Wednesday 12 February 2014

Diorblush Trianon Edition

At the end of January I went to a Dior event at Debenhams for the launch of Dior's Trianon Spring 2014 Collection. It was a great opportunity to have a good close look at all of the gorgeous little pieces of art that Dior is tempting us with this Spring and to also try the products on properly by creating a look there and then with expert advise. The collection mixes pastels of different colors and intensity for a very pale, delicate and tender look. Since I've really embraced the pastel makeup look this Spring and plan to use light crisp blue, powder pink and subtle silver grey, I left the event with quite a few of the new releases, and I'll review them all in more detail starting with the Diorblush Trianon Edition (£30.50) today.

Let's start with the packaging which we all know isn't everything, but I for one must admit that using a product that is both pretty to look at and to use, adds extra enjoyment and every time I take out a beautiful little compact, it's an added every day second of glamor that really cheers me up. The blush comes in quite a large compact, although half that space is taken up by a good quality angled blusher brush and there's a great big mirror in the lid as well. Every new product released by Dior has a specific design element to it, and the bow and pearled ribbon embossing used throughout the Trianon collection refers to a type of headdress which was very popular in the 17th century. It's such a beautiful pattern and you do almost feel guilty for ruining it by using the product. As with all Dior palettes you also get a cute little velvet pouch that you can keep the blusher in to protect the classic and stylish blue Dior packaging.
Since I've decided to go for some very delicate pastel shades in my eye makeup I wanted to contrast that with a blusher with more vibrancy to avoid looking completely washed out, and I chose the shade 946 Pink Réverie. In the pan this is a fairly strong but muted rose pink with definite blue undertones that almost makes it look very faintly lilac and when I tried the blusher at the event I was a bit apprehensive about how the color would turn out since the pigmentation seemed very intense, and I was convinced that this shade wouldn't work for me. Having tried it at home now for a few weeks I am very surprised to find that it's actually quite difficult for me to get a decent rosy cheek from it. The blusher is very finely milled so it's very sheer and light on the skin, both which are great qualities in terms of sitting nicely on the skin and it doesn't cause any creasing, however it also has an impact on how easy or as in this case - difficult the color is to build up. As you can see below in the photo, the color payoff is barely noticeable and I applied the blusher three very generous times - so it's not just a bad photo.
I don't mind splurging on a product if it's going to deliver and make me look and feel fabulous every day, however there are some very good blushers on the high street at very reasonable prices and in comparison with those and considering that this is a very expensive Dior product I definitely had expected more. I can't ignore the issue with pigmentation and as much as I really REALLY want to love this blusher, unfortunately it's a disappointment, it's just not working for me and I say that without blushing in the least. I honestly don't know if the issue is that the pigmentation isn't strong enough, or that the shade simply doesn't come into its own on my skintone - perhaps I should have trusted my instinct and gone for 763 Coraile Bagatelle instead, but I certainly hope that pigmentation concerns don't rear their annoying heads with the Trianon eyeshadow palette as well... you'll find out in a few weeks time in my second review of the Trianon collection. 

76 comments:

  1. What a pity! The blush looks lovely but with such little pigmentation it's no wonder you're disappointed. I have one Dior blush and have no issues with it so maybe you just got unlucky - small comfort though I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes like I said it could perhaps be that it's simply not a shade that works with my skintone :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. That's disappointing :(. I know the feeling when you're trying to love something just because of the price tag :/. I hope it's not the case with eyeshadows too.

    Blu Button Box

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a sucker for nice packaging has its down sides, I can't resist it either! It looks like it would have been such a lovely colour too!

    www.makingmeblushblog.wordpress.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I haven't given up on it yet - I still work away at it, hoping it'll one day pop, but no joy yet... Xx

      Delete
  4. I'm always on the look out for a sweet pink blush and this one looks great. I'll have to go try it out x
    http://bellalovesbear.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with the comment that there are some much better blushers at cheaper prices. I had the same problem with my Chanel blusher....very disappointing. Severe lack of colour payoff and a huge price tag to go with it. However I do adore the packaging on both the Chanel and the Dior.....so at least it can sit there looking pretty :) - Char xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - it's small comfort, but you're right - it does look pretty :o). xx

      Delete
  6. This blush looks gorgeous, too bad that the pigmentation is not good :(

    Laura
    Pink Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very surprised by it, I thought it would be completely the other way around, so I'll keep experimenting with it, hoping I'll figure out one day how to make it stand out :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. The Dior MUA at the counter tried this on me and I loved it, been meaning to go back and pick it up ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have better success with it than I do :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. Such a shame that it's left you feeling disappointed as it's such a gorgeous-looking palette! xxx
    The Jolly Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't figure out at all why it doesn't show up on me... maybe I just need to add loads more :O). Xx

      Delete
  9. Sorry you disappointed with it! It looks very similar to the lancome one I have which is much better pigmented.

