Friday 20 September 2013

My new personal skin trainer KIKO - 30 days later

You may remember that I started a new regime in August when I got myself a personal trainer for my skin, courtesy of KIKO, and you can read more about the product and my first impressions in this August post. Since I hadn't found any reviews of this product anywhere, I decided to put the product to the test and to do a 30 day trial on myself, to see if it delivered on all the amazing promises.

So before we get started, let's do a quick recap of what KIKO Skin Trainer claimed to do for the skin. First of all it's supposed to be a youth generating serum that trains the skin "to increase its youth potential" by recharging the skin with energy and counteract the signs of aging, intelligently moisturize skin according to its needs, increase cellular oxygenation to show healthy complexion and even out the skin. The scientifically proven results from the KIKO test groups were pretty impressive:
  • The skin is up to 42.8 % more supple (average value: 21.8%) after 4 weeks.
  • The skin’s hydration increases by up to 76,6 % (average value: +31.6%) after 4 weeks.
  • Wrinkle depth is reduced by up to 58.5 % (average value: -32.4%) after 4 weeks.
The two aspects that I have been focusing on during my 30 day trial were improvements to the suppleness of my skin and sense of hydration. I also need to say that during this trial period I have made no other changes to my skin routine and not introduced any other new products.
 
Now on to the results! For 30 days I've been using no other serum but the KIKO Skin Trainer, which I have applied every morning and evening after I've cleansed my face, but before adding any moisturizer or night cream. The serum is a quite a lot thicker than other serum's I've used so in the beginning I only used about 2-3 drops for my face and neck. But after a few weeks I started to feel as if that wasn't quite enough and as if the serum absorbed quicker into the skin than previously, so I added a few more drops for every use. Even if I did use a little bit more, it still sank into the skin beautifully and quickly, leaving it feeling nourished but without any shininess at all. I can't say that I've come around to the plastic scent of the product, but since that smell doesn't stay on my skin, I think I can put up with it for a few seconds while I massage in the serum. 

After a few days I started to notice that the skin did feel toned and stronger in a sense, as if the skin had tightened up a little, but not in the sense of dryness, but on a "muscle" level. And at the end of these 30 days that feeling is even more prominent. So that's a big tick in the box for increased suppleness - I really didn't expect that, so WEHAY!

For the other criteria on sense of skin hydration, I'm not as impressed as I am over the increased suppleness. There could of course be many reasons for this - change in the weather, hormonal, whatever, but for me the fact that I had to up the dose of serum from 2-3 drops to 5-6 to get a sense of hydration means that the serum simply didn't hydrate enough, and keep in mind that I already have dry skin. It wasn't just that I didn't get that initial feeling of hydration after a few weeks use, it was also that my skin clearly needed a moisture boost a couple of times a day, which is something I haven't had to do for quite a while. I guess it's a good thing I've always got a facial spray with me! So in terms of hydration I can't say that I noticed any overhwhelming positive results. 
 
The Skin Trainer is reasonably priced at £22.90, and for that I am VERY impressed with the increased suppleness, and as I continue to finish up what's left of it, I think I will add a richer and more moisturising serum either in the morning or evening to restore the hydration level to my skin. I would definitely recommend KIKO if you're looking for something to tone up your skin, but if you do have tendencies towards dry skin, like I do - you might want to counteract any dehydration from the serum with an intensely hydrating moisturizer.

I'll let you know if this small change that I'm planning has had better results regarding the hydration sense when I've finished the product in that month's Empties post.

21 comments:

  1. I've never tried any skin products from KIKO before but I love their makeup. So thanks for the review!

    http://allthingsglitterandbeauty.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so muc, it's a fairly new brand to me too, but based on just this product I would definitely consider buying other products too :). Xx

      Delete
  2. Following your blog series I have gain lots of information about skin care. Being involved with the beauty care world I need such experiences. Now I wish to share my obagi skin product knowledge with people. Obagi is a effective brand in skin care. All sorts of obagi skin care products is available from obagi sale outlet www.skinvogue.com/ through online on 30% discount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gloria, thank you so much for visiting and for leaving such a lovely comment. To me skincare is an investment and I love finding new great products, so thank you for the recommendation! Hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  3. Sounds promising! Kiko is a great brand but I've only tried their makeup in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's great value for money, compared to other serums! Xx

      Delete
  4. Ohh nice post I love the bottle as well x

    http://www.lucia-lolita.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  5. Really enjoyed reading this! Glad you're enjoying it! Looking for a new serum myself! Thanks for the great post!

    Alice X

    http://brushofbeauty17.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I would definitely recommend it to give your skin a new fresh start this Autumn, just don't expect too much when it comes to the hydration bit :O). Xx

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great serum! I wish I could find it in India! Love your well explained review sweetie <3 Kisses <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I've never hear of KIKO before. I'll have to look in to it!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This product is a good introduction to the range I think, and I'll try some others eventually since they are all so affordable, I think there's even an eyecream for around £5! Xx

      Delete
  8. I really want to give this a go! I wish I had the chase to buy this back in Italy! :)

    www.makeupandstilettos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah, well checking out a KIKO shop is definitely on my list of things to cover next time I'm in Italy :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. Really interested now in giving this a try,i like a serum as a boost to my skincare routine.x
    http://www.naomitalksbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naomi, oh please do and let me know what you think of it :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. Thanks a million, that's really nice of you and I appreciate it. I always want to give honest and balanced feedback and sometimes you do need the time for a proper road test :O). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a million, that's really nice of you and I appreciate it. I always want to give honest and balanced feedback and sometimes you do need the time for a proper road test :O). Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of Kiko but definitely want to try this now!
    nakedbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Tammy - thanks a million! This is definitely a product worth getting :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!