Friday 18 October 2013

October empties

I don't think anyone will be surprised when I say that I like to shop - particularly beauty products. To get some brand new interesting things you've never tried before is so exciting. But having your bathroom cabinet full of lovely stuff that's not used is rather pointless, so I'm trying to be really good and to finish up products that are half full before I move on to my brand new toys. I've even been so organised that I've put all the stuff that needs to be used up at the front of the cabinet, and made a little list for me to track my progress. Talk about taking your beauty seriously!

The first empty of October is a dry shampoo. As most of you will know by now, I think dry shampoo is a girls' second best friend, and absolutely perfect for a quick on the go freshen up of your hair. I am a big user of the Batiste products and the Dry Shampoo XXL Volume not only refreshes and gives texture it also give a lot of volume, which for me is perfect e.g. after a gym session or if you're going out somewhere straight after work. Like all of the Batiste products it comes with a smell which is distinct for this particular bottle - it smells intensely of red berries, sweet floral and has almost a salty liquorice after smell. I have to say though that for me it is a little bit too strongly perfumed, and not one of my favourites which is a shame since I like the volumising effect, but I probably won't repurchase because of the artificial scent. 

Next product is the Urban Decay De-Slick Oil Control Makeup Setting Spray which is supposed to help your make up set and to stay on for longer by regulating the temperature of the skin, keeping it looking lovely and matte, without having to do any touch ups. I had never used this before and it took a little bit of getting used to, and to figure out how get it to work for me. I didn't think that it came with very good instructions, so I tried a couple of different approaches until I found what seemed to work best. I actually spray it on both after having put on my foundation, but before using powder and also when I've finished doing all my makeup. The spray function is quite good and gives a fine mist, and I use about 3-4 spritzes for every application. It definitely helps to keep your make up in place, however on me it doesn't work nearly as long as it claims (up to 16 hrs), in reality it's more like 5-6 hrs before I need to fix any shine. It's a good product and but before I repurchase it, I'd first like to try the All Nighter version to see how that measures up. 
I have also finished my KIKO Skin trainer. You may remember that I did a trial, during which I would only use this particular serum to see if it would live up to the miraculous results that it promised within 30 days. After the 30 days I did notice that the skin felt very firm and taut, which is exactly what was promised, but for me the sense of hydration wasn't as good as I would like it to be. It's a good, affordable serum that does firm your skin, but if you have tendencies towards dry or dehydrated skin, I would definitely recommend that you use intense hydration masks and a rich moisturiser to boost moisture levels. I do have other serums that I'm using at the moment and I'm not sure I would repurchase this, simply because of the tightness that I started to experience at the end of the 30 days. If KIKO releases a new version of the Skin Trainer to up moisture, I would definitely try it out.

It was a sad, sad day when I finished my Jo Malone Redcurrant & Cream Cologne. This was part of the limited edition collection called Sugar & Spice which was released earlier this Spring. It was a gorgeous collection with cake and dessert inspired fragrances and this was my favourite out of the five scents. To me it captures British summer perfectly with it's mix of tangy piquant red currants, juicy sun kissed strawberries, sweet crushed raspberries, lots of light, fluffy whipped cream and a subtle touch of warm musk that really rounds the scent off, preventing the berries from completely taking over. It was a delicious scent and even though I have enjoyed wearing it, I doubt that I will get it again since it's now only available on eBay at extortionate prices. Redcurrant & Cream, I will miss you!

Let's move from indulgent, unique fragrances to a complete makeup steal on the high street - the MUA Bronzer in Shade 01. MUA offers a number of products for £1, which is almost embarrassingly cheap, but despite the low cost the bronzer is actually a great product. It's one of my favourite bronzing products because not only does it give a lovely natural, golden shade with a very subtle shimmer, it's also light and pleasant to wear. The bronzer lasts for a good chunk of the day and works really well for scultping too. In fact, I like this so much that I feel like throwing in another £ coin every time I buy it, it almost seems rude for it to be that cheap. If you only wear bronzer occasionally and you don't want to go for the more costly options, I highly recommend the MUA bronzer.

The last product among the October empties is the Clarins Water Comfort One-Step Cleanser with Peach. It's very similar to a micellar water, i.e. it will remove eye make up and cleanse your face at the same time. I will never use only cleansing waters of this type (not even Bioderma) since I feel that I need, and enjoy a thorough cleanse of my face every evening, but it's a wonderful and gentle option as part of my morning routine, to get rid of any impurities from over night. What I particularly like with this Clarins product is the refreshing sunny scent of peach that lingers on my skin, setting me up nicely for the day and how soft it makes my skin feel. I do have a few other cleansing waters that I need to use up, but I will definitely be getting this again at some point soon.

I feel quite pleased that I have managed to take off six items from the list of products to finish up this month. It took a lot of focus and determination, let me tell you. Besides, you have to use it all up to make space for all the stuff that's on my other list - the one of things to get!

