Sunday 13 October 2013

Operation Rapunzel is a go!

Most of my life I have had long hair, and at one point it was just above my waiste - that's how long it was. I think it's a reaction to having had very short hair as a young child and thinking that I didn't look like the other girls who all had lovely long locks. The thing about long hair is that when it comes to the point that you can't really style it or do beautiful updo's and it just hangs there, then it's almost too long - this is of course a matter of personal taste but I actually decided to cut my hair a bit shorter about 5 years ago. Even though I still have what most people would think is fairly long hair, it was a huge decision for me at the time, but I thought it was better to have well cared for and healthy looking hair, than just mega long hair. The other thing about having long hair is that you really need to look after it, and I admit that I don't always do as well as I should on that front, which is why I today launch Operation Rapunzel!

For the next few months I am going to put my hair through a vigorous care routine all according to BBB - Beauty Blogger Basics. I will be using different treatments, serums, oils, heat protectants, volumizers and sprays and in the end we'll see if there's any noticeable difference. So you can expect to see some focus on hair products in the next few months to come. 

During Rapunzel I will also see if I can get my hair to grow a bit longer using the Lee Stafford Hair Growth Treatment.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this - but hey noone is perfect, and perhaps some of you will recognize this too: When I have done treatments to my hair I've always focused on the ends of my hair, rather than the roots. It's silly really when you think about it considering your hair doesn't grow from the ends, it grows from the scalp so it's actually important to make sure that your scalp is cared for and healthy. The concept of the Lee Stafford treatment is that good follicle health helps your hair to grow - and to grow as long as it has the potential to do.

The formula is a protein based complex that basically moisturizes the scalp, strengthens the hair at a deep level and also helps contains anti-aging properties. This product is used between your shampoo and conditioner, so after you've used shampoo, you massage it into the hair, starting at the scalp and working your way down to the ends. The recommendation is that you use about the size of an egg, and I guess it depends on the type of egg (Ostrich? Quail? Tyrannosaurus Rex?) and how much hair you have, but I use about half the size of a Maybelline Colour Tattoo. Now that's a size concept I think we can all relate to!

After you've massaged it in, leave it for a few minutes - rinse it off and then apply your conditioner. The treatment is a thick and heavy cream that smells quite perfumed and salon like, and actually reminds me a little of pistachio. It's not unpleasant at all, just a little bit synthetic for my liking. The treatment is easy to rinse off, and makes your hair very soft, volumized and fresh feeling in general. I really enjoyed using it and even though I was worried that treating my scalp would end in unbalancing it, I haven't found it to be greasy or sticky in any way - so a big thumbs up from me!

You can either use the treatment as a cure i.e. apply it every time you wash, until you feel that the quality of your hair has improved, or you can use it as a weekly treatment to maintain your hair. I commit to using this as a weekly treatment for two months. Since I can't commit to wearing the same nail polish shade for a whole week, you can imagine what an effort this is going to take on my part! According to my research, my hair should have grown about 3 cm in that time, so let's see if at the end of it my hair has exceeded normal growth rate. This is how long my hair is at the moment, so if I don't trim the ends, it should be almost down to my elbows in two months.

In between I will still go to the salon as usual, and I'll check with them if they notice a significant improvement as well - it's always good to get a professional's view on it. Operation Rapunzel should be good fun and I look forward to keeping you updated on what's going on. If you feel inspired to join in too, please let me know since that would be so exciting and we can share what's going on!

48 comments:

  1. Great post and your hair looks really pretty. I'm excited to see if there will be a noticeable difference in your hair by changing up some products.

    allthingsglitterandbeauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amelie, thank you so much - me too, I'm sceptical but very willing to be proven wrong :O). Xx

      Delete
  2. Hehe operation rapunzel made me laugh! I want really long hair too so I'm going to see,how you get on with this then might buy it myself. Can't wait to see your results!
    Tania x
    Make-up-maggie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) - thank you! I might even boost the effect by using the accompanying shampoo and conditioner, see how that goes :O). Xx

      Delete
  3. Good luck!! I've been growing my hair and have managed to gain back having a bob from a short pixie cut in 6 months. Am still growing my hair so may have to look this product up!

    If you want some professional advice about growing your hair, the best I can give is to make sure you eat a protein rich diet. Your hair feeds off of your body's blood supply and as hair is made up of a complex involving protein, eating more things like eggs, fish, nuts, meat etc will help aid the growth and overall condition of your hair :)

    Great post!xxx http://stylewithgracehairdesign.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the advise that's really nice of you and useful! I'll try and up the protein intake as well, see if that has any effect :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. I quite want to get this, I like my hair length but I read other reviews and apparently it really helps your hair get healthier, but I can't wait for your review to decide if I will get it!:)xo

    libbyjade26.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I hope I'll have even more positive things to say in 2 months or so :O). Xx

      Delete
  5. I'd love to try this :) Excited to hear if it worked for you.. :)

    Rachael |overdosedemaquillage.blogspot.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed it's as good as a lot of reviews say :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. Great post!