    www.steffystravelblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'll keep trying to work with it :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. Love the packaging! How cute that the blush has a nice bow shape! The color is nice too. Very subtle. I definitely need to try this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pity! The blush looks lovely but with such little pigmentation it's no wonder you're disappointed. =(
    very amazing blog, darling !!!
    xoxo

    follow each other to be friend?

    www.melodyofmywords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - follow you now :O). Xx

      Delete
  12. Oh no that is such a shame! Cause the blush looks so pretty! btw very good review. :) xx

    Almu

    FeelBella

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the color for spring!
    http://fetish-tokyo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing shade!!!!!!!!!
    Happy wed!!!!!!!!!
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  15. I go crazy for Dior make up! It looks so good, I want it!

    Viky --- MySecretFashionPoison

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous color!!!

    #NYFW on Decide Desigñ, today the new collection by Jérôme LaMaar
    5:31 JÉRÔME #NYFW14: http://goo.gl/qpfAYX

    Decide Desigñ
    http://decidedesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a beautiful color - I will have to try it out!

    xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it'll work out better for you than for me :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. I love the imprint but the price tag is a little bit steep, gorgeous in the pan nevertheless though :-)
    http://honi.blogg.se

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I even would have preferred it if it was over pigmented - but there you go... :o). xx

      Delete
  19. Such a beautiful colour, shame the price tag is so high x

    daisy-drops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially when the pigmentation doesn't back up the price... :o). Xx

      Delete
  20. This is such a gorgeous shade and it looks absolutely beautiful in terms of packaging too! :)

    Ellis Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had high hopes for it, but I haven't given up quite yet and still use it... :O). Xx

      Delete
  21. I can see why you bought it though Charlotte, it looks beautiful in it's packaging and design. I like this review as you've talked about it more in-depth and just think at least you may have helped a few girls out there before they consider the blusher Xx

    Essence of Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely of you - thank you very much, it really means a lot to me :o). Xx

      Delete
  22. Oh man that blusher is just so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks pretty! Too bad it didn't show up in your swatch.

    Ray | Obey Ray

    ReplyDelete
  24. Replies
    1. It's a gorgeous color, shame about the pigmentation :o). Xx

      Delete
  25. Such a lovely colour and I love that cute bow!!
    Josie xoxo Fashion Mumblr

    ReplyDelete
  26. this looks like such a gorgeous colour!

    http://thisgirlloveschic.blogspot.co.uk


    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a delicious pink, I just wish the payoff was stronger :O). Xx

      Delete
  27. it's a shame about the pigmentation, but it's so prettyyyyyy :o xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm still hoping that one day I'll get it to pop :O). Xx

      Delete
  28. wow what a disappointment! have heard great things about dior blushes, but this is a definite miss :(

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stubborn as I am I refuse to give up hope, but it's hardly noticeable on me and I apply A LOT Xx.

      Delete
  29. Oh wow, that's such a shame! I do like quite a natural blush though so perhaps it would be okay for me!

    Tara xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it, like I said it could be that it's just not good for my skin tone... :o). Xx

      Delete
  30. This is such a pretty blush, I wouldn't want to use it and ruin how pretty it looks in the packaging! Bit of a shame that there's not much of a colour pay off for how expensive it is, you would expect a little more for the price :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a shame that such a beautiful and expensive blush isn't worth it!

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... disappointing, but stubborn as I am, I'm still trying to get a good color payoff from it :O). Xx

      Delete
  32. Oh my gosh this blush looks so so so beautiful. What an absolute shame it didn't wow you :( xx

    Gemma // missmakeupmagpie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's heartbreaking when that happens - especially when it's a premium brand :o/. Xx

      Delete
  33. Woooow this is beautiful! I actually need a new blusher! In fact I say that about everything you post - I need this, I need a new that! Haha! :) beautiful x

    Secret little Stars
    www.secretlittlestars.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I bet your list of things to try and buy is as long as mine :o). Xx

      Delete
  34. The palette looks so cute!! The color is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely pink shade, I just need to figure out how to get it to stand out more :o). Xx

      Delete
  35. The packaging is just so gorgeous!!! loveeee

    xx Cissy
    www.idreamofbunnies.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I adore the shade. Dior are always so elegant and glamorous, it makes you feel great using it. :)
    lipstickandlightening.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like a little everyday luxury :o). Xx

      Delete
  37. Yeah, I am a bit peeved that the blush only takes up half the compact (who even uses the brushes that come with blushes?). BUT THE BLUSH ITSELF SMELLS SOO NICE. I tried looking for this shade, but I think it's UK only. Corail Bagatelle is also a bit hard to swatch to get the colours to build up (a bit sheer??) but on the face, it's pretty.

    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry ʘ‿ʘ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the first time that I'm having some issuettes with pigmentation in Dior products - which is such a shame since I LOVE Dior :O). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!