Thursday 12 September 2013

Baby Blue Eyes - Look Mini Make Over Palette

One of my beauty soft spots is palettes, but somehow I very rarely make full use of them. There's usually 2-3 shades that I really like and will use down to the pan, and the rest I'll barely look at. I have also always liked the idea of a palette that has not only eye shadows, but matching lip products and blusher as well, so when I saw the Look Mini Make Over Palette I absolutely had to try it - not that I need another palette to clutter my wardrobe, but I wanted to see if the idea of an all in one palette works in reality. These Look Mini Make Overs come in different shades to create either a rock chic look, or to emphasize blue, green or brown eyes. I have to say that the shades are all very pretty and tempting, but I went with the palette Baby Blue Eyes.

It's a very nifty, thin and compact little palette with 8 eye shadows, 4 lip colors and a blush that fits perfectly even into the smallest of clutches - just imagine never a need to bring 3-4 separate products, when you get them all in a size slightly bigger than a credit card.

The 8 eye shadows are all high sheen, shimmery metallic shades - so they'll be perfect for this A/W make up trends. They are all lovely shades that compliment each together well to create different looks, but personally I would have liked to swap one or two of the metallic shades for a matte peach or champagne shade for more versatility. Swatching the eye shadows I was a bit sceptical since many of the budget palettes look pretty, but the pigmentation is rubbish. Unfortunately the swatches didn't turn out very well in the photo and since they don't have any names or no:s I've tried to describe them below from left to right, top row first - as they are in the palette:
From left to right top row
1. Dark chocolate brown
2.  Copper
3. Gold
4. Sandy buff
From left to right bottom row
5. Pale khaki
6. Peachy pink
7. Light mocha
8. Light taupe   

I can tell you that the swatches don't do these eye shadows any justice at all and despite being metallic shades they are VERY pigmented. The first look I tried, I used the copper and light mocha shades, and the payoff was so strong that I had to spend a good few minutes blending and toning with powder to fade it out. Don't make the same mistake as I did, so I would recommend that you barely touch the eye shadows with your brush and then build it up if need be. Another great thing is that they settle really well on your eyelid without creasing and they last throughout the day - in a way I never would have expected. These can easily be used individually across the eyelid for a vibrant sweep of color and I've tried that with both the taupe and the pale khaki (although this shade isn't as rich as the others). The only thing I wasn't so keen on, was the fall out under my eyes so you might need to apply your eye shadow before the foundation.

I've also described the lip colors and blusher below, in the same way as I did the eye shadows - from left to right, starting with the top row and having the blusher furthest to the right:
From left to right top row
1. Nude beige
2. Cedar rose
From left to right bottom row
3. Peachy coral
4. Classic red (blue undertones)
5. Blusher Golden apricot

While the eye shadows were very pigmented, unfortunately I can't say the same for the lip colors. They are all matte with a fairly dry formula that doesn't apply easily so you have to use quite a lot to build up a color, and even then - the finish is more like a stain. While it's not sticky and it settles well, it doesn't last very long and it does dry, leaving those unattractive marks on your lips, so for me personally I definitely need to prep with a a lip balm before applying any of these shades. Out of the 4 colors, my favourite is the red one and I even surprise myself by saying that - since it gives a subtle matte finish that looks very natural but still noticeable and I've used it a lot with a barely there eye make up and it looks fresh but a small hint of glamour.

Finally we have the blusher, which is a beautiful golden apricot shade with light reflecting shimmer. Again I have to issue a word of warning - this is even more pigmented than the eye shadows, it really has to be seen to be believed! Knowing now exactly how much to use and how to work with it, I absolutely love it. It gives a lovely rosy peachy color and I had almost forgotten what blushers can do for your look. 

Overall this palette is such a lovely surprise and I highly recommend this bargain buy! I love the concept, I love most of the shades and products and I will definitely continue to experiment with it, and may even try some of the other palettes. Have you tried any of the Look Mini Palettes or any other ones with the same all in one idea that you recommend?

