Monday 23 September 2013

Manic.Monday: Star-Trekking Across The Universe

Oh how I love a little sparkle on my nails, or a lot of sparkle for that matter - who doesn't? There are loads of amazing glitter polishes available in all price ranges and they all have their own charm, but for me the absolute GPQ - Glitter Polish Queen, is Deborah Lippmann. You may have read about the Deborah Lippmann polishes in the fashion & beauty magazines, and she's is definitely up there as THE go to manicurist for celebrities. The first glitter polish I feel completely in love with was Mermaid's Dream (even the name is amazing) and I have tried quite a few, but today let's look at my absolute favourite which is called Across the Universe.

Before I talk about the nail polish I just wanted to mention that an interesting fact about Deborah Lippmann is that she is passionate about music and even worked as a jazz singer, so a lot of the polishes have names after song titles. In this case it's appropriate since I've named this post Star-Trekking Across the Universe (which also was the name of a hilarious song that was popular in the UK in the late 80's), although I'm pretty sure that's not what inspired the name of this shade...

This polish is a thick, magnificent blend of little hexagon glimmers in different metallic shades; luminous turquoise, deep grass green and vibrant Klein blue all mixed up in a sheer deep marine base shade. The polish is so dense with glimmers that you really don't need to add this on to a blue or green base shade, although of course you can if you wish. After two coats of this, you'll get a really "opaque" glittery look, that is very shimmery but in a sophisticated way that makes a great impact. Imagine yourself being in a dark forest in the middle of a clear starry night, looking up at the sky, and it's similar to the effect of this shade.

The brush is perhaps a little wider than the average and of good quality that doesn't leave those pesky hairs in the polish, ruining the finish and the formula is easy to work with, despite being so dense with glitter and it's easy to apply in streakfree layers. With this polish you also don't have the same random scattering of glitters and that you may need to adjust to get it somewhat evenly accross the nail.

After two coats I always add a high shine top coat, and you'll get an amazing look that will last for days! Like many other glitter polishes it stays put like nothing else, and you'll actually have a bit of a job removing it, but since this is also a pricier brand this isn't necessarily a bad thing - hey, at least we're getting our money's worth.

What separates this glitter polish from so many of the others on the market is that it's so solid in its glitter look and feel, and there is absolutely nothing girly, soft or pretty about it. To me this stunning and eye catching shade is dark, vampy and a much edgier glitter look that makes a bold statement and I absolutely LOVE it.

I'm also very excited about the new Jewel Heist collection for the A/W which has extravagant, heavily glittered opulent shades, so let's keep on glittering and boldly go where no nail polish has gone before!


38 comments:

  1. That is absolutely stunning! I have a Sally Hansen polish that's very similar, called The Mermaid's Tale xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! What I really like is that it's a little bit different so will need to have a look at the Sally Hansen one too :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm glad you like it! Xx

      Delete
  3. Oh this is so perfect for Autumn, it's simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree - It's perfect for this time of year :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. This is absolutely gorgeous! It's so different and pretty!

    Christina | Passion Obsession - Currently hosting a beauty hamper giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment! Xx

      Delete
  5. Ah this looks so beautiful! I'm such a sucker for a glitter polish and this one just looks perfect!! I neeeeeeed it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I'm glad it's not just me enamoured with it ! Xx

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and for leaving a comment! It's definitely one of my favorite glitter polishes :o). Hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  7. I don't have any DL glitters, but this is so pretty! I do have a few of her polishes but I haven't tried them out yet, so I'll have to do that soon :)

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many lovely ones to choose from too :O). Xx

      Delete
  8. This is so pretty!
    Eden xx edenroses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you so much for visiting! I do like it, it's perfect for this time of year :o). Hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  9. Those nails are amazing! I love it!! :)

    Emily Pérez,
    http://estiloemily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm glad you like it! Xx

      Delete
  10. -lets out a heavy sigh-
    I've been wanting this shade literally for years, but it's wayyy toooo pretty to use!
    I think it's also one of the first polish shades I loved, haha

    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry ʘ‿ʘ | Makeup & Silly things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - but I just HAVE to wear it right now :O). Xx

      Delete
  11. This is such a lovely shade, I am a sucker for anything glittery and this just ticks all the boxes! I need it now, can I borrow yours haha? :)

    http://www.blogthiswithhannah.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - it's perfect for this time of year :). Xx

      Delete
  12. This polish looks soo nice! x

    duggydimples.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - it's a very loved polish for sure :). Xx

      Delete
  13. ooh i love DL polishes! and this one is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million and I can't wait for the new collection to be available to really amp up the glitter :). Xx

      Delete
  14. Never had a DL polish before, but they do look lurrvely! How long does this take to set? Because I have a NYX one similar to this in a pink shade and it takes HOURS!

    www.champagnetote.blogspot.co.uk
    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Hannah! It dries really quickly so that's no issue - it's more the removing bit that's tricky :). Xx

      Delete
  15. That's such a nice polish! I have never tried any Deborah Lippmann products but I would love to get this!

    Alice xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they are amazing and have some lovely shades! Xx

      Delete
  16. Such a pretty colour! I got my first Deborah Lipmann polish a few months back (glitter in the air) I love it..I also found a pack of 3 Deborah Lipmann polishes in tk maxx for £14.99 :) was so happy to find those xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks gorgeous! So pretty and striking.I need this in my life! Charlotte.x

    www.looks2bloved.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is eye catching - glad you like it :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. This polish looks incredible! Thanks for sharing!

    gilead in bloom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria and thanks a million for visiting! It really is a stunner :O). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!