibrant plum or the redwood for definition. I just wish that the shades stayed looking as lovely as when you've just applied them a little bit longer.

69 comments:

  1. This looks lovely, I've had my eye on the brown/green version since it came out! Totally agree with you on longevity of Dior eyeshadows though, and the ones I have aren't even metallic! xx

    www.peonyandpeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame isn't it, when they are so pretty when you've just done your makeup - oh well I guess I'll just need to compromise in this case since I really REALLY like it :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. Oh I love the look of this.

    Kate | A British Sparkle x

    (not sure if your interested or not but I've got a lovely giveaway including Khroma (Kardashian beauty make-up) joystick, nail polish and lashes, models own top coat and birchbox goodies.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Kate - thank you so much for the recommendation, I'll check it out straight away :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. The colors are so pretty and the packaging is luxe! Pigmentation is not that great though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's for sure a let down with the product, particularly since it's not exactly a budget buy :O). Xx

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad I now know they don't last great. Thanks Charlotte. Great post, good and honest.

    Rachael x
    All The Little Things x | Rachael McClenaghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rachael! Thanks a million! Since I still really like the colors I guess I'll just have to keep piling it on throughout the day LOL. Xx

      Delete
  5. It looks so cute with the little stars!
    xoxo
    http://dailyfashiondream.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - at the start I almost didn't want to ruin the pattern, but hey a girl's got to do what a girl's go to do :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. This palette looks gorgeous with lovely shades!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really lovely and delicate, love them :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. How pretty is this!! Shame they don't last too long though :( x

    Claire | AgentSmyth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'll just have to make sure it's in the handbag :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. Lovely packaging and palette design. Those shades are gorgeous! x
    The Jolly Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too - it's so sleek and stylish :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, the shades are stunning!! I love the pattern on the pans too, such a gorgeous palette xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has been on my list for a while, I want this and the green version!! Pity it's not that long lasting but the colours looks beautiful!

    www.makeupmonster.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so pretty and the combinations are really lovely - I think I'll just live with the fact that they don't last very long :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. I loved reading your review because so many gush about Dior products. It's nice to read a competely honest review. For me to spend that much I expect a product to be amazeballs. Sorry, it was a bit of a let down but Thank you for this review, I truly appreciate it. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shalunya - that's so nice of you thank you I really appreciate it! I'm always honest in my reviews and I think it's important to see both the good and the bad :O). Xx

      Delete
  12. Hi! I'm glad you found your way to my blog, now I found yours too. ;-)
    A great review of this palette. I love the shades in it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hej Ann-Sofie! When I saw a Swedish blog I was so happy since I actually am Swedish :o). Thank you so much for following! I do like the palette despite the issue with wear, it's just too pretty not to :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. Great review Charlotte, the colors look fantastic, especially the bottom right, I think I would use it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's really nice of you! Hope you'll visit again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. So sad to hear they don't last considering the price of them! They look very pretty so it really is a shame.
    But love the shimmer in them!! Like stars :)

    Sofia X

    sofiaadot.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Sofia, yes it's not what I expected, but there you go, not even Dior is perfect :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. Nice one. Will you like to follow each other on GFC? Let me know
    Love
    Fashion Talks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy, I'm following you on GFC and Bloglovin'. Xx

      Delete
  16. I'm jealous! I really need to buy a Dior eyeshadow pallet.
    The pigmentation is always great!
    Maybe this time I'll splurge.
    Great review!
    xo Birgit
    www.beyondjeansandt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. O my, this is so pretty! The shades look even better swatched than they do in the pan.

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, they do actually :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, all the combinations look amazing :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. The shades looks so pretty swatched! I liked your honest review of this palette.

    allthingsglitterandbeauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's really nice of you - I think it's important to be honest, it doesn't mean the product is totally rubbish, just that not everything was great. Xx

      Delete
  20. This looks like a great eye shadow for the autumn xD I really love the unique design of the palette and the pretty plum or purple shades! One of my favourite eye shadows xD Thanks for sharing!!

