Tuesday 29 October 2013

Beauty TAG! Skin care

TAGs - they are fun to do because you get to know bloggers a little bit more and it also makes you think about some things when you look at the questions, and they are not always straight forward to answer. Every time I'm lucky enough to get tagged I'm very grateful that someone has thought about me, and I will always join in. However, I also try to keep my content balanced so it may be a while before I do the tag. Quite a while back I was tagged by the sweet Michelle from Virgos and Kisses, to do a TAG about Skin care, which I'm passionate about so this was so much fun to do. Let's have a look at what Michelle asked:

Describe your skin care routine in 5 words?
Cleanse, Exfoliate, Nourish, Moisturise, Pampering. Even though my morning routine is a little bit different from my evening routine, and Is quite often - it's all based on these principles. Personally I also believe a lot in the actual experience of your skin care routine. If you enjoy the textures and the scents, it'll almost boost the effects - you'll feel great and relaxed, and it'll show outwards!

What's your skin type?
My skin is actually normal to combination, but like a lot of other people it tends to get dehydrated for lots of reasons; part of it is genetic, the weather, sitting in from of a computer screen all day long, air conditioning, general well being and sometimes it's even caused by certain skin care products. That means that the majority of my skin care products focus on retaining or restoring moisturise to the skin and for me some of the best brands for dehydrated skin are Gatineau, Caudalie, Estée Lauder and Clarins.

Top blemish zapper?
Aftershave! I don't often get blemishes, but on the other hand when I do - they tend to be bad and enough to ruin my day. So when I notice that something is brewing, I'll take a little bit of aftershave (it has to be something with a high alcohol %) on a cotton top and treat that area a few times a day followed by a dab of a rich moisturiser to avoid the area getting dried out. Fortunately Him Indoors has a nice selection of lovely after shave to borrow from and actually some of them are really wearable for women too!

Face wipes, yay or nay?
Njaay... I wouldn't use face wipes on an every day basis, and personally I prefer to have separate products for a gentle good cleanse that's adopted for specific needs e.g. eye make up remover, cleanser, toner etc and I don't see how different types of needs can be met in just one product. However if you're traveling or if you can't be bothered with a micellar water or cleansing solution and cotton pad, it's very practical, quick and easy to use facial wipes.

Toner, yay or nay?
Definitely! it's one of the beauty products I started to use, I still remember my first basic trio of products: Cleansing lotion, Purifying toner and a Moisturiser. I like to use a toner and for me it's like making absolutely sure that you remove every particle of makeup that you've used. I also like that it makes the skin feel very refreshed between cleansing and moisturising and it's also lovely to use a facial spray at this stage.

High-end skin care or high-end makeup?
I do have make up favourites from premium brands, that I wouldn't want to be without, but there is also an excellent range of more purse friendly makeup options on the high street, with great pigmentation and shades. So for me I'm more willing to splurge on high end skin care and I actually think of it as an investment. That doesn't mean that only high-end skin care is worth getting. We all know that we pay more for premium brands, not always because of how effective they are but because of the label, the packaging and the marketing - which all add to the price tag. If you strip out those costs, you'll get a different price and there are definitely budget brands that have lovely products, e.g. Garnier. For me it's not necessarily about using high-end or not, I think we all have a mix of products in our cabinets and drawers, but what it is about is getting the basics right. If you don't treat your skin well - it doesn't matter how much money you spend on makeup, since you'll only try to cover your skin rather than enhancing it, and the make up won't look as lovely as it could. 

What's the most unusual skin care product you've tried?
Since I love to try new products I have a long list of things to choose from, but it would need to be a face mask. It wasn't the texture or the sensation as such that made it unusual, it was that one of the  main ingredients was bee venom. It was supposed to deeply hydrate and rejuvenate the cells as well as help with scars. I don't know if it actually did that, but since bee venom has a plumping effect the skin did look nicely hydrated and smooth, which of course will help to smooth out any imperfections. 

Tell us your top skin care tip:
Sleep, sleep, sleep. Him Indoors jokingly calls me the Champion of sleep, but it's a well known fact that sleep is essential not just for general well being, but for the cells to regenerate. It's also the time when your skin is most receptive to treatments and creams, which is why a lot of products intended to be used overnight are richer than products intended for day wear. So make sure you get your Zzzeds.

Thank you again to Michelle for tagging me and to keep this going, I'm passing this on to the following lovely bloggers, who you must go and check out:

Lucy from the New Northerner
Rachael from All the Little Things
Jackie from Beautify
Ambi from Ambi Fashion


Have a wonderful day everyone! Xx

41 comments:

  1. Great answer on this beauty tag especially the first you have a steady routine. that its great for the skin. Thank you doll for tagging me will work on it as soon as I can.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Jackie, thanks a million! Yeay - in your own time - I know it's not easy fitting everything in :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. Totally agree with the toner and removing wipes! Great answers and thank you for stopping by my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers :-) Thank you for tagging me in this. Will get it up soon :-)

    Rachael x
    All The Little Things x | Rachael McClenaghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Rachael - super, look forward to it :O). Xx

      Delete
  4. Great post, I'm good at my evening routine but don't really have a morning one!

    www.makeupmonster.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, that's so nice of you! Xx

      Delete
  5. Great Tag!

    www.peonyandpeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this tag! What mask had bee venom? I don't know if I would be so brave! lol xoxo Lauren
    twitter.com/singformakeup

    www.willsingformakeup.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound a bit scary doesn't it?! Xx

      Delete
  7. You're so lucky not to get many blemishes! I have been plagued recently - tis a curse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well on the other hand, when I do get blemishes the marks seem to stay for a weeks after... :/. Xx

      Delete
  8. Great answers :) thanks for tagging me :) will get it done soon :) XOXO
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so much fun - thanks for joining in! Xx

      Delete
  9. Aftershave as a zit zapper is new to me but sounds like something I will try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mai and thanks for visiting! It works well, I guess anything antiseptic would do really, but at least after shave smells nice too :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. 'champion of sleep' made me giggle! i love reading tag's, might have to do one myself!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think you've just lined yourself up for 100 nominations :o). Xx

      Delete
    2. I was so excited when i realised! :) going to be doing a post and giveaway soon! xx

      Delete
  11. loved reading your answers, I'm definitely guilty of choosing high end makeup over skincare but it's definitely something I'm planning on sorting out next year! I have a few high end skincare brands that I wouldnt be without, but usually with cleansers and toners and things I tend to go with standard brands like Olay and Simple. Bee venom face mask sounds crazy, I've heard of ones containing snail slime- there's no way I'm brave enough to try that I dont think haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iiiischk - snail slime, keep that well away from me :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. I love reading these posts! I agree lots of rest and plenty of water can make such a difference in your skin!

    sundays grace beauty blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you so much for tagging me!! I'll post mine asap, L xxxx

    maquillagemagic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great - I look forward to seeing it :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. Such a fabulous tag!!! I love it. I really need to up my skincare regime ready for winter xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tag! I've never tried anything from Gatineau- id love to hear more about that:) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ladies - it's a really good brand and they have some super serums, my favourite that adds instant glow is the Active Eclat Flash Radiance :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. Great post! i love tags :3 plz check out my new outfit post :) tanks so much!
    <3 chloe-anna
    Prettylildolls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million that's very nice of you! Xx

      Delete
  17. Just did my skincare tag :) check it out www.ambifashion.com XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent - thank you for letting me know, look forward to seeing the answers :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. Great tag! I enjoyed reading your answers :)

    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's really lovely of you :o)! Xx

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!