Thursday 24 October 2013

Fiesta time with the October box from Kitchen Nomad

One of the places in the world I had always wanted to visit is Mexico. I'm fascinated by its history and culture, and earlier this year I was fortunate enough to spend two weeks in Mexico on Yucatán. We had an amazing time exploring the mayan temples of Chichén Itzá and Tulum, taking in the sun, doing some latin dancing, and of course enjoying the fantastic food. So when I opened the October box from Kitchen Nomad and discovered that the theme was Mexico I was absolutely thrilled.

At the beginning of the month I shared with you the first box I received from Kitchen Nomad, which focused on Pakistan It was a slightly delayed review since the box arrived when I was in Sweden but if you haven't read that post, I'll just remind you of the fabulous concept of getting a selection of ingredients from a different country each month, together with a suggestion for a menu and you also get some interesting facts about the culture and food from the particular country. So vámonos, let's see what Mexican delicacies Kitchen Nomad has in store for me this month:

 Ingredients
Chilli de Árbol - deep rep chilli fruits used for chilli sauce
Chipotle Sauce - medium hot chilli sauce with smoked paprika, garlic and cocoa
Anchos Chillies - mild, dried chilli with a slightly smokey fruity flavor
Jalapenos Chillies - pickled snacks
 Ingredients 
 Masa Harina - maize flour used for making soft corn tortilla
Mexican Oregano - aromatic but spicier and stronger than your usual oregano
Bay leaves
Black Beans - as a dip with tortilla chips or to put in tacos
Pumpkin Seeds
Chilli Honey - honey with a smokey chilli flavor
 
 
With all these wonderful ingredients, this is the feast you can make:
Starters:
Soft-baked feta - feta cheesed backed in the oven with garlic, chillies de árbol, thyme, and lime. Eaten with soft tortilla
Stuffed Chillies - Chillies stuffed with cream cheese, parmesan, chives and fried. Served in soft tortillas and sour cream, but since none of us like sour cream we'll swap this for a cooling tomato salsa.
 
Mains:
Rajas tacos - soft tortillas filled with a sauce made from ancho chillies, garlic, creme fresh, cheese, onions and since I don't eat meat, we'll make this a prawn taco
Black bean soup - soup with black beans, chillies, chipotle sauce, oregano, bay leaves, tomato, garlic, onion, stock and lime. Served with crumbled feta cheese and coriander
Autumn stew with pipián - vegetarian stew with pumpkin, apples, cinnamon, cumin, ancho chillies, pumpkin seeds, chiles de árbol, garlic, onion, coriander and basil
 
Dessert:
Chilli honey crumble - made from apples and blueberries



I don't know about you, but after this I'm already ravenous! So I have a cunning plan for this weekend; we'll turn up the heat in the living room, we'll post pictures from our holiday all over the walls, play some mariachi music, have a big jug of frozen strawberry daquiri, eat this amazing food, and it'll be just like being back in Mexico - well not quite, but we can dream...

33 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I don't know if blueberries are traditionally Mexican, but a Chilli Honey crumble does sound amazing :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. ..you just made me hungry..and craving for something really spicy.. :P
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, same here but I haven't even had breakfast yet!. Do you think I can put chillies in a smoothie? Xx

      Delete
  3. I like spicy food moderated great post.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm...It seems delicious food!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mexican is probably my favourite cuisine - I can just eat it all day long :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. ohh Sweetheart!!! YUMMY
    I LOVE the mexican food and I've a secret Guacamole recipe ;) jajaja
    Kisses
    The diary of Indian Savage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, sounds yummy - have you ever tried guacamole with blue cheese through it? Oh my goodness, it's delicious! Xx

      Delete
  6. Wow, I've never heard of this before but it really looks like something to check out. I used to love cooking but once I started working weird hours, I kind of stopped having any interest in it. I'm trying to get back into it, but it's always a lot easier to stick to the staple things that I can make on autopilot, so this sounds like a really fun way to try new things.

    - Emmy xo | A Little Yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Emmy and thank you so much for visiting! It's a great way to introduce some new flavors in your life :o). Hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  7. I loveeee Mexican food, this looks fab!

    www.notanotherbeautyblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already looking forward to our little fiesta :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. This sounds amazing!! I can't hack Mexican food but even so these pics are still making me hungry lol! Enjoy :) x

    Claire | AgentSmyth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - you got so many good things! I will have to check out this subscription for sure.

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have tagged you in the 'I have never but would like to tag' if your interested:)

    curlsandcometsblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, that's very nice of you. I still have quite a few TAGs that I need to do so it may be a while before I reply to it, but I haven't forgotten. Xx

      Delete
  11. Cool idea for a box, I love learning new recipes from other country's!!

    http://welldressed25.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, you always pick up something new :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. I love that you travel so much! This box looks great too.
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I do feel very lucky :o). Have a great weekend! Xx

      Delete
  13. great!!!
    would you like to follow each other?
    just let me know
    xx
    Marlena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marlena and thank you so much for visiting! It's a great idea and a nice change from all the beauty boxes. Sure that would be lovely, am following you now and hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  14. Oh wow what a fantastic idea! This is a great way to get me to be a bit more adventurous in the kitchen :D xx

    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the different dishes all seems so easy to make, which is always an extra bonus :O). Xx

      Delete
  15. so cool! mexico, specially cancun, is one of my favorite places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful area, but Mexico has so much more to offer so I wouldn't mind going back to a different part :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. What a brilliant idea, I've never seen anything like this before. If I was a little less fussy with my food I would definitel get this.
    J
    Xx
    beautydusts.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) - it's also a great present for someone! Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!