    <3 Celly
    ❤ TheSnowFlowerrr ❤ Beauty and Makeup Blog ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it really is pretty in all ways both the packaging and the content :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. They are beauties, especially the gold, but such a pity you don't find them to last xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, it wasn't what I expected for sure, but they are too pretty not to be used, so I'll just grin and bear it :O). Xx

      Delete
  22. That pallete is so beautiful! Shame the colours aren't very long wearing, esp for that price! xx
    www.dolleduplondon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I had expected more really, but thinking back at other Dior palettes I've had I had the same issue although at the time I didn't do primers so I thought that was the reason... Xx

      Delete
  23. can't believe they don't last that long on :o
    you'd definitely expect the longevity of the product to be amazing, wouldn't you?
    gorgeous palette though babe!
    chanelle jade xx

    www.chanellejade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting! Completely, but it's so pretty I'll just have to let that slide for now :o). Xx

      Delete
  24. That look gorgeous, great post :) I gave u a mention on my blog today xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Zoe - I can't believe it, thank you so so much!!! That's never happened before - it's so nice and sweet of you! What an amazing surprise - THANK YOU! Xx

      Delete
  25. The colors're so wonderful! I want it ;)
    Kisses my sweet fashionista.
    The diary of a fashion apprentice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret - they are very pretty and gorgeous to work with! Xx

      Delete
  26. That palette looks so pretty! I love Diors packaging.
    Tania x
    Make-up-maggie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very stylish and I love the little velvet pouch, talk about easily pleased LOL Xx

      Delete
  27. Again with another beautiful blog post! The colours are SO wearable and beautiful and again, your photography is incredible! <3 good job lovely!

    My Current Giveaway: RiRi Hearts Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely of you, thank you very much! Xx

      Delete
  28. omigosh the eyeshadows in the palette!!! im' glad you picked up this version and not the green one. apparently the quality on the green one was really so-so.
    jenn


    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they've probably both have issues with the long wear. I thought they were both very pretty, but I wanted to do something a bit different for me, so silver and purple it is now :O). Xx

      Delete
  29. I don't curl my eyelashes either! haha I find it fisily and somehow it doesn't do anything. I've tried lots of different eyelash curlers, all with minimum effect :'( maybe it's the way i'm doing it? hummm

    CharlotteHavs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we've got better things to spend our energy on, like choosing the nail polish of the day LOL. Xx

      Delete
  30. Wow I've never really checked out Dior eyeshadow before, great review! I'm not bold enough yet to wear metallic eyeshadow, I prefer to stick to nudes and neutrals. This is such a lovely palette though, I love the plum purples!

    Love R xx
    (500) Days of Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Runzhi and thank you for visiting! I know what you mean it's not always easy to break out of what you're comfortable with. Hope you'll visit here again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  31. I have to have this palette!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Caroline, loved the latest edition of the newsletter! It certainly is very pretty, we just need to overlook the lack of longevity :o). Have a great weekend! Xx

      Delete
  32. This palette looks gorgeous!!!

    Kimberley x

    www.kimberleysbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Kimberley - thank you so much for visiting! It really is stunning and even though the wear isn't ideal, I'll go with the flow! Hope you'll visit again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  33. I am an absolute sucker for Dior products and this one looks absolutely stunning! I have nominated you for the Versatlie Blogger Award!

    www.makingmeblushblog.wordpress.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you that's very nice of you. It will probably be a little while before I do the TAG, so please be patient - I haven't forgotten. Xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much that's really nice of you. I have quite a lot of TAGs I need to do so it may be a while before you see my response, I haven't forgotten though, so please be patient with me :o). Xx

      Delete
  34. I only have one palette from Dior and I absolutely love it! The star design in this one is beautiful :)

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so pretty I barely wanted to ruin it with my brushes, but it's got to be done :O)! Xx

      Delete
  35. The packaging is just gorgeous!
    http://beautylovesbooks.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!