Tuesday 4 February 2014

Can MUA fix it?

These days we all live hectic lives and the last thing we busy girls want to do is to keep checking and touching up our makeup throughout the day. We want products that are long lasting and we want to be confident that they do actually stay exactly where we carefully applied them earlier that morning. For years I've wondered in frustration: Where on earth does your makeup disappear to during the day?, but for some reason it wasn't until early last year that I really discovered the magic of primers and fixing sprays, and now there's definitely no going back. Not really knowing what to expect or what works for me I tried a couple of primers from different brands before I eventually fell in love with Urban Decay's Primer Potion for Eyes, and that little tete-a-tete also lead me to try the make up setting sprays from Urban Decay. First I tried the De-Slick Oil Control Makeup Setting Spray and when that ran out I switched to the All-Nighter - Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray, which I have truly LOOOVED to use. But the day came when it also sprayed its last spriz and I had to pick up a replacement as a matter of urgency, and I turned too the MUA Pro Mist Fixing Spray (£5) that I had seen mentioned a few times on other blogs. Replacing Urban Decay is a tough task with some gianormous boots to fill - so, could MUA fix it?
Usually you apply the fixing spray after you've finished all of your makeup but I also add a few spritzes after I've finished my foundation but before any powder, and for me that seems to work best. What I like least with this setting spray, and which is also my main bug bear with Urban Decay is the spray function. It's a pump spray which means that it doesn't distribute evenly, so it takes a little bit of getting used to and my best advise is to not spray it directly onto your face, but to spray a little cloud at a fair distance from your face and then you lean into it. It's not ideal and I really dislike when you have to work around a product because the functionality isn't quite what it should be and I really hope that a brand at some point will come up with a setting spray that comes out in a delicate fine mist, rather than as a squirty water pistol - that's not too much to ask is it?

The spray itself is completely without any perfume and it feels very refreshing and hydrating on the skin (if you don't get drenched...) and it absorbs within a few seconds leaving a very subtle radiant finish. MUA claims that the spray should help your makeup to stay put for up to 8 hrs, but on me it lasts about 5 hrs so in that aspect it falls short compared to Urban Decay which lasts for about 8 hrs. You can of course use this throughout the day to refresh your look and add some hydration to your complexion, but personally I prefer to use an aromatic facial spray like Caudalie's Beauty Elixir to also lift my mood. All in all the MUA fixing spray is a non frills product at an affordable price (MUA £5 versus Urban Decay £9) that does the job, however personally I would have liked it to be a bit more long lasting, so the next time I need to be fixed up I think I'll seek out my old All -Nighter friend instead. 

58 comments:

  1. Hmm never tried any kind of fixing spray but I probably should start - I feel like my makeup doesn't stay put, especially in the summer. I'm going to look into this one. Great review!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good spray, I just wish it lasted a bit longer :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I also never used a fixing spray. Although my make up last 5 hours without primer or setting sprays.
    I definitely want to buy them but I just never find the time. Do they really make a difference?

    Making Things Alive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I use the Urban Decay primer and fixing spray I find that they'll make my makeup stay put for about 8 hrs which I think is quite good and it also seems to take a lot longer before shininess appears :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. That's so lovely of you - thank you very much :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. Have you tried the blushes from mua? I got two on Saturday and for a pound a pop they are amazing. I must try that urban decay spray xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, that's an absolute steal though so I might check it out at the weekend :O). Xx

      Delete
  5. I was actually very curious about this product as I do love quite a few products from MUA but I'm really glad that I didn't purchase this now! I have drier skin so I thought this would be great at prolonging my foundation and makeup in general but also live up my skin a little and hopefully get rid of any dry patches where my foundation has clung too but it doesn't actually sound that great. I also find it quite annoying when products "should" have a certain function to them but just fall short. Like you said it is very hard to control a spray nozzle when so much product comes out and the mist is not so fine! I'm sure this actually wastes a lot of product as well, but thank you for the review!

