Monday 14 October 2013

Manic. Monday: Dutch Caviar

What a wonderful A/W season for nails this is, particularly if you like to play with different effects. It seems like anything goes, we've got different colored glimmers and sparkles which is almost bog standard these days and then the more outlandish; real feathers, foil, ombre, gradient, confetti, sugar crush, velvet, matte and my personal favourite - caviar.

When Ciaté launched their Caviar manicure, it was a look that was completely different from anything else I had ever seen - it was new, fresh, fun and playful. I did think that the original Ciaté sets were quite expensive for what is essentially different colored micro beads which you can pick up in any arts and crafts store or on eBay, but luckily the look was quickly copied by other more affordable brands and you can now easily get lovely color mixes on the high street to create interesting looks. Now, I know that nail caviar isn't to everyone's liking for various reasons and although it of course makes a very striking look to wear it on every nail, I personally prefer to have just one or maybe even two accent nails on each hand with caviar, leaving the others with a plain polish to balance the spectacular look, which is exactly what I'm showing in today's Manic. Monday.

One of my most loved nail polish brands is OPI - they have gorgeous shades, the formula is great and it is purse friendly. The shade I'm wearing in the photo is I don't give a Rotterdam which is a muted Cambridge blue with silvery grey undertones. It's an unusual subdued shade with subtle shimmer that creates almost a 3D effect that creates a look that is sleek and stylish but also severe and cool. The OPI brushes aren't particularly wide, but the formula is creamy, quick drying and gives a lovely and satin like streak free finish. I find this particular shade quite sheer and in the photos I'm wearing 3 coats to get a fairly solid and opaque base.I find that OPI usually lasts 3-4 days before it starts to chip, which in my book is pretty decent. But when it did start to chip after a few days I thought I would add some fun to it by adding some caviar.

The caviar mix I have used in the photo is the Bourjois Toppings 03 Maliblue which is a lovely mix of blue and grey shades; dark, matte prussian blue, vibrant navy blue, cool grey and shimmery silver. The trick to applying caviar is to work on one nail at a time and to first cover your nail with a fairly thick coat of based polish in whatever shade you choose, and then to pour over the beads before the nail polish dries. When you've covered the nail, gently tap or press down the pearls into the polish and perhaps even add some more to ensure that you get a really dense and even spread of beads. I never use a top coat, since I personally think that it ruins the effect, however it is a personal choice and it may last a bit longer if you do use a top coat. What I do instead is that I take a little bit of top coat and just seal the very tip of the nail to make it a little bit more resistant to wear and tear. It dries surprisingly quickly and if you have pressed the beads into the polish they'll set really well, although I would recommend that you take the next 15 mins or so for some well deserved me time. Make yourself a coffee or tea, sit back and read a magazine and just let it dry properly.

You might think that this is a very impractical look and as soon as you do anything the beads will come off. On me this will last approximately 3 days and I still put the manicure through every day things like washing up, cooking,  showers, tapping on a keyboard all day long etc. I may need to touch up the beads a little bit by filling in the odd little chip, but in general it lasts about the same as most standard nail polishes - not bad for being such an extravagant look.

I am ridiculously fond of this 3D frivolous and fanciful look and have quite a few caviar mixes to match with different shades. For this particular look I think the caviar takes away the edge of the strictness and cold of the OPI shade and adds something unexpected. I sometimes wear caviar at work to break up the corporate suit look, adding an element of unpredictability and mischievousness - in short a bit of personality!

I love how creative and expressive so many are with their nail art, and the only limitations are our own imagination. Do you experiment with different effect nail polishes, and do you have a favourite?

68 comments:

  1. Såååå snyggt med accentnageln. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallå där! Tack så jättemycket! Kul att det inte bara är jag som är svag för den här stilen :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. I had that OPI shade, so unusual and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite unusual and it has a strictness about it that I quite like :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. I do like these caviar mixes but when I tried an MUA one it just took a ridiculous amount of time to set! they do look amazing when you have the patience like you do though ha!

    www.champagnetote.blogspot.co.uk XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't sound too good, but you're right if you have time to wait a few mins, the result will look super :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will definitely do it, but it may take a few weeks or so, but I haven't forgotten, so please be patient with me :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hiya Gail, thanks a million for visiting! That's really nice of you - I do like to experiment with different caviar shades and styles :o). Hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  6. Great Post. I love anything to do with nails. They look fab.

    MUA also do great 3D effect for the fraction of the price i think it cost £3. You should try them they do all different colours too Xx

    www.yasbeyou.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya - thank you so much, that's really sweet of you! That's a great recommendation, I'll check their webpage tonight :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. I love the look of the caviar stuff but as you mention I've always considered them to be pretty impractical which is why I haven't picked any up. They do look fantastic on and I like the idea of just doing one or two nails, easier to maintain! I don't know what I do with my hands but I seem to chip my nails pretty quickly! I think I might have to pick some up to try at some point, screw being practical!