55 comments:

  1. I am trying to be good at the moment too, and I feel a big sense of achievement when I have finished something! That must have been a sad moment when you sprayed your last of the Jo Malone Fragrance!

    www.makingmeblushblog.wordpress.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :O) - I'm the same. Yes that's always the danger with really liking limited edition fragrances :o/. Xx

      Delete
  2. The Clarins Peach water smells sooo good! I had a sample..now going to get full product..
    :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it, it feels amazing on the skin! Let me know what you think about it :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. I love empties posts! It is so fun to see what products people have completely finished!! L xxx

    maquillagemagic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm glad you like it - there's only so much you can mix up this particular concept :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. Amazing reviews! So detailed but not OTT. :) Great post! X

    Mademoiselle-Lala.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really lovely of you - put a big smile on my face, THANK YOU :O). Xx

      Delete
  5. you Got so many empties!
    Want to try Clarins Peach water!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I've been doing well! It's a really beautiful cleansing water and the smell is divine :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. I use Batiste dry shampoo too. I want to try a Jo Malone cologne, everyone seems to like them.
    x
    Stella from a A Shiny Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have some amazing scents and they feel so luxurious to wear :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. Dry shampo??? I need one....
    Have a sweet friday sweetie.
    Kisses
    The diary of a fashion apprentice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah - it's a MUST HAVE for me LOL! And you too my dear :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. You used up so much, its made me want to try and use up more!

    Hannah Heartss xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Hannah - I'm glad I've inspired you :O). Xx

      Delete
  9. I ask myself now why I have never made an empties post. I love to read them. I'll put that MUA bronzer on my wishlist but we don't have it in the drugstores so I will have to order it. Too bad you can't get another bottle of that perfume. That's the drawback with LE. Have a wonderful Friday Charlotte!!

    xx Mira

    www.glamdevils.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Mira! Absolutely, I should stay well away from them, but since I'm a sucker for perfume, I never seem to learn :o). Have a super weekend! Xx

      Delete
  10. Great post! I love seeing what people have finished, it shows that they think the products really are great!
    I've had the urban decay all nighter spray and I was quite impressed with it so you should try it to see if you prefer that one!

    www.hbbeautyblog.blogspot.com

    Hannah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Hannah, ah - that's really good to know so I will definitely try that as well then :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. Great post and that Clarins tonic must be amazing!

    Greetings from London,

    chrissabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's really lovely to use and I highly recommend it :o). xx

      Delete
  12. Hello Ira and thank you for visiting and for the lovely comment :o). Have a great weekend! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no your poor Jo Malone scent, I think I'd have cried. Great post, I love an empties post :) x

    Claire | AgentSmyth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad it's not just me not liking the XXL volume batiste - I found it made my hair really gross, couldn't run a brush throught it! I stick to their normal ones now!...xx

    www.peachymakeup.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emma, I agree with you, I'll stick to my beloved Tropical for a while :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. I really want to try batiste, I've heard quite a lot of good things about it :)

    http://daisychainprincess.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Bess it's a really great and affordable product, and having a travel size in your handbag means you can always freshen up your hair anywhere :O). Xx

      Delete
  16. I haven't seen that Batiste XXL dry shampoo in my store! I hope I do because a volumizing effect is the only thing missing from my regular Batiste!

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can't find it I'm sure you can get it online from Superdrug:o). Xx

      Delete
  17. Love the Urban Decay makeup setting spray. I own it but always forget to use it! Thanks for the reminder. ;)

    Jules of Canines & Couture
    www.caninesandcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) - very welcome, it's a good product! Xx

      Delete
  18. Awesome empties! That Jo Malone scent sounds beautiful! :)

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, oh it was delicious a perfect summer scent :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. I love a good snoop through other people's empties. I really must get around to trying Jo Malone, but nowhere locally sells it.
    Karen x
    http://silvermachine78.blogspot.co.uk/x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, I'm thrilled since they have just opened a Jo Malone in Southampton which is really close to where I am! Might be a disaster for my bank balance though LOL. Xx

      Delete
  20. Im curious about the KIKO serum too - but no KIKO here in Canada :( Do you use hydraluronic acid?
    Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't actually, but I have heard wonderful things about the Hydraluron series so I would like to try that at some point! Do you use it - what do you think of it? Xx

      Delete
  21. Ooh I've been wanting to try the UD all nighter spray for ages, do tell what you think if you try it :)

    surelychar.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it yesterday so will take it for a spin and do a review of it in a few weeks I think :o). Xx

      Delete
  22. I always find it hard to throw perfumes away because I just get attached to them - the memories from wearing the fragrance, the person who bought it for me, the pretty bottle...I try to eek them out as much as I can.

    Lucy x The New Northerner

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a million pots and tubes laying around that I need to finish, yet still I am tempted to buy more. Shopaholics and proud of it I say!
    www.naomitalksbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, like I say: I want it all and I want it NOW! :o) Xx

      Delete
  24. Great post. I need to take some of that derermination and do something with my cupboards.

    Rachael x
    All The Little Things x | Rachael McClenaghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not easy when there are so many new and lovely products tempting me :o). Xx

      Delete
  25. I really want to try an Urban Decay setting spray!

    It can't be another beauty blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do help your makeup last longer, but I'm very excited about trying the All Nighter to see which one I prefer the most :O). Xx

      Delete
  26. limited edition products always seem to be the ones that should never have been limited edition, always makes me sad!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! Sometimes they turn the very popular LEs items into part of the normal collection, but no such kuck with these ones :/. Xx

      Delete
  27. Great post, I love seeing what other bloggers use up! I'm a big bronzer fan but haven't tried the MUA one so I'll have to check that out. Can't believe it's only £1! x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm dying to try the Urban Decay Setting Spray. (:

    beautifuljewell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Micaylah and thank you so much for visiting! It's a good product and I'm looking forward to seeing how Long Lasting works out for me :o). Hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!