    -Shelby
    http://bittersweetshelby.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fixing spray itself is ok, although I wish it had a longer lasting effect, but I'm just not blown away by it... Xx

      Delete
  6. I have tried fixing sprays and not really got on with them mainly as you have said above they are difficult to spray and do evenly. I prefer fixing powder probably doesn't last as long but does the job Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand, and it's easier to take with you as well :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. I have often wondered where my foundation magically disappears to after a few hours!? You've certainly made me want to try this as it's such a purse friendly product :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a very good price and a good way to see if fixing sprays is something for you :O). Xx

      Delete
  8. i have the elf one at the moment and its working fine , really tempted to try others when its done though because they make such a massive difference don't they ! :)
    Melissa x
    My Blog | My YouTube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Melissa, I think so for sure! I didn't know that e.l.f. did one as well, so I might give that a go, thanks for the recommendation :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. This is a very well put-together review. I would definately try this product! Thanks for sharing!

    Relationships.College.Love
    New post on my blog: Forever 21 Wishlist 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely of you - thank you very much! :o) Xx

      Delete
  10. I never used such a spray, but sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seems like a good buy!

    www.mybeautysleuth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a decent spray, I'm just not wowed by it. Xx

      Delete
  12. Thanks a million - I already follow you ;o). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I want to try the Urban Decay one, ha! I don't own any fixing spray but I really must invest in some.

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're excellent for helping makeup stay put a bit longer :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. I love the Urban Decay makeup setting sprays!

    Ray | Obey Ray

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds great, I've never used a setting spray thus far and have had my eye on Urban Decays offering. I don't find primers make an immense difference on my skin so maybe these will do the trick.

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Setting sprays are brilliant and I absolutely LOVE Urban Decay, this is a decent budget option but I'm not completely blown away by it... :o) Xx

      Delete
  16. Five hours is quite long lasting but I suppose it depends on your day to day schedules. Never used a setting spray because I rarely wear foundation although I need a primer for eye makeup as I always find my eyeshadow fades, practically everyone rates the urban decay one x

    Essence of Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and I completely understand that - they are brilliant :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. I almost purchased this the other day. Great review!

    lovefrombethan.blogspot.co.uk

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. Best review ever! I need a setting spray!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely of you, thank you very much :o). Xx

      Delete
  19. I have this and quite like it for the purpose of making my dry skin look not so dry. I have noticed it holds my makeup in place too compared to if I didn't spray it on but I wouldn't say a lasting power of 8 hours.

    http://ambertypes.blogspot.co.uk xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's definitely not 8 hrs on me either :o). Xx

      Delete
  20. Sounds really good!! I really want to buy.

    http://www.juliechagas.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't tried fixing sprays before it's a nice product to start with :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. cant believe I've never had any MUA products! definitely going to be looking out for this one!

    www.champagnetote.blogspot.co.uk X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great affordable range and their palettes are definitely worth trying :o). Xx

      Delete
  22. I have never used a similar product but your review is quite convincing...might give it a go!
    xo
    Anastasia
    http://natbeesfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, let me know what you think of it :o). Xx

      Delete
  23. I've been wanting to try the MUA one for quite a while now but since I had some issues with their makeup I was to afraid it may cause my skin some break outs! I loved reading your review and I will probably purchase the Urban Decay one, the price difference is not that bad and 8 hours is a pretty good deal! Have a lovely week dear.x
    xxxx
    Stephanie
    vidathings.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Urban Decay is definitely worth getting :o). Xx

      Delete
  24. I've actually never tried this type of product before. I have very dry skin so I've never thought I needed it! Good review!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds interesting. I love a good base for my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Primer potions have worked really well for me and they aren't too expensive either :O). Xx

      Delete
  26. Makeup wearing off is a pain :( I love POREfessional for it to stay on, and I want to get my hands on the Urban Decay fixing spray :)
    lipstickandlightening.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great tip, I haven't tried POREfessional yet, so thanks for that :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. I'm currently using the Urban Decay All Nighter setting spray and I don't think I could live without it now. But I will definitely check this one out for a cheaper alternative! xx

    <a href="http://missabbykababy.blogspot.co.uk>The Beauty Scrapbook</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, this is a little cheaper but I think I'm going back to UD after this one, unless I find another one that seems interesting :o). Xx

      Delete
  28. Not tried this one - thanks for the sharing, love your reviews they are so informative :) xx
    http://insaneaboutmakeup.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely of you - thank you I really appreciate your lovely comment :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!