    Sharon xx

    Beauty, Miscellany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I like your determination and exactly - it's fassssssshion daaaaaa'hling! :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. That Bourjois topping actually made me OOOOH out loud, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emma - thank you so much! I do like the mix of of the blues and greys :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. wowwww it look s great these nails..keep in touch honey!
    blog: http://honeyandcotton.org/
    facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Honeyandcotton-Fashion-Blogger/422547954496955?fref=ts
    bloglovin: http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/6757331te
    g+:https://plus.google.com/108626334220279846676/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caviar manicure is probably my favourite detail to wear on nails. It's odd wearing them at first but you get used to it very quickly, right :) I like the shades you're wearing, I'd never tought of these colours :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maja and thank you so much for visiting! It's such a fun and playful look I just can't get enough of it :o). Hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  11. Very unique colour and a lovely effect... I have always been fascinated with caviar effect but could never be sure if it comes as the picture, but your post has motivated me to try it atleast once. Thanks for sharing! :)

    http://momthediva.blogspot.sg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it - excellent! When you've tried it, let me know what you did and what you think of it :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. I love the caviar toppings, just not the aftermath of finding them all around the house!

    It can't be another beauty blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I know what you mean, or trying to keep the cat away from it when you're applying it :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. That topping is such a lovely mix! Really nice :) I love caviar nails, just don't love the mess I make trying to do it haha!

    http://polishedandprimed.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like caviar topping when it's used as an accent nail, it stands out better yet isn't over the top. The mix of colours is nice too!

    Essence of Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jessica and thank you so much for visiting! I think you're absolutely right - the caviar itself is to extravagant that it almost looks better when it's on very few nails :o). Hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  15. I Don't Give a Rotterdam is fast becoming a favourite of mine. I love the tiny gold sparkle it has to it-it really comes through when you use Seche Vite as the top coat. Love the caviar accent nail too. Take a look at my blog to see what I'm rocking today!

    http://daydreamsanddee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Am following you now and hope you'll be back again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. I've never tried caviar toppings, but after looking at your photos I think I should buy at least one ;) Love the colour and the effect!

    awardrobeofmyown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Klaudia, thank you - that's a wonderful compliment :o). Hope you'll be back again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. Caviar effect looks really interesting on nails. You choose great colours, and it looks fantastic! I'm checking up your older posts :) Maybe we can follow each other? I follow you now, and I invite you on my blog if you will have some time :) Kisses from PL :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's very nice of you :O)! Of course - follow you as well and hope you'll be back again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. It looks great - love the colours and the caviar effect! :)
    theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely of you - thank you :o)! Xx

      Delete
  19. Your nails look gorgeous in monochrome xx I tried the Caviar effect nail varnish from MUA but it isn't as good as the Opi one xx
    Much Love

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE this nail look!

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love OPI nail polishes! Great color! Grey is such a big trend right now! Well done! Thank you for stopping by!

    Come back soon to visit me on The Notebook of a Fashion Lover

    Evi xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! Really like the grey shade too xx

    Jordan-Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it is really pretty with the slight shimmer :O). Xx

      Delete
  23. I've never tried cavier but I'm impressed it last so long! I do love that OPI though.

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. i like trying different nail finishes but i'm not sure i'm a fan of the caviar look. i think the manicure colors look great though!
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caviar is definitely not for everyone :o). Thank you very much! Xx

      Delete
  25. Oh my goodness this is so gorgeous! I don't know if it would stay on me ( I am a nurse and wash my hands at work constantly), but maybe for vacation!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice of you - thanks a million! Xx

      Delete
  26. LOVE this mani! Those pearls look sooooo pretty, with that polish <3 xxx

    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Gemma, I do have a soft spot for weird and wonderful manicures :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. This is SO pretty! I normally am not a huge fan of the caviar nails but the colors you used make it look so chic & classy! I love it!

    carly || sundays grace blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carly! I know it's not to everyone's taste, so it's really lovely of you to say! Hope you'll be back again soon:o). Xx

      Delete
  28. This is such a pretty combination! I really like the OPI polish you've used :)
    I have some Caviar beads that I'm yet to try, I really need to give them a go!

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should, and let us know which combination of shades you use :o). Xx

      Delete
  29. What a great look, I am loving it. I have not tried the caviar beads yet but they look so good!!
    www.naomitalksbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I think it's fun and a playful way to make things a little bit more interesting :o). Xx

      Delete
  30. I really love this nail look! It looks so cool!!
    Aims
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. In fact, the word caviar, while coming to English through French and Italian, is most probably rooted in Turkish or Persian from the words havya and khyah which mean 'egg'. caviar in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  32. Caviar is too different thing than a nail polish. Caviar is a unique sea food and elite food. Iranian Beluga Caviar in Dubai

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!