    I'd like to personally invite you to enter my MAC lipstick $40 MAC giftcard giveaway!
    http://mash-elle.blogspot.ca/2013/10/mac-creme-cup-review-mac-lipstick-40.html

    x Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, have joined and am really excited about it. What a generous giveaway! Xx

      Delete
  7. Your hair looks beautiful!
    My hair use to be just a bit longer than yours in the picture and was a light blonde.. then I had some extensions put in and they made a lot of my hair fall out and weak :( I had to have my hair cut off to my shoulders last march and now its past my shoulder, but it feels like it's been that length forever, it just needs that extra shove.
    This is such a good idea, so I'm going to give this a go and see how I get on :) xx

    www.chanellejade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, I know that in the bigger scheme of things it probably sounds silly but cutting your hair isn't an easy thing to do when you're used to it being long. I'm so glad you feel that it's help to improve it and fingers crossed this works for you too :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. Your hair looks so beautiful and healthy, I really need to give this a try! Where can I buy this and how much is it?
    Lauren :) xx

    http://heylauren98.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lauren, thank you so much, that's really nice of you :o). You can get it in Boots for just under £8 and they also have a range with shampoo and conditioner - good luck with it :O). Xx

      Delete
  9. My hair is like the same length as yours, and my hair also used to be really long and I just cut it because there was nothing I could do with it but now I sort of wish it was longer because it doesn't grow much now. I'm excited to here the results!

    http://daisychainprincess.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I was quite fed up with not being able to do anything with it, but in the end it's whatever you're happy with that matters :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. Your hair is amazing! Can't wait for the follow up posts :-)


    Rachael x
    All The Little Things x | Rachael McClenaghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's really sweet of you :o)! Xx

      Delete
  11. I'm growing my hair for the past three years now, and I'm getting SO impatient! I might give this a try :) try the cinnamon shampoo bar from Lush, it promotes hair growth, and I found it to work quite well. :)
    http://lipstickandlightening.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you that's a great recommendation, I love anything that smells nice and spicy :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. Excited to see how you get on with this! I have hair a similar length to yours and just can't seem to get it to grow much past this length!

    It can't be another beauty blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Isabelle, fingers crossed it works and perhaps we can all get long luscious lock :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. Long haired person over here as well. It currently reaches my butt crack. Haha, sorry, I couldn't remember the word for "svanskota". ^^ I am really bad at caring for it though. But I must say, I have never recieved so many compliments for my hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Sarah - LOL - you made me laugh!!! That's amazing, maybe you're lucky enough to have great quality hair naturally. Getting jealous here :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. I've been trying to grow my hair for years! for some reason it just stayed at the same length!
    Now my hair is getting to a nice length, and sadly to say any of those "miracle growth" treatments actually didn't work! I tried FAST shampoo and conditioner, and that was the worst thing I ever used to grow my hair - (don't try it its a waste of money!)

    I would say go back to basics which is things like massaging your scalp, cut your hair not as often, use great moisturizing treatments, straighten/blow dry your hair less and I'm sure your hair will grow :) x

    laurathinksabout.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the advise - I won't waste my money on any of those products! Xx

      Delete
  15. Very curious to see how it works! I didn't cut my hair for over a year which meant a massive hair cut not that long ago, but trying to grow it out again. It's probably a similar length to yours :)

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems a lot of us are trying for longer hair, so let's see what happens with this product and it'll help. If you discover something else that you think works - please let me know :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. you already have really pretty mane dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - thank you that is so sweet of you but let's see if we can get it a bit longer :O). Xx

      Delete
  17. I've been wanting to grow my hair since my hairdresser cut too much off! I also dropped by to say that I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award because I think your blog is absolutely wonderful
    Much Love
    bohobun.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for thinking of me, that is so lovely of you. I'll definitely get back to you. I just have to warn you that it may take a few weeks but I haven't forgotten, so please be patient :o). XX

      Delete
  18. Such a good idea! I look forward to hearing about the process. I just had all of my hair cut off to my shoulders because it was in such bad condition so I think I need to do the same and concentrate on using lots of good products.

    Hannah x
    http://b-l-a-b.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Hannah, oooh, I've been there - done that and it's really tough, but sometimes it's the best thing that you can do to start over again. If you find another product that you think is great, please let me know since I'd love to try it :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. good luck!! i had quite long hair for a while but then decided on day to cut it all off into the bob that i now have. never looking back lol
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been tempted many times to try a short do, but if I had regretted it, it would take so long go grow my hair back so I've never been brave enough to go for it :o). Xx

      Delete
  20. Wow your hair is gorgeous looks so shiny! Good luck I'm sure it will grow in no time.

    http://mylushbox.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, that's very nice of you :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. I'm not sure if this product is available in the States (I'll have to check), but it sounds amazing. I cannot wait to find out your results. Due to ageing my hair is thinning and I am always on the hunt for a product that will achieve successful re-growth.
    Your blog is informative and fun. I really enjoy reading your posts. Now following on Bloglovin' and liked on facebook.

    Barbara @ www.allmylivesnow.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Barbara! Thank you so much for visiting and for leaving such a lovely comment - it really made me smile! I'm following you back on FB and Bloglovin' and hope to see you back here again soon :o). Have a super day! Xx

      Delete
  22. I've always wanted to try this - I have such fine, thin hair and am getting quite a lot of fall out lately and need it to grow nice and healthy! I'm excited to see how yours turns out! Any recommendations for my type of hair?

    www.ceejayell.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used the John Frieda volumising products and I'm very happy with them and they're not too expensive either. One of my friends raves about the Bumble & Bumble Thickening range, so you might want to try that as well if you feel like splashing out :o). If you get any of them, it would be great if you let me know what you think :o). Xx

      Delete
  23. Can't wait to see if this works! I'll be tempted to try it if it does. Would love to have long hair :). Even the length you have now would be cool with me!

    http://polishedandprimed.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stephanie - ah, isn't it funny how we always want what we don't have. I would be happy if my hair was just a few cms longer :o). Xx

      Delete
  24. You have very beautiful hair, well jel ;) I am on operation Rapunzel too, but I have along way to go, even to get to your length. I am also using the Lee Stafford treatment, haven't noticed staggering length, but it has certainly reduced the amount of hair that falls out and the condition is definitely better. Hope you see good results too!

    Paula at Beauty Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Paula - thank you very much, that's so nice of you :o). Sounds promising, and fingers crossed it does something for the length too :o). Hope you'll visit again soon - have a great weekend! Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!