47 comments:

  1. Such a lovely in-depth review :) I love the idea of having palettes specifically meant for certain colours of the eyes. I mean I can figure out all the shades by myself but it's so much handier to have them all in the one place. Might look around and see if I can buy this myself :)

    www.debrabros.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Debra - that's so lovely of you, thank you very much! I think it's a brilliant concept and this one is so small and compact :O).

      Delete
  2. Amazing palette for an every day look..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing palette for an every day look..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous palette, love the gold/bronze shades.

    New Follower ♥

    Stevie | Stevie Hearts Makeup
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stevie, thank you so much for visiting! It really is a lovely color combination and what a nice surprise that the pigmentation is great too. Following you too - and hope you'll visit again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. That looks like such a pretty palette Charlotte - good to hear the pigmentation is impressive in the eyeshadows at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, yes it's well worth the few pounds it cost :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. Nice everyday palette and great post.

    www.makeupandstilettos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's so handy to take with you in the handbag as well :o) Xx

      Delete
  7. I usually end up using 2-3 shades and ignoring the others. This palette looks lovely though!

    Jodie Marie | à la Jode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting - yes I'm the same, so we'll see how I do with this one :O). Hope you'll come back and visit again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. This pallete is perfect for daily makeups! Like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, it's a really great buy! Xx

      Delete
  9. Such a pretty palette..
    and so thoroughly explained...xx
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi
    I am a newbie to your blog but I really have enjoyed reading it so I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. Find it here http://budgetbeautyhealth.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/liebster-award.html
    Clare XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi
    I am a newbie to your blog but I really have enjoyed reading it so I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. Find it here http://budgetbeautyhealth.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/liebster-award.html
    Clare XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you so much for visiting and your lovely comments! It's really made my day :o). I did do the Liebster a while back, but since you've been so nice to nominate me, I'll definitely answer your questions on your blog. Following you too, and hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  12. Its a lovely palette :) Really adorable shades :) Beautifully reviewed <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. this sounds so adorable! i would also have liked one matte base colour but it's pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also love a good palette but this pallete sounds just ok for me. I have my eyes on one of the bobbi brown eyeshadow paletts that are out now.

    http://welldressed25.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already seen a lovel MAC that I'm craving - I'm a hopeless case... :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. I love palettes that have different products such as this one. My only complaint is that they shouldn't put the cream products next to the powder ones bc I am such a messy marvin that I always end up with powder in my cream! I love the colors on this palette! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, yes I know what you mean, and I've already been a little messy with it :). Xx

      Delete
  16. Love the lip and blush colors! This really looks like one of those must-have and versatile palettes.
    xo
    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marija and thanks for visting! I'm so happy with it so far, and will definitely try some of the other shades too :). Love your blog and have joined it too - hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  17. This looks like a perfect little pallette to throw in your makeup bag. ALl the shades look quite wearable. :)


    http://between-friends-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello ladies and thank you for visiting! It really is a lovely palette and with such great pigmentation it's a steal :). Joined your blog and hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thanks a million, I might try one of the others too :). Xx

      Delete
  19. These are some really lovely colours! I especially love the really natural ones.

    x leah symonne x

    itsleli.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Leah - thanks so much for visiting and for leaving a comment! This little one was definitely a nice surprise. Joined your blog and hope you'll visit soon again :). Xx

      Delete
  20. This palette is actually perfect for travelling <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I agree and I will bring it with me next week when I'm off traveling :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. Love the natural colours in this palette :)

    www.accordingto-ellie.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellie! Thank you so much, they work really well together :). Hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  22. Very nice everyday make up palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Jonna - thanks a million, I've used it soo much the past 2 weeks, so it really was a great find :O). Xx

      Delete
  23. This palette looks really great. I'm like you where I don't usually use some of the colours but I feel like I'd pretty much use everything in this one!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gold and copper are simply beautiful, but even though I seem have 2 favourites in this one too, the other shades work really well with the others so I know I'll definitely use them :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!